Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686451
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 395446 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Four more trogs join the throng. The soft plastics don't look good under artificial light, but I'm pleased with this batch; three of the four are converted.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (with more 1/72 troglodytes )
« Reply #1726 on: November 02, 2018, 09:19:30 AM »
This year's Halloween efforts - a chupacabra and a hydra:

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (1/2 scale hydra and chupacabra)
« Reply #1727 on: November 04, 2018, 02:50:45 AM »
Great work on both the trogs and the costumes!

Offline boneio

• Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (1/2 scale hydra and chupacabra)
« Reply #1728 on: November 04, 2018, 03:45:42 PM »
A Hydra of Vulcan no less  8)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1729 on: November 04, 2018, 07:51:35 PM »
Thanks!

Here's a new project. I acquired a batch of EM4 orcs on a whim and started painting some and converting others. I've been aiming for an almost "Dogme" style of speed painting: base colour and one highlight only on most areas (one more highlight permissable on skin); no drybrushing and washes only on skin and armour. I enjoyed this approach so much that I dug out the Fantasy Warriors metal orcs that were languishing in the leadpile.

Here are the first few. They're unapologetically tabletop standard, but I've got a good few more based up. I used square bases so that the metals more or less match the plastics; the lower base combined with the thick integral metal bases mean that these orcs are actually level with my slottabased miniatures. I'm not going to mix in Chronicle slottabased orcs with these, as I'm keeping those to be blue-skinned "winter orcs" - but I might make an exception for a couple of duplicates.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with EM4 and Lund orcs)
« Reply #1730 on: November 06, 2018, 12:06:29 AM »
Three more quick 'n' dirty orcs, including the first EM4 conversion.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (more EM4 and Lund orcs)
« Reply #1731 on: November 06, 2018, 12:41:40 AM »
Those look fantastic. Some of the first orcs I painted back in the 80s!!!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (more EM4 and Lund orcs)
« Reply #1732 on: November 14, 2018, 12:16:54 AM »
Thanks!

Many more are on the way - the next batch just need their shields done.

In the meantime, here are a pair of Reaper Bones deep ones. These were done with extreme vitesse (and little consideration for mouldlines): just basecoat, a silver-grey drybrush and some washes. They'll see action in our next D&D stint, I think.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (orcs and half-orc)
« Reply #1733 on: November 14, 2018, 05:06:00 AM »
On a whim, I ordered some 54mm orc toy soldiers from Russia. They arrived today, so I thought I'd better paint one up. The kids already have painting designs on two of the four that arrived, but I've earmarked one other for myself. These were very cheap - less than four quid before postage, so a pound each. I think they'll work very nicely as giants or ogres or trolls.
Mine arrived today. They really are very nice. bendy but not bendy...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (orcs and half-orc)
« Reply #1734 on: November 14, 2018, 09:00:52 AM »
In the meantime, here are a pair of Reaper Bones deep ones. These were done with extreme vitesse (and little consideration for mouldlines): just basecoat, a silver-grey drybrush and some washes. They'll see action in our next D&D stint, I think.

They look really good in the pictures, and I'm sure a bit more care went into the painting than you are letting us on. But they are ace no matter what... 8)

Mine arrived today. They really are very nice. bendy but not bendy...

Aren't they? I ended up ordering the Orks, Minotaurs and Centaurs, and they are very impressive for the price. Good sculpts and the material, whilst a bit bendy, is absolutely hard enough to be painted well. :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Very nice deep ones (sorry too excited about my arrival you put me on to) The colours work very well.

Aren't they? I ended up ordering the Orks, Minotaurs and Centaurs, and they are very impressive for the price. Good sculpts and the material, whilst a bit bendy, is absolutely hard enough to be painted well. :)
How are the others. Are the centaurs any good?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
How are the others. Are the centaurs any good?
They're all perfectly suited for the purpose I bought them for; three of the Orks will be Olog Hai (one doesn't quite fit the aesthetic I am going for, and converting would too much of a hassle; my daughter will probably end up painting him), the Minotaurs will be incorporated as is into my Chaos Dwarf army.

And the Centaurs, as suggested in this thread pages ago, will be converted into Dragon Ogres for my Warriors of Chaos army.

I liked that idea so much, as no currently available Dragon Ogre is to my liking (except for the one special character, but he's just one pose, metal and very expensive. Also, he's twice the size of 'normal ones', so would not represent a bog-standard Dragon Ogre well), and for the price, it really was a no-brainer.

Conversion will be very easy too I reckon; replace tail with a thin, whippy one with a triangle at the tip, remove some of the sculpted hair on the front legs, possibly replaced with some sculpted scales, and they should be ready to go! :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
They're all perfectly suited for the purpose I bought them for; three of the Orks will be Olog Hai (one doesn't quite fit the aesthetic I am going for, and converting would too much of a hassle; my daughter will probably end up painting him), the Minotaurs will be incorporated as is into my Chaos Dwarf army.

And the Centaurs, as suggested in this thread pages ago, will be converted into Dragon Ogres for my Warriors of Chaos army.

I'lld be very interested to see how these turn out.

Quote from: Daeothar
They look really good in the pictures, and I'm sure a bit more care went into the painting than you are letting us on. But they are ace no matter what...

Thanks! But no, really: two hours from start to finish last night (I had based them earlier). Here's all I did: black gesso undercoat, medium-sea grey for the bodies and buff for the underbellies. Then a drybrush with silver-grey and a glaze of thinned Nightshade GW wash mixed with a bit of GW Camoshade wash. I washed some thinned GW Crimson over the underbellies, put undiluted Nightshade over the spinal scales and in the eye sockets, and sloshed some Camoshade here and there in the recesses. Then it was just a matter of painting the eyes and teeth.

The initial Nightshade/Camoshade wash - more of a glaze, really, as it was thinned heavily with glaze medium, did almost all of the work and produced a nicely mottled effect because of the texture on the figures. The other washes were just slopped on into crevices here and there.

I bought a big batch of Bones figures last week, so I'm trying to crack through them to have some surprising opponents for the kids in D&D. Speed's of the essence, as we'll probably play this weekend!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
Sounds almost too easy, but I believe you :)

Still; your almost prolific production rate never seizes to amaze me, especially at the level of quality. No matter how simple the process; they always seem to come out just right.

I'm afraid mine will not see a brush for some time to come though. I will first want to have my nine walkers complete before I tackle the forces of darkness. So far, I have the four hobbits, Gandalf and Boromir (who requires some slight converting), so just a ranger, elf and dwarf to source. And then it will first be a large batch of orks, for which the trolls will be reinforcements.

And I've recently started reading The Hobbit to my little girl (a couple of pages before bedtime each day), so I might very well have to do up 13 dwarfs and another hobbit (without handkerchief) before that time as well... ::)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And I've recently started reading The Hobbit to my little girl (a couple of pages before bedtime each day), so I might very well have to do up 13 dwarfs and another hobbit (without handkerchief) before that time as well... ::)

It makes a great bedtime story - I've read it to both of mine in the past few years.