Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:16:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 403431 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (ersatz Uz)
« Reply #510 on: July 31, 2016, 07:48:44 PM »
Here's a super-quick Reaper Bones "ravage bear" (whatever that is!) based up as a behemoth for Hordes of the Things.

I like these biggish Bones figures: given their low price, there's no guilt in splatting the paint on to get them tabletop ready. This creature didn't quite make it in time for this morning's HoTT game, but he'll be there next time ...

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a ravage bear)
« Reply #511 on: July 31, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »
Nicely done, interesting model, though the zoologist in me is weeping bitter, salty tears.  :D

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #512 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »
Ha! Yes, Crom knows what he's meant to be. Some sort of digging, mole-like thing, I imagine, for which purpose the improbable tusks and oversized arms. And that would explain the blindness too. But not very convincingly in any case ...

And from the front. I reckon this model is about the perfect size for a HotT behemoth: big enough so that the base is also appropriate for skirmish games. The current batch of HoTT elements I'm working on will also serve for Dragon Rampant (which plays a bit faster with multi-based models). Not that this chap need worry: he'll work as a single-model unit of lesser warbeasts, I imagine.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:48:59 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2016, 11:46:49 PM »
Ravage bears are monsters from the Numenara rpg by Monte Cook which is sort of a Gamma Worlds like setting, only in the rubble that lies at the end of eight or nine sequentially risen and fallen interstellar civilizations a billion years hence. All the magic is really decayed super-technology where a magician might be really be a dude infected with nano-machines that access an orbital power satellite grid and his magic words are system commands in a long dead language.

http://www.numenera.com/

A ravage bear is just a mutant/engineered/evolved future species that players and travelers have to watch out for while hiking, much like mountain lions or kodiaks today. They are blind and hunt by smell.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #514 on: August 01, 2016, 12:05:03 AM »
Had a good read through this thread tonight. Stunning work you've done yourself proud.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #515 on: August 09, 2016, 12:47:18 AM »
Thanks, both!

Here are some gnolls (one new, two old):

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (with a Frostgrave gnoll)
« Reply #516 on: August 09, 2016, 12:50:14 PM »
A large number of these cave goblins saw action in Song of Blades over the weekend. This is a slightly better group shot than the one I posted some time back ...

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #517 on: August 09, 2016, 12:52:28 PM »
And another ...

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #518 on: August 09, 2016, 10:46:11 PM »
Here are some ancient curiosities: some Essex Great Scaley [sic] Orcs.

I picked these up (with many more) second-hand, out of the purest nostalgia: I remember the ads for them in the first White Dwarfs that I read.

These are destined for Hordes of the Things - hence the lack of basing. The armoured chap will be part of a blades element, with the hooded fellow joining a warband.

I don't pretend that my liking for these beasties is anything other than nostalgia: they don't hold up nearly as well as the Bob Olley Essex Orcs (which are magnificent; I have some on the go at the moment). But they do have a certain something; they're like 1980s Doctor Who villains, or monsters from a low-budget SF or S&S film. And the armour is lovingly detailed and crisp.

When they arrived, they were covered in thick paint (enamel, I think) and gloss varnish (in which they will soon be coated again). But a swift dip in some Biostrip sorted them out in 20 minutes. It's by far the best paint stripper I've used (and doesn't smell): highly recommended!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
I remember those Orcs - thanks for the happy memories you have just unearthed from the depths of my mind :D

Neat job but why not base and use sabot trays for HOTT?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I remember those Orcs - thanks for the happy memories you have just unearthed from the depths of my mind :D

Neat job but why not base and use sabot trays for HOTT?

I have actually given a quite unreasonable amount of thought to this.  :) I've got a lot of stuff (on p.4 of this thread, I think) based for HOTT from long ago. It's all "correctly" based with 60mm frontages. If I base the scaly orcs specifically for HOTT, I can get three of the big, chunky armoured ones to a 60 x 20mm base (for "blades"). If I were to use sabots, I'd only be able to get two to a base, and the depth would be wrong (not hugely important, but it helps to identify units quickly and correctly). I'm going to base the Bob Olley Essex orcs two to a base as "blades", but if they were individually based, they'd need to be on 30mm bases in many cases, and so wouldn't fit comfortably on a 60mm sabot. And again, the depth would be out.

I also simply like the look of multi-based elements - and they work well for Dragon Rampant too. I've got no shortage of individually based orcs and scaly monsters for skirmish gaming. So these chaps will be dedicated HOTT and DR troops.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And on that note, here's the first assembled horde for HOTT. I'll do a bit more to lighten the base and add some mud and stones.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
You have been painting up some OUTSTANDING creature creations. The Bear, Gnolls, Goblins, Lizard Fellow, & the HOTT Folk are all WONDERFULLY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
Those scaly orcs are some fugly little blighters, but they still have a touch of old school charm about them. The gnolls are great too!
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #524 on: August 10, 2016, 05:37:12 PM »
I don't pretend that my liking for these beasties is anything other than nostalgia: they don't hold up nearly as well as the Bob Olley Essex Orcs (which are magnificent; I have some on the go at the moment). But they do have a certain something; they're like 1980s Doctor Who villains, or monsters from a low-budget SF or S&S film. And the armour is lovingly detailed and crisp.

Heh, part of me wants to order a few of them right away  :D I like how yours turned out, and the element certainly looks the part. I've got an entire HoTT army sitting around in my drawers - I should get it painted  ::)

Im kinda curious as to the other Essex orcs. I've been casting a few glimpses at them as well.
(And I might also have to order some Biostrip. Got a lot of stuff that could do with a re-paint)