Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:04:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 403499 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Thats certainly funky!

But is a big chunk of lead, which is always good for a monster, one of the reasons I like smaller scale figures, is that you can get good chunkier monsters in the game.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here are some trolls awaiting basing. These 10mm Copplestone sculpts need no introduction, but they're actually more appropriate, size-wise, for 15mm LotR gaming. My only grumble with them is that I wish the hammer heads were a quarter of the size. But they're excellent otherwise, and so obvious is their literary inspiration that I can forgive the entirely non-canonical loincloths!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And with some uruks (also awaiting completion of their base):

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (15mm trolls for Mayhem)
« Reply #483 on: July 10, 2016, 08:37:31 PM »
Nice work on some nice figures.

I've got a pile of those Copplestone Trolls - need to get them in an army, then get them painted! might be stealing your paint scheme at that point.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #484 on: July 10, 2016, 10:09:51 PM »
Cool. Great to see the old Tin Soldier miniatures out in force too. I have a bunch of those. They were the first miniatures I ever got.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #485 on: July 10, 2016, 10:17:36 PM »
Nice work on some nice figures.

Thanks!

Cool. Great to see the old Tin Soldier miniatures out in force too. I have a bunch of those. They were the first miniatures I ever got.

They're great figures, aren't they? I picked up these ones second-hand, and it took me a while to identify them. But I may well get some more, once the hordes of 15mm.co.uk orcs in the queue have been dispatched. To my eye, the Tin Soldier orcs have a certain kinship with the great Ral Partha giant goblins/orcs/half-orcs - from the low-slung stances to the drooping scrota (I think I rendered a few of these orcs Unsullied before realising that it wasn't flash).

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #486 on: July 11, 2016, 03:50:39 AM »
 lol
They're pretty cheap as well (although I keep thinking 28mm)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #487 on: July 17, 2016, 10:44:44 AM »
Here is the state of play with the evil army for Mayhem. Not there yet - I think 12 elements is the minimum, and I'm aiming for 20-25, but getting there ...

I've also got a new side-project on the go: horde bases for 28mm Hordes of the Things. I have some decades-old HOTT armies that have come out of retirement, but only a single horde to go with them (some others are based up in the cellar but unfinished - and may be rebased with the second-edition horde base size). We've played a few games recently and have got hooked again (I loved the game when I first played it as a teenager - it cast a very harsh light on Warhammer). So I want to get a large number - 10 or 12 of horde bases painted up.

A rummage in the cellar revealed dozens of old Fiend Factory Citadel goblins: some in need of minor repairs and others pristine. It also turned up a lot of Acropolis goblins, which go quite well with the Fiend Factory ones, and various other odds and ends: some slightly goofy Ral Partha orcs (the ones now sold by Alternative Armies), the Acropolis hobgoblin equivalents, some Fiend Factory hobgoblins and some Grenadier odds and ends.

I've started painting these up in batches; they'll go five or six to a base, and I'll put some of the larger types at the front (or rear if whip-wielding) of some of the bases. They're not the best sculpts, any of these, but they've got a bit of character, and I think they'll look good en masse. Photos to follow as I complete some ...

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
The forces of darkness assemble!

Looking good (well evil) you know what I mean ;)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

Here are the first of the 28mm horde goblins. They're unbased as yet because they'll be crammed in their fives or sixes onto 60 x 40mm rectangles. I've got loads of the spearman, who'll work well in the back rank. The overseer with the whip will also go at the back ("Where there's a whip there's a will, my slugs!").

These are, obviously, super-quick paintjobs: I've got six more close to completion, so will be well on my way to two hordes by the end of the evening. There will be lots of duplicates involved; I plan on painting them in batches that will inevitably vary a bit by colour scheme and then mixing them up by basing for maximum variation.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (and back to 28mm ...)
« Reply #490 on: July 17, 2016, 07:36:05 PM »
That guy on the left is the same as the one Alternative Armies is selling in this pack, right? http://www.alternative-armies.com/products/oh11-orc-fanatics

If so, he looks pretty huge! Was thinking about getting some of them, but they seem sorta out of scale now. Any chance of taking a picture next to some one "man-sized"?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #491 on: July 17, 2016, 09:55:24 PM »
Yes, that's the one. I had a dim notion that they were originally released - incongruously - by Ral Partha (though I wonder if that's just because Delaney King labelled some of the same range RP on her blog). I bought them in 1991, I think; they were possibly the last miniatures I bought for 20-odd years.

Here's the comparison - with a Gripping Beast viking and a couple of Perry men-at-arms. The orcs are huge - they'd be about eight feet tall if they stood up, though this one can't, given the uneven size of his legs!

I'm planning these goblin hordes to be "Tolkienish" - usable for, say, gaming The Battle of the Five Armies but not the Pelennor fields (given that The Hobbit includes far less info on orcs than LotR!), so I'm not too bothered by the hugeness of the overseer. I'll be filling up some other bases with more Tolkienesque orcs soon enough ...

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #492 on: July 17, 2016, 10:32:45 PM »
He definitely is a big 'un. Might be a bit of troll or ogre in him. Might be Ral Partha, but as far as I know, Alternative Armies are re-releasing the old Asgard Miniatures. But in general, my Ral Partha lore is a bit weak.
At least he's extremely characterful, even if his anatomy is a bit, err, 'accidental'. But that kinda tends to suit orcy types. Looking forward to seeing the unit completed.

I was thinking of getting a few of his hunchbacked friends like this guy:

to use for converting old-school chaos thugs/marauders by making various headswaps and similar, but now I am a bit worried theire too big. Though from you picture it's not as bad as I had feared.
Thanks for organizing that line up, very helpful I think.

Its mostly the premium shipping cost holding me back at the moment - if it was a bit cheaper I'd just spring for it.

Edit: Alternative Armies claim its origin as from their own range, released in "the early 1990'ies". So eh. Honestly, I have no clue.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 10:47:29 PM by affun »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #493 on: July 17, 2016, 10:54:17 PM »
I have that hunchbacked fellow almost finished at the moment!

They're not Asgard. Mine say something like AP 91 on the bases. I dimly remember buying them in a blister to get the guy with the whip.

And yes, they are very characterful. Delaney King's superb renditions of two in the range are here. (The one on the left is Ral Partha, from the Korg's Killers range.)

I think they'd work fine for use as chaos marauders or whatever. They're just the right side of goofy ...

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #494 on: July 17, 2016, 11:35:20 PM »
Goofy indeed. I figure that with just a little bit of green-stuff an the right colour-scheme, they'd be excellent. I think Ill spring for some - Just gotta unload a couple of unused miniatures first then.

Thanks for linking Delaneys orcs - Its been a while since I went through her blog, so I'd totally missed that she had some of them painted up.

Also looking forward to seeing the hunchbacked guy from a decent angle - the AA picture is about as badly angled as could be.