Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:21:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690414
  • Total Topics: 118330
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 402186 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2015, 08:34:11 PM »
Another orc added. I think Citadel/GW have never surpassed the old Armoured Orcs range:

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2015, 09:49:53 PM »
Another orc added. I think Citadel/GW have never surpassed the old Armoured Orcs range:

I would tend to agree. Very nice mini and very nice paintjob :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2015, 10:07:29 PM »
Thanks, affun!

An aside (and minor rant): looking at the Perry and Morrison wonders that I've recently retrieved from their decades-long exile in cellar and attic, it strikes me that Warhammer 3rd edition was (aesthetically) a disaster for Citadel miniatures. Why? Because a stringent what-you-see-is-what-you-get mentality began to emerge. Before long, they were no longer producing "armoured orcs" or simply "orcs", but "orcs with polearms", "orc archers", "orcs with spears", and so on. And gradually, a lo of the charm of the old miniatures ebbed away.

A couple of examples should help to illustrate this. The Perrys' Armoured Orc range (based on a wonderful John Blanche sketch) are armed and armoured in a whole range of ways. Some have two-handed weapons, some have shields, some have one or two "hand weapons" (with or without shields) or spears, some have bows or crossbows, one is throwing a javelin, and a couple are even armed with darts. Compare and contrast with today's GW orcs, which come with either "hand weapons" or spears (and of course the idea is that all 10 in a box will be equipped identically).

And the old night and great goblins are equally diverse: two-handed weapons, polearms, spears, slings, bows, spears, nets, dual weapons, knives and javelins.

It clearly wasn't just a designer thing: the earlier Kev Adams sculpts have a pleasing variety of weapons (like that crossbow-armed boar rider I'm working on, shown above). But around the time I stopped playing Warhammer (some way into 3rd edition), it was all getting very regimented. The dart-armed orc in heavy armour was, sadly, long gone.

A parallel development was the "maxing out" of leader figures. Citadel's early orc/goblin (for example) leaders aren't generally huge or heavily armed - the first (and best) Grom just had a sword, as had many of the leaders in the Book of Battalions: they weren't equipped for maximum gaming potential. But just look at Grom: every version gets heavier armour or arms (first a shield, then two-handed weapons ...), and every version is an inferior model to its predecessor.

So it goes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:05:05 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2015, 11:17:41 PM »
Nice work.
BTW, Where did that Orc get that fancy yellow cloak from?

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
BTW, Where did that Orc get that fancy yellow cloak from?

He stole it from Gary Chalk's dreams. Orcs are sneaky that way ;)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2015, 11:34:09 PM »
Or plundered it from a Blanchian wraith ...  ;)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2015, 01:30:11 PM »
The Old Boys look SPLENDID in their paler skin shades. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2015, 07:40:03 AM »
Thanks, DeafNala.

Here's an oldie: an Asgard dragon lizard. Not quite finished, but getting there.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2015, 07:47:22 AM »
And with some WIP orcish friends:

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2015, 09:15:56 AM »
More angles of the asgard dragon lizard please! Love the look of it and have been close to buying it from vikingforge for a while. Do you have any more of their lozard minis? The red works so well for it.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »
It's the only one I have, I think: I acquired it second-hand in the 1980s. It was either without the mace-end on its tail or lost it thereafter, so I quickly (and clumsily) built a new one with green stuff. It is a terrific beastie, though: the quality of the sculpting is perhaps not immediately apparent when you see the raw metal, but painting it reveals a really nice sculpt. It's by Nick Bibby, I think, and you can see the same sort of naturalism and weight distribution as in the Great Spined Dragon he did for Citadel. The other ones in the range look really good - especially the land dragon/behemoth (which featured in one of Gary Chalk and Joe Dever's Tabletop Heroes columns in White Dwarf.

I'll get it finished tonight and post some more (and better, I hope!) photos.

I'm planning to stat it out for SBH along the following lines:

Q3, C4, Big, Tough, Group Fighter (given sword, claws, horns, teeth, tail and six limbs), Tailslap and possibly Amphibious and/or Slow.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2015, 01:26:42 PM »
That's one of those minis that I have a vague remembrance of from long ago. You certainly did an OUTSTANDING paint job on the Old Guy...the new mace tail is an improvement. VERY WELL DONE!

Offline rednorseman

• Librarian
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2015, 02:14:59 PM »
Love what you've done with those orcs! Awesome.
cheers

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2015, 09:13:12 PM »
I finally found the time to look carefully at this thread: let me say that I find it wonderful, very inspiring, and with some beautifully painted models. Great job, keep on sharing with us!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2015, 12:35:52 AM »
Thanks very much, all!

Here are a few more shots - most not quite finished, but good to go after a final touch-up, I hope: