Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 401522 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (1/72 Dark Alliance nomads)
« Reply #2115 on: September 22, 2020, 08:25:27 PM »
Thanks, chaps! Lots more 1/72 to come - I have an entire lizardman army and some minotaurs just about there ...

But in the meantime, here are a couple of quick beastmen. I kitbashed a whole load of chaotics at the start of lockdown, and got quite a few painted up. I've decided to whizz through some of the rest, with the aim of using them in square-based HotT ("MicroHotT as my son and I call it - basically, HotT games with individually based figures and huge armies AP-wise).

What I'm doing is just drybrushing them grey and white over black, using contrast paints to colour in most of the figure and then choosing one area to paint in more detail (usually the face/skin). It's fast and dirty, but these guys are only going to be 1AP horde units, so it's all they need.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (quick'n'dirty beastmen)
« Reply #2116 on: September 24, 2020, 12:12:21 AM »
Lovely!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2117 on: September 24, 2020, 07:59:36 AM »
Very cool. Love the beastman.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2118 on: October 10, 2020, 07:04:56 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Here's a unit of Fantasy Warriors orc archers (metals by Nick Lund, plastics by Mark Copplestone). My son and I have been playing through various 'square-base' wargames, starting with Warhammer and Chainmail. We've got Ral Partha's Chaos Wars lined up next, so orc archers were required in a 12-strong batch. I had one plastic fellow done and the four metal ones about halfway, so decided to add in seven more plastic archers and blitz through them. As with all my Lund orcs, these are done to a very simple scheme, with only one layer of highlights on most areas (one more on the flesh). It's quick and reasonably effective, I hope.

I'm aiming to get some matching cavalry, heavies and more infantry done shortly, as we've got a lot of games to play with them. We'll be playing Battlesystem, Sword & Spell, Book of War, individually based HotT and Chaos Wars, as well as returning to Saga - the game that prompted me to start painting up the Lund orcs in the first place. 

I must say that the Copplestone EM4 plastic orcs are much underrated. For all that they're monopose, they're really good, simple miniatures. I reckon they hold up well against a hell of a lot of contemporary orcs; they're nicely understated and have just the right amount of grotesqueness.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
I have a bunch of them and the dwarfs stashed away somewhere.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I have a bunch of them and the dwarfs stashed away somewhere.

I've got a batch of dwarfs too - I'll need to get on to them to give the orcs some opposition!

Here are three more orcs. I don't like the shaman very much; he'll be playing second fiddle to Mormo Jabberbinder (from Eeza Ugezod's Death Commandos) when I get him done. I do like the other two, though: I reckon they're classics of the Lund style: brawny, brutish and bristling with aggression. And here are some of the archers again in better light.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Nice work. Sorry I complimented your work on the last lot in my head and forgot to write it down in the post. Great stuff I still love visiting this thread. :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Cheers! Comments are just as welcome as compliments!

Here's one more I finished yesterday: a Grenadier goblin. One thing I really like about the Chronicle/Grenadier spectrum of Nick Lund's miniatures is that the slightly different types can be mixed in with good effect. So many of the goblins are as big or bigger than the orcs and even, in some cases, the ogres: the biggest Grenadier goblin is on a par with the smaller Chronicle ogres. I mix them all into the same units to give a bit of variety. I reckon the 'goblins' might serve as half-orcs, as they're only really distinguished by slightly more human faces and longer hair.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's the first unit I've specifically painted for Oathmark. Or possibly two units, as these could be three standard ogres and a solitary linebreaker (the gent with the big club). They're Reaper Bones bugbears, but they struck me as just the right size for Oathmark's 50mm bases. And I though one on its own might work as a buggane (a shaggy, ogre-like creature - originally from Manx folklore).

Very quick and simple paintjobs, but they were ordered, delivered and painted all within a week, so they're officially leadpile-neutral!

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (ogres for Oathmark!)
« Reply #2124 on: October 22, 2020, 08:04:15 AM »
Fabulous work as ever

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #2125 on: October 22, 2020, 09:42:58 AM »
"Leadpile-neutral"; that's a brilliant phrase, I'll have to remember that!
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2126 on: October 22, 2020, 09:54:17 AM »
Very nice. Always been on my Reaper Wishlist those buggys

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #2127 on: October 22, 2020, 10:17:39 AM »
Excellent paint jobs. I have the same figures part painted,  though not as nice as yours.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2128 on: October 22, 2020, 03:57:57 PM »
Thanks, guys! Here are two more units for Oathmark - one painted last night and today and the other simply rebased: dwarf linebreakers and an eachy.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:56:23 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Oathmark dwarves and eachy)
« Reply #2129 on: October 22, 2020, 05:08:33 PM »
Awesome paintjob  :-*, I especially like the troll.
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com