Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:19:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 395660 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Played a Whitehack session with the kids and their friends this afternoon: the first entry into my new (i.e. partially constructed!) megadungeon, the Devil-Warrens. We ran through a good few D&D tropes, including tricksy kobolds with pets and traps, multiple levels and black puddings! I made the puddings very hastily this morning, following this excellent guide (his are much better than mine, but I'll plead lack of both time and hot glue!).

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Nice. Your oozes turned out great. For some reason I think your's look better for fantasy while the tutorial look better for sci-fi, (perhaps the spiderman symbiote made me think that)

Offline djbii

• Librarian
  • The Goblin King
    • HotT 'n' Stuff
nice figs :-)

And that reminds me. Does anyone know where I can get caesar's ratmen in Australia?
A life spent making mistakes is not only honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” –  George Bernard Shaw

https://hottnstuff.blogspot.com/ (was http://hitlh.blogspot.com.au/)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, both!

Here's a cheap and cheerful gnoll - a vinyl boardgame piece from some D&D game (a bugbear from the same features on page 1 of this thread).

I've got a couple of these, and they've been lying around unpainted for three years, because I was much less taken with them than with the bugbears, ogre and goblins that came with them. But actually, I rather like this one - and it took very little time to paint. She's quite big - perhaps a hefty gnoll matriarch?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a quick gnoll)
« Reply #1504 on: April 17, 2018, 01:31:48 AM »
Great paintjob. The front pic looks great but looking at it's right side makes the face look pulled forward too much (the other side is fine) Kind of reminds me of the spacehulk hybrid minis with the extended faces, maybe its just the angle. Anyway aside from the sculpt your PJ does look excellent.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #1505 on: April 17, 2018, 04:39:44 PM »
Nice gnoll!

And fine work on those oozes/puddings/slimes/jellies. Thanks for the link, too. I have some spare hot glue sticks somewhere, I think...

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1506 on: April 18, 2018, 11:22:48 PM »
Thanks, both!

beefcake: yes - there's definitely that early-plastics elongation about the gnoll.

Severian: the black puddings were the highlight of Sunday's D&D/Whitehack session. Kobolds plunged half the party in to a "pudding pit" via a collapsing gallery that connected two levels of the underworld. Much dissolving and frantic evasion ensued ...

And talking of kobolds: here are the Ral Partha AD&D ones. I've had these since they came out, but they always struck me as "heartbreakers" - great little models, but as far as I know, RP only made one remotely similar kobold. And who runs encounters with just four or five of the varmints?

Well, now I think they'll blend in just fine with the Reaper and Citadel ones. Why should the creatures of chaos have to look much alike? I blogged about the Lewis/Baynes earthmen recently, and these work along those lines, I think. So that's 13 painted kobolds so far. I have seven Citadel AD&D ones to add (a tougher breed, as they're a bit bigger), plus a leader and magician from Reaper Bones. I'll be repainting the Chronicle Gnar from earlier in this thread to add a beefy champion. And I'm beginning to think about the other Chronicle ones I have. I've based them all up on pennies as gnoll-type critters in 15mm, with an extra Gnar to lead them. But I'm tempted to throw them in with this lot.

On balance, the dozen I have prepped for 15mm will probably stay where they are (they can still feature as 28mm kobolds on their pennies if pinched). But I've got a few extras - several of the chief and the shaman, for some reason - so they'll probably join this throng.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Nice, I think I have about 12 of those RP kobolds somewhere, as I recall they are really tiny critters.

On a side note:

I think originally kobolds were described as having scaly rust-brown skin (D&D) - is my memory clouded by age, or did it change over the years?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Nice, I think I have about 12 of those RP kobolds somewhere, as I recall they are really tiny critters.

Thanks! Yes, they're very small. The big Citadel AD&D ones will beef up their ranks a bit - as will the Death Commandos' Gnar.

On a side note:

I think originally kobolds were described as having scaly rust-brown skin (D&D) - is my memory clouded by age, or did it change over the years?

Yes, that's in the Monster Manual (if you're being really pedantic, you could say that in Chainmail/OD&D were "like goblins but smaller"). Actually, that's the look I've gone for here: the mid-tone for their skin is a rust-brown colour. They look quite rusty until I give them their equally canonical red clothing - at which point, they look a bit less so!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And a quick Grenadier wight.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Very nice. I don't think I've ever seen that mini before. I see where Otherworld went with their ones now (probably both close to the Monster manual desriptions I imagine.)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

Yes, lots of manufacturers have run with the Monster Manual illustration over the years. This Grenadier one looks like he might have a sideline in building time machines out of sports cars ...

Offline Severian

• Scientist
I like the wight!

looks like he might have a sideline in building time machines out of sports cars ...

or be Margaret Rutherford on a bad day...  :)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Thanks!

Yes, lots of manufacturers have run with the Monster Manual illustration over the years. This Grenadier one looks like he might have a sideline in building time machines out of sports cars ...

And that sports car broke down in prehistory leading to his current state.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Ha!

Here's a Jack-in-the-Green. I've got quite a few of these Kev Adams goblins kicking around. I don't like them nearly as much as the earlier Perry ones, because they're a bit goofy and not at all orcish. But they're great in their own way, and it struck me today at work that they'd make great fairies of a capricious, silvan sort. So they've become Jacks-in-the-Green, and will feature in our Whitehack games as capricious denizens of the forest.

I got two more all but done tonight too - just really quick wash-and-drybrush painting - and it occurred to me that I've got easily enough for four units of scouts in Dragon Rampant. I've got some wolf-chariots to go with them (which I'll base with HotT frontages), giving me some elite or heavy riders to go with the scouts. So there's enough for a full DR force there - but I'll probably add some trolls or tree-men or Urscumug-style beastmen to go with them.