Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: "It was nearly by a hair that we weren't all killed." Hereros vs German Trains  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Estorff

• Assistant
  • Eine große Schnurrbart & Pickelhaube sind alle
    • Cornflower Blue & Corduroy: Wargaming the German - Herero & Nama Wars of 1904-1908
The second in a series of posts dealing with fighting along a narrow gauge railway line in 1904 between rifle armed Hereros and Germans with a train and machine gun in the second carriage buttressed with rice bags is now up at my blog Cornflower Blue and Corduroy.  http://omaheke.blogspot.com/2015/04/it-was-nearly-by-hair-that-we-werent.html.  The first article was listed a few days ago in the Railroad Forum, but that one dealt with the specifications of the zwillinge or twin 0-6-0 engines in use on this feldbahn rather than the colonial skirmish that is the subject of this post. 

There will be at least one more post in the series dealing with other fights along a different section of the line, but my intention is to develop a playable scenario based on the episode described in this post.  It will require two suitable engines and at least four train cars to transport nearly 40 German reservists and several railway officials over a long bridge on the dry Swakop River and toward the  besieged town of Okahandja, with about about 200 or so rifle armed Hereros in the surrounding bush and high cliffs beyond.  The tracks have been torn up, the telegraph wires are down.  The Machinegun-Expedition must make repairs and push forward at all costs as enemy fire increases.

When it is ready, I'll let you know.
\"crushing the people like this was in equal measure cruel and insane.  One could have saved many of them and their herds, if one had spared them and given them refuge; they had been punished enough.  I suggested this to General von Trotha, but he wanted their complete destruction.\" - L. v.Estorff

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
Sounds like an interesting scenario.