Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:42:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689609
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 535
Total: 538

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 401364 times)

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (dwarves, hobbit and wizard)
« Reply #1665 on: September 02, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
Love the Dwerfs and the  baddies with the face paint!
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (dwarves, hobbit and wizard)
« Reply #1666 on: September 09, 2018, 02:19:09 PM »
I love those! Your blog post about how more Dwarfs should be villains was very true and these guys prove that they can look like the scary, spiteful creatures from various folklore.

Assuming these ones ARE villains, anyway. They certainly look a bit evil.  ;)

Many thanks! They were the PCs in last week's D&D, but they were very much in the murder-hobo tradition (so at least a bit evil!).

Love the Dwerfs and the  baddies with the face paint!

Thanks! I was thinking more along the lines of blue-faced golden monkeys (for D&D-style blue-nosed hobgoblins), but it could equally well be face paint. 

I got a sudden itching for 15mm this week and bought these guys on eBay (Alternative Armies Dracci). The source of the itch was the Xenos Rampant DR hack on the Future Wars section of this forum. When I was a kid, most of our 40K games involved primitives vs high-tech types, and Xenos Rampant looks like it will cater to that very well. We've played a bit of 15mm science-fantasy Dragon Rampant, usually using Elite Foot with ranged weapons and Venomous shooting to represent space-marine types, as well as Scouts with Venomous shooting for sniper units. But XR looks a better fit.

Anyway, these guys struck me as suitable for low-tech Elite Foot in a DR/XR game. And there are high-tech versions (and artillery) available too, so I may expand them into a full army. But I like my miniatures to be multi-purpose where possible, and it also occurred to me that they'd do quite nicely as 28mm 'kobolds' in the modern D&D sense. I don't like the use of the word 'kobold' for draconic creatures, as it has no folkloric underpinning (whereas kobolds as goblins of the mines does, as does the concept of animal-headed goblins). But I do very much like the idea of small dragonish creatures that indicate the presence of actual dragons. So these guys might be the start of a dragon-themed D&D adventure.

I'll probably call them 'dragonewts' rather than kobolds, though - which leads to a third use for them. Although I have a lot of 28mm broo that I'm slowly painting up, I suspect that if I ever do any miniatures-based Gloranthan gaming, it'll be in 15mm, as it's far easier and quicker to paint up batches of hoplites or whatever. So these guys, who are big for 15mm, could work quite nicely as second-stage dragonewt warriors, with the big, winged lord acting as a full priest.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (dracci, dragonewts - or kobolds?)
« Reply #1667 on: September 10, 2018, 05:46:38 AM »
Oh. They're very good. I'm very keen to see you delve into 15mm again!

Is the shield with the pre-slotta knight painted? If yes, wow...that's awesome.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (dracci, dragonewts - or kobolds?)
« Reply #1668 on: September 10, 2018, 05:57:53 AM »
Very nice painting on the Dracci. Great that you can use them in 15mm as well as 28mm.
I love those dwarves. I have a few of those Asgard ones.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1669 on: September 10, 2018, 01:19:18 PM »
Thanks, both!

Is the shield with the pre-slotta knight painted? If yes, wow...that's awesome.

Yes - if you zoom in on it, you can see that it's actually fairly crude.

beefcake,

Yes - using miniatures in more than one scale is a huge saver of time and energy. The other weekend, I used these guys as 28mm goblins, even though I'd based them up as 15mm ogres. Just to confuse things, they're actually 25mm black orcs! One thing I noticed during the game is that no one noticed or cared that the 15mm types are based on pennies and the 28mms on slotta bases. So that's one less thing to worry about!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #1670 on: September 12, 2018, 10:03:39 AM »
Those Dragon-newts are fantasic - that's some really lovely painting. I'm on a full 15mm burnout at the moment - enjoying 28mm, can't bring myself to pick up a 15... very weird for me!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #1671 on: September 12, 2018, 10:08:49 AM »
Those Dragon-newts are fantasic - that's some really lovely painting. I'm on a full 15mm burnout at the moment - enjoying 28mm, can't bring myself to pick up a 15... very weird for me!

@ Jagannath: I feel the same and wondered if I was alone! No, it seems, from time to time, one simply needs a longer break from  15s... :?

@ Hobgoblin: Maybe painting for several scales at the same time, is the solution to this. It's amazig what you churn out, and really visionary to think about using certain models for more than one scale!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1672 on: September 12, 2018, 11:17:48 AM »

Yes - if you zoom in on it, you can see that it's actually fairly crude.

beefcake,

Yes - using miniatures in more than one scale is a huge saver of time and energy. The other weekend, I used these guys as 28mm goblins, even though I'd based them up as 15mm ogres. Just to confuse things, they're actually 25mm black orcs! One thing I noticed during the game is that no one noticed or cared that the 15mm types are based on pennies and the 28mms on slotta bases. So that's one less thing to worry about!

it that's crude, wish I could manage awful.

black orcs are old chronicles aren't they? - liked those a lot. Remember buying a load off the designer at one of the early (pre=Ansell) game days.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1673 on: September 12, 2018, 01:52:35 PM »
Thanks, all!

black orcs are old chronicles aren't they? - liked those a lot. Remember buying a load off the designer at one of the early (pre=Ansell) game days.

Yes - they were much smaller than other Citadel orcs when they were released (the slotta-based versions are about twice the size), but they're so fierce and brutish-looking that they actually work better as 15mm ogres, I think. It's a similar story with the kobolds, which I also have based up primarily for 15mm - as gnolls. In returning to 15mm, I discovered another dozen or so of the black orcs still to be painted, and I've got a whole lot of the matching wolfriders too. That raises a separate set of basing questions ...

If I can get five penny-based infantry on a 60mm square, I'm thinking of getting appropriate sabots so that these figures and others can be used as hordes in 28mm Hordes of the Things.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1674 on: September 25, 2018, 10:27:46 PM »
Working from home today, I challenged myself to a one-hour paintjob at lunchtime. I was cheating a bit as I already had this chaos warrior undercoated and preshaded, and I went back to work in the drying time for the washes, but he was an hour of total painting time on the nose.

I'm possibly unusual in that I prefer the older Perry chaos warriors to these Jez Goodwin classics, but there's no denying that the Goodwin fellows have plenty of heft. I find the Perry ones easier to paint, though - I'm never quite satisfied with the way I get armour to work on the Goodwin ones.

Here he is with the giak I recently added to the Old School thread.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a quick chaos warrior)
« Reply #1675 on: September 25, 2018, 10:40:07 PM »
Very nice. The red looks great.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a quick chaos warrior)
« Reply #1676 on: September 28, 2018, 12:21:20 AM »
Thanks!

Here's a growing band of yellow orcs:

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with more orcs!)
« Reply #1677 on: September 28, 2018, 12:35:23 AM »
They look great - chap on the right is particularly good.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #1678 on: September 28, 2018, 01:59:06 AM »
That red knight is awesome!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1679 on: September 29, 2018, 11:33:13 PM »
Thanks, both!

The orc band is one stronger now: