Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:55:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 402428 times)

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
Great looking demon! On a slightly related note I attempted diluting paints to try the wash method, it didn't work as planned the paint pooled into the recesses and didn't create the shadows as planned, a quick wash with a diluted dark blue did though. Looks like I might have to save up for some GW washes! It was a lot quicker than my normal painting though 12 models in one evenings sitting! One more evening just detailing and basing, and they will be done. Thank you for your help everyone.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
That demon looks awesome. I really want it!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

Beefcake: I got him here.

Hobby Services: he's from the late 70s or very early 80s orginally, as part of of the "Devils with separate heads" pack (01-110 here).

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Thanks. I've seen him there often but never a painted version. The human skin tones work creepily well.

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
I'm experimenting in thinning colours with water and medium, using them as washes. This give me much more freedom in chosing colours.
It's also true that nothin forbids me mixing washes to obtain new tones...

I mix up batches of my own wash medium using a 1::1 ratio of distilled water :: Liquitex acrylic matte medium.  Then I put that in a dropper bottle and mix up washes on the fly using roughly 1::10 paint :: wash mix, adjusted as needed for how thick or pigment saturated the paint in question is.  I find this gives me custom washes with the same coverage and consistency of GW or Army Painter washes.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
Nice work on the Reaper monsters and demon!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Hey dude - no update for a while? All well?

I got hold of Heroes for Wargames (I've wanted it for ages but didn't want to pay much for it!) and it's got me thinking about gloss varnish, which got me thinking about this thread again. What do you think about the base and gloss? Matt base with glossed minis or gloss the whole lot? I'm intrigued by the '3 coats of gloss' effect mentioned in the book, and might try it on some fantasy minis.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
All well, thanks! Just back from a couple of weeks in France, and frantically busy at work before that. The painting table is covered in loads of half-finished things (great goblins/gnolls, real gnolls, trolls, more Ral Partha orcs, etc., etc.).

Should have some stuff tonight for the Into the Odd thread I started the other day. I got the first conversion done last night and slapped the base colours on it before work this morning.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I got hold of Heroes for Wargames (I've wanted it for ages but didn't want to pay much for it!) and it's got me thinking about gloss varnish, which got me thinking about this thread again. What do you think about the base and gloss? Matt base with glossed minis or gloss the whole lot? I'm intrigued by the '3 coats of gloss' effect mentioned in the book, and might try it on some fantasy minis.

I like the contrast between a matt base and a gloss figure. With 15mm figures, I often gloss the whole thing, then matt the base if I can be bothered (sometimes the texture of the base makes the gloss hard to spot). With 28mm, I generally just leave the base as is and just varnish the figure.

Oddly enough, I was thinking about using matt for the Into the Odd project, but I probably just won't get round to it once I've glossed them first!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
For minis that lots of other people will be touching, gloss sure makes the most sense?! :)

Cheers for that - that's what I figured - gloss mini, matt base. I can feel a weird, fantasy into sci-fi project forming for use with Rogue Planet, and I fancy taking a totally different painting approach. Good to push the boat and all that!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's a rather rare lizardman - an old Citadel one from a small Perry range in the early 80s. One of the range ended up in the dungeon monsters boxed set, so is far more common. But I'd never clapped eyes on this fellow beyond the line drawing in the early catalogues until I saw him on eBay:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:25:52 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Some quick kitbashes from this afternoon: the People of the Roots.

They're primarily for Into the Odd, but I'm sure they'll end up in other games - especially once I get a dozen or so made.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
I love those! Great kit bashing & perfect colors. What are the bodies?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

The bodies are Oathmark goblins.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Ah, thats a pretty clever and effective kit-bash.

Very cool! :)