Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690626
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 402558 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks! Yes, the Bones ones are a bit soft on detail - and they're very small. I just went with very bold highlights.

I've got about 20 or so on the go - two types of Reaper Bones ones (the newer sort are even smaller and softer, detail-wise), some old Ral Partha ones and some of the Citadel AD&D ones, which are a bit bigger than the boxed-set one. They'll be quite a motley crew, but they do at least all have tails, horns and diminutive stature.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Very nice kobolds. My fab kobolds are the grenadier ones. A bit more human looking. That is probably because they look like the one from quest for glory.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Thanks! Yes, the Bones ones are a bit soft on detail - and they're very small. I just went with very bold highlights.

I've got about 20 or so on the go - two types of Reaper Bones ones (the newer sort are even smaller and softer, detail-wise), some old Ral Partha ones and some of the Citadel AD&D ones, which are a bit bigger than the boxed-set one. They'll be quite a motley crew, but they do at least all have tails, horns and diminutive stature.

Mighty fine pair of kobolds you have there!

I think Reaper Bones are great for large creatures, or smaller ones where detail is not so important (spiders and similar things).  I have a few human Bones figures with quite variable degrees of detail.  Two in my latest purchase have almost no detail at all - the face is basically a blank, slightly convex surface.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
More nice work there, I think those old Kobolds are my favourites really.

So far I've only bought some bigger creatures like the purple worm and giant spiders from Reaper Bones as I wasn't very keen on the humanoid figures and this makes me think I'll stick to that.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
Awesome stuff, Hobgoblin! Thanks for the shoutout on the pig-face orcs! They're great and so are the kobolds and the troll.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Many thanks, all!

Awesome stuff, Hobgoblin! Thanks for the shoutout on the pig-face orcs! They're great and so are the kobolds and the troll.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Here's the kobolds so far. Besides the old Citadel one, there are two types of Reaper Bones ones here. The first lot, including the one I painted earlier, are much better figures, whereas the newer ones (with bulbous eyes and more rat-like snouts) are much rougher. They also seem to be made of a softer material than normal Bones plastic; painting them was reminiscent of painting Caesar 1:72 stuff. Perhaps it's just that they're so much more delicate, but they do seem to be far less rigid than the others. They also have a grim abundance of mould lines. I also had to realign one of the spears, because the shaft met the hand in completely the wrong place.

But despite all that, I rather like them. They're nicely varied and are carrying a variety of gear, including lots of throwing axes. So they'll make nice (or nasty!) little dungeon skirmishers. They'd also make great 15mm baddies (gnolls, beastmen, snouted orcs, whatever) as they're about 15mm to the eyes.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with more kobolds)
« Reply #1476 on: March 31, 2018, 04:07:52 AM »
Those are great. Nice PJ's on such small guys.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #1477 on: March 31, 2018, 04:12:51 AM »
Looks like you have an awesome collection. I really enjoy your painting style.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1478 on: March 31, 2018, 04:55:12 AM »
Wonderful work as always! I sure wouldn't want to run into those guys in a dimly-lit alleyway!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1479 on: April 02, 2018, 11:52:14 PM »
Thanks, all!

The kobolds got a little run-out today in a holiday game of Deep Dark Dungeons (a Song of Blades "hack") - using a hastily sketched dungeon on a Paizo flip-mat.

Deep Dark Dungeons was a blast. Having only skimmed the rules, I improvised a bit; by midway through our game, I decided that routing monsters should run for help rather than throw themselves on the ground as the rules suggest. This made for a lot of fun - and some sticky situations. Only one PC was left standing by the end.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here's a brace of Grenadier gnolls.

There's a bit more on my blog.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
Nicely done  :-* I especially like the pig-face modified orcs  :)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
You've got a lot of cool stuff! Lovely thread!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, both!

Here's a tiny old Citadel imp. It would make a good 15mm demon (like my kobolds, it's on a 20mm base), but it'll come in very handy as a sorcerer's servant in 28mm.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Those Gnolls are very nice. Always been after some nice looking gnolls. Sadly my painting would make them look... childish.