Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:10:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689773
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 401589 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And with some friends. I like mixing manufacturers in units, and I think these chaps go together nicely. The "uruk" with the shield is a little smaller; I have all the others of his sort, I think, who can serve as a smaller breed or as half-ogres. They, along with Throgg's hobgoblins (also by Jez Goodwin) bear a similar relationship to the Goodwin ogres as the Chronicle hobgoblins do to the newly painted ogre. Eventually, I plan to have a full DR warband of these varieties; I've probably already got enough for a SoBH warband. The Acropolis uggruck fills out the ranks amply.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:08:01 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Very nice. I'm eagerly awaiting DR to have a read of the rules.

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
Really great thread - have got a lot of inspiration from it!
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
TERRIFIC STUFF! The Big Guys painted up in FINE fashion. The shield is INSPIRATIONAL...I need to make a few. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's a quick orc I painted this evening for a friend at work (he's just started playing Descent with his family, and I thought he could do with a villain to replace the cardboard counters for the fat goblin, etc.).

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
Wow! Those look awesome!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

Here are some attempts at Middle Earth orcs. I've been digging out and otherwise amassing orcs that broadly fit Tolkien's conception. The main thing is that they have to be small. I've harped on about it often enough here, but it's very clear from LotR that even the biggest of Tolkien's goblins - the Uruk-hai - are significantly smaller than Men. There's ample evidence for this, but the most obvious thing is that the half-orcs - who are described as "Men" have Orcish features but Mannish height: it's their size that strikes people as odd, because Men - as Gollum observes - are "much bigger" than Orcs. And of course, the smallest ones must be roughly Hobbit-sized (because Sam and Frodo can pass themselves off as Orcs).

Anyway, I'm combining Asgard, Ral Partha, Denizen, Reider and Chronicle in this, so variety is very much a feature. Here are a couple of Chronicle "black orcs" that could work as smallish Uruks or bigger examples of the smaller breeds; I get the impression that there was a blurry line between them - as with the "larger and bolder" of the Northerners who stay with the Isengarders when the rest flee (of course, those larger, bolder Northerners may well be Uruks, as Moria had plenty of them). The Ral Partha "giant goblin" archer is definitely an Uruk, and the Viking is just there for scale.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Nice. :) I like the eye on the banner!

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
Nice job on those orcs (or should it be "Goblins?). Certainly evocative of Tolkien's descriptions of the foot soldiers of Mordor (or at least how I pictured them in my mind's eye when reading his books)!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Nice job on those orcs (or should it be "Goblins?). Certainly evocative of Tolkien's descriptions of the foot soldiers of Mordor (or at least how I pictured them in my mind's eye when reading his books)!

Thanks! It should be both! They're one and the same in The Lord of the Rings. I always find it odd that D&D and Warhammer seem to have somehow obscured the fact that Tolkien uses "goblin" to describe the Uruk-hai. ;)

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
I really like the way you painted the orcs.  I love the old figures, they were so full of character.  Keep them coming.

Justin

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I really like the way you painted the orcs.  I love the old figures, they were so full of character.  Keep them coming.

Justin

Thanks!

Here are a few more. I've been playing around with some chimp-like colouration with these:

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
I've been playing around with some chimp-like colouration with these:

Hurray! lol Looks good.

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
The Mordor chimps look good! Especially like the eye design on the shield - very effective.

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
Very impressive thread. Some of the nicest renditions of "old school" Orcs I've seen. I particularly like your freehand shields and choice of colours.

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.