Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 395520 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a giant Russian orc)
« Reply #1695 on: October 11, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »
Oh, that big Russian bugger is nice!  8)

Thanks for posting the link - when they say "bendy" plastic on the listing, are they talking clix or Bones bendy? Or is it more rubbery?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a giant Russian orc)
« Reply #1696 on: October 11, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »
Oh, that big Russian bugger is nice!  8)

Thanks for posting the link - when they say "bendy" plastic on the listing, are they talking clix or Bones bendy? Or is it more rubbery?

Regardless, I've ordered a set as well. :D

For the longest time I've been trying to find the right miniatures for use as Olog Hai in my own Middle Earth project, but could never find what I was looking for. The best I could do were some Leviathan Barbarians, but they were never large enough to my eye. But it's what I already had, so unless something better came along, I would be using those.

But seeing Hobgoblin's excellently painted Russian Orks, I suppose the Barbarians will just feature as larger orks in the background now or something... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1697 on: October 11, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
Thanks!

The plastic's not particularly bendy at all: it's quite rigid and nothing like Bones. Some of the sellers describe them as "hard plastic", and I'd say that that's fairer.

The material strikes me as pretty much the same as that used for a lot of 1:32 toy soldiers (e.g. the Airfix medievals I had as a kid): some kind of dense polythene. It seems to take paint fairly well (I undercoated with black gesso), and superglue formed a very solid bond with the base. I'm sure plastic cement wouldn't work with them, though.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #1698 on: October 11, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »
Thanks. I'm very tempted by the centaurs as well. Replace the hooves with claws and give it a different tail. Great dragon ogres.

The Werewolves and Minotaurs don't look too bad for that price either!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #1699 on: October 11, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »
The Werewolves and Minotaurs don't look too bad for that price either!

Very true :)

And as it turns out, I've had some of those Steampunk cannons of theirs in my stash for use with my Chaos Dwarves for years. I've never assembled them, but they appear to be the same plastic as the RoboGear stuff they also produced. So fairly hard (certainly harder than GW or Perry plastic) and it won't be melted by polystyrene cement! I've used superglue whenever I had to glue this plastic...

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #1700 on: October 11, 2018, 07:23:57 PM »
I was watching them on ebay after seeing this and got a message saying stock was running low! People have obviously been inspired.  lol

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1701 on: October 12, 2018, 07:20:42 AM »
I'd better buy some then. And the minotaurs among other things.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1702 on: October 12, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
I like your centaur/dragon-ogre idea, although I'd be tempted just to paint up the beast as is and add the monstrous/demonic/chaotic aspects through paint.

I've just posted this chap on the Old School thread, but as that's limited to one image, I thought I'd post some other shots here.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Where did you get this chap from?  I had the set of Orcs of the Severed Hand back in my D&D days (mid 80's) painted nicely green with Humbrol enamels.  I would love to get the set again.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I got him from eBay, individually, shortly after buying all the others from another seller. Serendipitous - although he's probably my least favourite of the set.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
The Orcs of the Severed Hand were the first miniatures I ever owned. My dad bought them for me long, long ago, before I knew how to paint. They were some of the first miniatures I ever painted too. I've kept those old paint jobs just to see how far I've come. I love the old Grenadier figures, and this one is absolutely fantastic! Thanks for reminding me about them.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Cheers! I'm looking forward to painting up the rest. Good for Gloranthan dark trolls, I reckon.

Here's an even older Grenadier orc - from the Fantasy Lords range:

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
Great job on the classic orc. 
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Continuing with some lovely painting. How long does it take to photograph each one? (You manage to cleanly photograph a very richly coloured miniature every time - only noticed this now.)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, guys!

How long does it take to photograph each one? (You manage to cleanly photograph a very richly coloured miniature every time - only noticed this now.)

Not long at all; my photography's extremely haphazard - I just put the miniature on a bit of white paper, stick my cheap daylight lamp in front of it and snap away with my phone. I always think the miniatures look much better if I photograph them in natural light, but I rarely get the chance.