Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:57:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689539
  • Total Topics: 118285
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Rust Monster face reveal)  (Read 401273 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
those ghouls are superbly painted.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

those ghouls are superbly painted.

Just don't look too closely!

In the past few sessions, our D&D party has returned from a southern city to the keep on the borderlands in the north. So no more messing around in ghoul-infested crypts and back to the Caves of Chaos. I thought there was a high chance that they'd raid the bugbear caves this afternoon, so I hastily got these fellows ready this morning. As it was, the players contented themselves with massacring orcs. But these chaps and a few more will be waiting for them tomorrow ...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (more bugbears!)
« Reply #2072 on: May 16, 2020, 07:37:23 PM »
So much epic painting in this thread. Thanks for continuing to share and inspire mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2073 on: May 16, 2020, 10:11:54 PM »
Looks like the adventurers are going to have quite the battle on their hands!

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #2074 on: May 17, 2020, 12:33:45 AM »
Great thread! The number of pages, along with the title, should be a warning to us all who aren't aware of what sort of rabbit hole 28mm fantasy games are. :D I picked up on the fact that you also use them in RPG games, but just for SoBH/Sellswords&Spellsligers it would be absolutely normal to get curious about getting into pretty much any fantasy range out there. You display a great mix of figures, and I actually had completely forgotten about Mantic's Naiads. Those look rather useful. Somehow I'm intrigued by deep sea fantasy things.

Really dig your collection of Bugbears and old Citadel Orcs. :D Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2075 on: May 17, 2020, 12:19:51 PM »
Thanks, all!

Here are a couple more reinforcements for the bugbears (who may be in action very shortly ...): a goblin from the same boardgame painted up as a young or female bugbear, and an Essex bugbear painted a couple of years ago but rebased to fit in (kind of ...):

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (even more bugbears!)
« Reply #2076 on: May 17, 2020, 01:24:30 PM »
A fine crew of bugbears!

The boardgame guys have a distinct Lewis chessmen feel to them; the Essex guy is more Noddy Holder, perhaps... but the shared colour scheme does an excellent job of bringing them all together as a tribe. Grand work as usual.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (even more bugbears!)
« Reply #2077 on: May 23, 2020, 09:20:11 AM »
Thanks! Sadly all slain several times over now ...

The boardgame guys have a distinct Lewis chessmen feel to them; the Essex guy is more Noddy Holder, perhaps... but the shared colour scheme does an excellent job of bringing them all together as a tribe.

Yes - maximum mass in minimum space for the boardgame guys - and yes, indeed, on the Essex fellow!

Here are some old chaos warriors swiftly rebased for D&D. There's no shortage of demand for plate-mailed bandit chiefs, evil clerics and malevolent fighters in old scenarios, so that's what these guys are serving as.

I find these dull, square bases perfect for D&D as they work well with grids and are unobtrusive on both indoor and outdoor terrain. And they open up possibilities for 'square-based' wargames too (MicroHotT, OGAM, Book of War, Oathmark ... maybe even an effort to give the kids a fleeting taste of Warhammer ...). I don't really use grids for movement in D&D, but I do use floorplans and gridded mats, with the grids more important for drawing the rooms than anything else.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
great stuff.

that bugbear is priceless (an Olley I think - one of his naff ones, but somehow good too, lovely character in the face, and your painting has brought that out with a lovely [arthur!] Rackham water-coloury vibe), and you've done a super job on him.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:51:11 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Very nice work - the neutral basing sets off the different armour colours very well.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
I don't think I've seen that tusked bascinet helm guy before, very cool. Interesting colors too!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, all!

I don't think I've seen that tusked bascinet helm guy before, very cool.

He's Nekris Demonblade from the Citadel Warriors of Chaos boxed set:

As we're now 35+ sessions in to our lockdown D&D campaign, I've decided to paint up all the bits of Fantasy Forge scenery that I've got kicking around. These are the first few bits. I've gone for very simple paintjobs with bright colours so that they show up well over Zoom:

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Fantasy Forge stuff)
« Reply #2082 on: May 25, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »
I've lurked on here for a while and have managed to go through every single page of this thread.

Amazing and relentless work.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Fantasy Forge stuff)
« Reply #2083 on: May 30, 2020, 01:20:53 PM »
Thanks - and glad you've enjoyed it!

Here are some proudly pantless Essex lizardmen. I think these fellows should work fairly well with the old Grenadier AD&D lizardmen - and they at least explain why those more civilised types are wearing loincloths!

There are pretty crude figures, but they have a certain charm. I went with a deliberately simple paint scheme - just two colours and a wash on the green and no faffing around on paler underbellies.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (Essex lizardmen)
« Reply #2084 on: May 30, 2020, 03:43:26 PM »
Nicely done. I do like the old Essex range.

Do the bronze weapons mean they'll be doing double duty as dragonewts?