Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:02:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 395473 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
I have only just now had time to read your tutorial.  I will give this a go but I had, from one of your posts some time ago, worked out a lot of what you did and my figures came out cr....., not so good.  I think I might just have to post you my figures to paint for me.  Somehow I think there would be a long queue.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, guys!

Here's the first of a new warband: red goblins. I always liked the old Warhammer red goblins, at least as far as the John Blanche illustration went. The miniatures were less compelling: not nearly as good as their near-contemporary night-goblin and great-goblin equivalents. The Perrys' technique was evolving so rapidly then that there were revolutionary improvements in the space of months.

Anyway, these red goblins are going to consist of whatever odds and ends I find kicking about. These two are old plastics, obviously, but I have various metal and plastic peculiarities to come. The idea is that the fairly simple colour scheme will tie them all together.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with red goblins!)
« Reply #1802 on: January 15, 2019, 12:35:33 AM »
I love how the title says "some miniatures", then I see it's over 140 pages. :D

Amazing collection of figures there, and I really dig the painting and basing style. (Advanced) Song of Blades and Heroes is my go-to thing for fantasy skirmish gaming, simply because you can do ANYTHING with it. So a diverse collection of figures to back that up sure comes in handy at that.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1803 on: January 15, 2019, 08:48:52 AM »
Thanks!

(Advanced) Song of Blades and Heroes is my go-to thing for fantasy skirmish gaming, simply because you can do ANYTHING with it. So a diverse collection of figures to back that up sure comes in handy at that.

Definitely! The Song of Blades stable is the one we come back to again and again (Mutants and Death Ray Guns being the current obsession). It's hard to beat for multi-player games - and for the sheer amount of meaningful decision-making that's involved. Even relatively simple things like the ambush mechanic (three successes required for a combat bonus) add a huge amount of tactical depth.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #1804 on: January 15, 2019, 09:34:58 AM »
So nice to see the old Warhammer Armies plastic orcs getting an update! I have a bucket load resting under really awful paint jobs and this is making me think about revisiting them. The head swap and new weapon/shield combo really brings that old fella to life, and shows for monopose thirty year old chunks of styrene, they are actually not bad little sculpts.

Corking paint job too, love the red skin tone.  8)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1805 on: January 15, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
Thanks!

So nice to see the old Warhammer Armies plastic orcs getting an update! I have a bucket load resting under really awful paint jobs and this is making me think about revisiting them. The head swap and new weapon/shield combo really brings that old fella to life, and shows for monopose thirty year old chunks of styrene, they are actually not bad little sculpts.

Yes: I always thought the orcs were by far the best of the batch. Oddly enough, this fellow was one of the first kitbashes I did when getting back into miniatures a few years back. He was destined for the dark-skinned group in the photo below (on page 1 of this thread!), but he got sidelined after a slightly different approach didn't work out. He'd been kicking around one of my many WIP boxes since then, so I decided just to lob some black gesso on him and start again.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #1806 on: January 16, 2019, 02:43:30 AM »
So nice to see the old Warhammer Armies plastic orcs getting an update!

Was that the box that had six or so different races in it?

Oddly I have about five dark elf heads but nothing else from the box :)

I agree, these new orcs are great.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1807 on: January 16, 2019, 08:44:58 PM »
Cheers!

Was that the box that had six or so different races in it?

Yes, that's the one - 60 miniatures for £10, and often bought and split between several people. I think the orcs have stood the test of time better than the others. The goblins would be OK too, except that they've got quivers that are impossibly small. But that, for some reason, was a common GW flaw for some time after.

The Skaven weren't great - a bit soft in their detail. But their heads did fit perfectly onto the bodies of the beaky space marines. I recently found one such construction, along with the alternative Skaven head, so will be reviving that practice soon!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #1808 on: January 17, 2019, 09:49:24 AM »
It was a pretty damn sweet deal.

I also found the skaven heads to be a good fit for the goblin bodies. Whole new troop type!  8)
The Dark Elves were the worst of the set, I think, but I have a soft spot for the Dwarves and still have a regiment of them. They even looked like they actually had legs instead of feet attached to big fat bellies.

I'm kind of amused to see how well the modern goblin head sits on the old orc body, actually. Evidence of scale creep if ever you needed it, although for a Tolkeinist like you I guess it just proves there shouldn't really be any distinction between them!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #1809 on: March 25, 2019, 11:44:04 PM »
I'm kind of amused to see how well the modern goblin head sits on the old orc body, actually. Evidence of scale creep if ever you needed it, although for a Tolkeinist like you I guess it just proves there shouldn't really be any distinction between them!

Well, quite!

Here's a half-orc archer. This is one of the slotta-based C10 range from Aly Morrison. I'm currently painting a whole host of the preslotta ones, which I prefer: they're a much grimmer bunch. If the murderous preslotta fellows knocked at your door, you'd be running out the back. The later types, like this one, could possibly be mollified with plunder or even induced to go down the pub.

Oddly, the later range would be better suited to The Scouring of the Shire; the earlier ones, with their heraldry adjusted, would be more like the heavily armed types seen marching from Isengard, at the Isen and at Helm's Deep. This fellow looks more like a bullier of hobbits than a hewer of Theodred.

I started painting him about half-nine tonight, so he took two hours exactly. It shows, but I'm spending much more time on the earlier ones.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a half-orc archer)
« Reply #1810 on: March 26, 2019, 05:40:30 AM »
Great brushwork and the model has lots of character

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a half-orc archer)
« Reply #1811 on: April 03, 2019, 11:44:00 PM »
Thanks!

Here's another red goblin (this one a Lancer orc). I have ten or so other red goblins coming along, so they should be joining this ugly trio soon.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
That pumpkin in that group shot kind of freaks me out!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
That pumpkin in that group shot kind of freaks me out!

It's an old Fantasy Forge/Grendel piece - and it is rather freaky. I've used it a couple of times in RPGs as a sweet-talking entity that tries to lure PCs close enough to ensnare them in its tendrils.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Haven't checked in in a while - these latest red orcs are ace, I really like them. You're never ending well of minis is astonishing!