Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:09:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 395633 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
love the old chronicle / lund orcs etc too. wish they were available again - got rid of mine long ago.

they look amazingly good with your paint-jobs.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
Lovely orcs, these - if an orc can be described as "lovely"!

Finished reading The Hobbit to my son at the end of the summer, and we started The Lord of the Rings. Have just reached the end of The Fellowship  of the Ring, and he loves it. We got some dwarf miniatures to put together Thorin's Company (and a hobbit and a wizard), and now the Wizard will do double duty for the inevitable collection of the Fellowship, which my son is very taken with. He particularly likes Frodo and Gimli.

Slightly off-topic, I realize, but it's clear to me that having these books read aloud to him is having a very formative effect on my son (who is eight). I should also add that Bill the Pony was such a particular favorite that we made sure to get the Reaper Bones pack donkey to complete the Fellowship!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

Slightly off-topic, I realize, but it's clear to me that having these books read aloud to him is having a very formative effect on my son (who is eight). I should also add that Bill the Pony was such a particular favorite that we made sure to get the Reaper Bones pack donkey to complete the Fellowship!

It's definitely worth doing! My son more or less learned to read through The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. At the start, he'd struggle through one sentence, and I'd read the rest. By the end, he was reading five or six pages before I took over. And it's an unsurpassed exercise in nostalgia for parents!

Here's another big orc. A very big one ...

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a very big orc indeed)
« Reply #1758 on: November 18, 2018, 11:14:15 PM »
And here's Ushtug the Gut from the GW/Chronicle Death Commandos box.

I've got two of him, and I was going to add the other - and the rest of my Chronicle giant black orcs - to the ranks of my blue-skinned 'winter orcs' (just one is painted so far).

But I'm increasingly inclined to strip the blue chap and just base and paint all of the black orcs in this scheme. It's much quicker than doing them blue, and the addition of the black orcs will give me plenty of 'officers/characters/elites' alongside the EM4 plastics and the cruder Grenadier types.

The red orcs that I painted early on in this thread are definitely destined for the biostrip; the question is whether they end up blue or in this Europeanish skin tone. Any opinions gratefully received!

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (giant orc and Ushtug the Gut!)
« Reply #1759 on: November 19, 2018, 04:58:52 AM »
Once again, brilliant painting.  I would love to see you also paint (apart from the elves) Mirliton's figure called Duncan the Legend, or better still, the Goblin War Giant.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (giant orc and Ushtug the Gut!)
« Reply #1760 on: November 19, 2018, 04:41:34 PM »
Once again, brilliant painting.  I would love to see you also paint (apart from the elves) Mirliton's figure called Duncan the Legend, or better still, the Goblin War Giant.

Thanks!

No plans for either of those in the near future (lots of orcs to go first!), but the Duncan miniature is a very nice giant. So one day, maybe!

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1761 on: November 21, 2018, 11:25:46 PM »
A half-orc witch:

Offline peleset

• Librarian
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a half-orc witch!)
« Reply #1762 on: November 22, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »
Lovely painting; that and the style of the sculpt remind me a lot of the Talisman figures and Gary Chalk artwork.
Thief, Reaver, Slayer.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #1763 on: November 22, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
Is it just me or does she look like Lady Gaga?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1764 on: November 23, 2018, 07:35:23 AM »
She's pretty...

ugly.
Nice job

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1765 on: November 26, 2018, 08:18:36 AM »
Thanks, all! I'm sure she'd be happy wearing a dress made of meat.

Here's a Grenadier Elf. I used the same minimalist two-tone approach as on the orcs - so most areas have no shading and just a single highlight. The exceptions are the flesh and the leather.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a Grenadier elf)
« Reply #1766 on: November 26, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
He's looking great; sort of a green Drow?

And when reading the updated thread title, the first image that went through my mind, was an elf in fatigues pulling a grenade pin with his teeth! lol

It's nearly midday, but apparently I'm as alert as if I only just woke up... ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1767 on: November 26, 2018, 12:50:54 PM »
He's looking great; sort of a green Drow?

Thanks! He's really more of an attempt to make elves sinister. One thing that I don't really like in generic "fantasy" settings is the idea that dwarfs are little Vikings or Scotsmen and elves are either simply superhumans or twee woodland dwellers. I think both should be sinister, dangerous and often downright villainous - as they are so often in folklore. So my dwarfs are blue-skinned (echoing their "corpse-like" description in Norse myth) and glowing-eyed (because they're subterranean creatures). And my elves, I think, will be green, because they're creatures of the woods and not human at all.

And when reading the updated thread title, the first image that went through my mind, was an elf in fatigues pulling a grenade pin with his teeth! lol

Well, that would certainly be one way to make elves more dangerous!

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1768 on: December 01, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »
Here's a Grenadier wolfrider. I've got a big batch of Chronicle wolfriders (which I prefer, though they all mix in well enough) to follow.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a Grenadier wolfrider)
« Reply #1769 on: December 01, 2018, 10:12:44 AM »
2 more great additions.