Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 403227 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And here's the sci-fi ape. A very quick paint job, but that's the best approach for Reaper Bones, I think. I've run the odd game of Mutants & Death Ray Guns mashed up with Flying Lead for my son and his friends, and they want to do more; this guy will help to bolster our meagre sci-fi ranks. I also have half an eye on Rogue Stars (in December) and Rogue Planet (when I digest the rules properly). I quite like the idea of having a whole batch of miniatures stated out on cards (in twos, threes and singles according to potency), so the kids can just choose a card or two each and start the game.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:22:06 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
No idea how I get these the right way up - they're properly aligned when I click on them.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And some progress on the HOTT horde front. You can see the red orc taking his place in the back row.

Note also the two individually based orcs at the back. That's how I intend using these guys in Dragon Rampant - with odd single-based models to make up numbers or show casualties. We've played a lot of DR using my old HOTT armies and some individually based ringers, and it works really well. As HOTT hordes are a bit more formidable (or less pathetic) than DR Ravenous Hordes, these guys might be light foot with mixed weapons or even bellicose foot - though I'd probably double up their numbers for 24-strong units for visual effect.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
More great work!

I think I vaguely remember the red orc, maybe from the first Compendium? Anyway, his slightly mournful face looks familiar from somewhere and your painting suits him very well. Cracking work on his shield, too.

Your horde is taking shape very well. I think 24 strong hordes for DR is exactly right - any thoughts on basing sizes?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

Yes, he was in the first Compendium, but was already out of date style-wise then.

I'm basing these primarily for Hordes of the Things, so 60 x 40mm. I'll have five or six on each base, so will just use them in "clumps" with single-based models to make up the 24 as required.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's the second finished HOTT horde. I've got many more hordelings underway; the aim is, eventually, to have a full 24-point army of hordes (so 24 elements in all), plus abundant back-up in the form of behemoths, wolfriders, heroes, better-quality infantry (Essex orc blades and Ral Partha warbands).

I'm also toying with the idea of fielding units of 6 or even 12 bases of these in Dragon Rampant. Because the figures are relatively cramped on the HOTT bases, they don't take up much more space than a dispersed formation of singly based figures. So they could form a visually impressive unit of Fierce Foot (probably), who would die in satisfying droves but would hit hard and look fairly terrifying with it.

A side-note: one of the pleasing things about HOTT is the opportunity it affords to use up all the command figures that tend to lurk in the lead pile. There's no reason why each unit shouldn't be a command group - the more banners the merrier. So I'm plotting some flags at the moment.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a viridian feliform)
« Reply #546 on: September 02, 2016, 10:12:24 AM »
A slight change of direction. I've been reading through the Rogue Planet rules, so am knocking out a few more appropriate miniatures for a first game this weekend. This one might be a viridian feliform from the Xanthos system (or something ...). He might well merit a bit more work this evening, but he's more or less tabletop ready, I think.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a viridian feliform)
« Reply #547 on: September 02, 2016, 01:06:28 PM »
Nice, but wouldn't it be a 'canid-form' ?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #548 on: September 02, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »
Thanks - but no! Hyenas are feliform creatures (like civets and mustelids).  ;)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #549 on: September 02, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
Thanks - but no! Hyenas are feliform creatures (like civets and mustelids).  ;)

I learn something new on here every day.  lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #550 on: September 03, 2016, 01:38:55 AM »
Is it a converted Frostgrave gnoll?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #551 on: September 03, 2016, 09:48:46 AM »
Is it a converted Frostgrave gnoll?

Yes, indeed. Minimal conversion, though - just the gun on the hand and the backpack - which, as I realised only when I came to paint it, is actually upside down. But it fits the shape of the model better that way, and he has a strap across his chest that connects with the pack.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #552 on: September 03, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »
Looking good. Love the progress with your work here.

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #553 on: September 03, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »
Ah! Learned me sumthin new. I sit corrected.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #554 on: September 05, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
After the success of our initial forays into Rogue Planet, I decided to have a rummage in the cellar for some suitable science-fantasy miniatures. I'd dug out a couple of Orks a while ago, to use as "heavy missiles" in Dragon Rampant. But I had no idea that so many were still lurking down there. Alas, some of the best ones - power-armoured nobles - were completed 20-odd years ago and have since vanished. But there's still a fair treasure trove here.

I also discovered a lot of the chunky 80s chaos warriors down there. I much prefer the solid-based Moorcockian ones from the early boxed sets. But for science fantasy, those over-the-top monstrosities might work well in suitably outlandish colour schemes.

And it'll be outlandishness for the Orks. I see no reason to give them any particular visual coherence when it comes to skin or clothing colours. The couple I started for DR have the same fish-white skin as my cave goblins, but for the rest, I shall operate solely on the dictates of whimsy.