Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:36:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690761
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 402880 times)

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Wow, that penguin is the stuff of nightmares (good nightmare though!)
Fantastic painting on those old citadel plastics as well. I have a bunch of the axe and shield beastmen to do but been putting them off as I wasn't convinced I could do a good job with them, if I can get them half as nice as yours, I'd be pleased!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks! I've had a bit of practice with that particular figure; there are two on the very first page of this thread, and then there's this chap:

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thanks - and sure!

The chaos warrior was sprayed Wraithbone. I painted the metals in Vallejo Natural Steel and Vallejo Bronze, then used contrast paints (Blood Angels Red and Wychwood) on the rest. The axe grip got a coat of Snakebite Leather over the Wychwood. Then the metals got a wash of Agrax Earthshade and highlights in silver and gold. That was it. All paints were straight from the pot.

The lizardmen were coated in Plaguebearer Green and then got a coat of Skeleton Horde over that. Their undersides and teeth were straight Skeleton Horde, with the latter highlighted in white. Loincloths were Blood Angels Red, and the weapons were bronze/Agrax/gold.

The orc was largely painted much earlier using thinned paint over Agrax preshading and white drybrushing. But I did use a mix of Blood Angels Red and Snakebite Leather over his tunic and Snakebite Leather over his boots.

Plaguebearer Flesh (as opposed to Green) is what you meant correct?  I don't know my Citadel paint range but it's the only contrast paint name that came close when I googled it.  Would you say that it the end result is yellowish or is it a trick of lighting?  I only ask because I like the end results quite a lot :)   Any particular thought process behind mixing contrast paints?  Just basic colour theory?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
A question here. I bought a bunch of contrast paints, so far I only have Wyldwood but the colour it is marketed at looks like a reddy brown

But when it arrived it was a very dark brown despite the amount of shaking. Is this typical of the contrast paints. (I don't know if you have that specific one).

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Hey Justin very interesting, I think I will check out those paints when I get home.
Just downloaded those Alan Garner books as somehow missed them back in the day.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
A question here. I bought a bunch of contrast paints, so far I only have Wyldwood but the colour it is marketed at looks like a reddy brown

But when it arrived it was a very dark brown despite the amount of shaking. Is this typical of the contrast paints. (I don't know if you have that specific one).

my Wyldwood is similarly dark - it's the darkest of the browns they produce I think.
product photo is misleading. swatch on GW website is much closer - I'd go by those rather than the photos?
gore grunta is more of a red-brown.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:35:45 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
Thanks! I've had a bit of practice with that particular figure; there are two on the very first page of this thread, and then there's this chap:

Wow, they are also great. I might have to borrow some inspiration from these guys when I get back around to painting my odd ball sci-fi warbands!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
my Wyldwood is similarly dark - it's the darkest of the browns they produce I think.
product photo is misleading. swatch on GW website is much closer - I'd go by those rather than the photos?
gore grunta is more of a red-brown.
Thanks. I watched a youtube comparison video afterwards and saw that (Cygor brown seems to be even darker) I'll probably pick up the GoreGrunta as well at some stage for variation as browns are always useful. :)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
interesting - I've got cygor as one step 'up' from wyldwood myself. Will have to look at that again.

anyhow - sorry Hobgoblin - look forward to seeing more of your figs - contrast paints or not.  :)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Wow, the WGF shocktroop arms fit the gnoll really well. Good idea. Wishing I'd bought more gnoll now  lol
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Some very quick 15mm Dracci for HotT (using the 28mm 'footprint'):

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (15mm HotT reptile blades)
« Reply #1916 on: July 06, 2019, 10:38:22 AM »
Sweet! I like those minis but I've had bad luck with the casting quality from that range and I can't be bothered to fight with bad 15mm castings any more! haha

Is the red Contrast? Seems like the perfect use for it, it's hard hard to paint tiny scales

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1917 on: July 06, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »
you really are getting great results.

I'm doing ok - but nowhere near as quick as you from what you're saying.

*they're mostly 'blood angels red' ? One of the good paints from the range, that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:50:43 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1918 on: July 06, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »
Thanks! Yes, they're all contrast apart from the armour and the highlights on the teeth. For the obsidian weapons, I used contrast black and then the 'Warp Lightning' green.

On Alternative Armies casting: I bought a batch of their Asgard 15mm dwarves a year or two ago and did nothing with them because the casts looked so horrendous. But the other day, I dug them out and cleaned them up (much more quickly than I'd expected: the shiny metal made them look much worse than they were). I've been painting them up with contrast and they're coming along nicely. They'll form several blades elements for my 15/28 HotT project.

I'm hoping the contrast paints will also help with the Magister Militum 15mm lizardmen that I acquired a while back. They're tiny and consist of lots of duplicates of each pose, so painting them has been a bit daunting. But I think the various greens, yellows and greys in the contrast range will allow me to variegate them fairly quickly and painlessly.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1919 on: July 07, 2019, 11:35:20 AM »
Here are some Essex dwarves done very quickly with contrast paints: