Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:24:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer In Moria: Tempt not the Valar, You Proud Hobbit!  (Read 130242 times)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: 6/29 Battle Of Balin's Tomb Part 2 AAR
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2015, 06:49:23 PM »
Vermis,
Im pretty sure Tolkien purists would get their feathers ruffled looking at my project, but what the hey.  I cant not use the idea of Moria, its too powerful an archetype.  If Im running with it, Im gonna run with it deep into Monty Pythonesque country, even into Lovecraftian country.  Darn... another spoiler.  But yeah, the Watcher in the Water? Cmon, that thing is definitely a mythos creature, and its bound to have friends!!!    :P

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:03:56 PM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2015, 07:48:40 PM »
Gloriously brilliant and bonkers in the way GW games used to be!  The film quotes are the icing on the cake!

Are you using the LotR/Hobbit rules?

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2015, 08:01:41 PM »
The whole project is looking just great, Mars! Loved the write-up also!

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
In Moria: The Mother Of Dragons (& Hydras, & Basilisks Too!)

Taken from :  http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-mother-of-dragons-and-hydras-and.html

This post today is about dragons...  and some Dark Elves too!  Not just any dragons, mind you, but baby dragons!  Err, I think the proper D&D term is young dragons, somewhere between hatchlings and adults.  Also, we add a little more fluff to our storylines, particularly for our Drow/Dark Elves/Night Elves, who havent been active since their debut.  I have been wanting to give more screentime to their main characters... so here's their chance.

Here's a nice little monster its a Citadel C29 Chaos Hydra.  Ive named her Slithers and painted her purple to match her mistress - the Countess Alyza.

Alyza cares for her hydra very much, as you can see she is scratching one of Slithers seven heads.

Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons

These are Reaper dragons which are not new to this blog.  I used them as full grown dragons for my 10mm Warmaster project which Ive moved on from.  Well, the dragons have been rebased and now live on in 28mm Moria!

This fiesty lil fella is Custard.  While he has been hatched underground, his ancestors were once mighty forest dragons.

This red dragon is Ember, he's got some breath on him!

Mama mia! Thats a spicy meatball!

And here is Oona the basilisk, her uncle (on her mothers side twice removed) became a famous star a few years ago because of some silly little movie about under aged "wizards".

Nimbus is the youngest of Countess Alyza's wards.  He is a bratty blue dragon who can spit out lightning when he has a tantrum.

And here is Slithers and Oona, hiding behind their mom.

They have security issues because the other hatchlings teased them for not being "proper" dragons.

Schoolyard Dragon Bully: Why dont you have wings?  Why do you have too many heads? 8 feet? Thats gross!

Alrighty, enough with the new minis!

Time for the fluff...

When last we left you, a certain battle took place in a scary room full of angry little Dwarves who carried cruel weapons...  (from the point of view of this story's protagonist)

Vermithrax wandered long in the damp dark caverns.  He remembered being prodded by Orc spears and goaded into a battle.  All he remembered was running towards a glowing room full of Dwarves.  Vermithrax yelled for them to help him, save him from his cruel Orc masters, but Dwarves dont understand Dragon speech.  Instead, they slashed at his neck with axes.  They bashed his toes with heavy hammers.  And stabbed his wings with spear and sword.  The Orcs lost the fight, and he escaped, trampled over his Orc prodders and outran the whips of his taskmaster.  Now here he was, hungry, tired, and alone.  Vermithrax collapsed and began to doze off into the sweet numbness of draconic dreams.

Wandering on paths that other men have not seen. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain.

Until he hears a soothing voice who promises him safety.  To lead him to a cool pool of healing water (somewhat slimy, but who's judging)   

Just a little further, little dragon...

She speaks Dragonese, thinks Vermithrax, but maybe I shouldnt be so trusting!

But what does he have to lose, he lets her guide him onwards.

Vermithrax reaches a pool of water and gingerly dips his toes in the slightly nippy waters and lets out a sigh of relief.

Countess Alyza calls for the High Alchemist Grigori, to concoct some of his healing potions.  Grigori is also called the Master of Poisons.  Ok normally he makes deadly poisons, but reverse a poison and its a potion, right?  Vermithrax gives in and swallows a vial or two and feels much better immediately!

There is no pain, you are receding A distant ship smoke on the horizon You are only coming through in waves Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

Alyza asks Vermithrax his name.

Time to decide if he trusts her, for a dragons true name is power. Vermithrax thinks about the bloodlust he detects in Alyza.  Blood... disease?  sickness.  Blood drinker!  But she has been sooo nice!  Vermithrax relents and decides to throw caution to the winds of fate.

Alyza says: "I shall call you Vermy!  Vermy meet my other children!"

They swarm around Vermy and snort and sniff at him, welcoming him to the tribe.  Success!

While the dragonlings begin to play with their newfound friend, Lord Commander Alric the Cursed enters the watery cavern and takes Alyza aside.

Lord Alric: The Orcs are preparing to attack the East Gate.  The Dwarf forces who were victorious at the Chamber are moving back to join their main army, if they do the Orc attack will fail.

Alyza:  You want to help the Orcs?  Thats new!

Lord Alric:  True, Orcs are not our friends but the Dwarves are even worse.  We must not allow the Dwarves to regroup.

Alyza:   What do you want of me?

Lord Alric:  Use your dragons to harass and delay the Dwarves!

Alyza:  Risk my dragons?

Lord Alric:  I will send Magister Ludi and his Shadowfire cultists to help with these hit and run attacks.  We will have them running in circles, then when they are tired and demoralized, we will strike and defeat them!  After that, we will move on the East Gate and slaughter everyone remaining there, be they Orc or Dwarf!  While there are countless more Orcs in the Underdeeps of Moria, at least here we shall be the masters!  The Drow will rule the upper halls of Moria again!

Alyza:  So be it!  But afterwards, I want first choice of the Dwarven captives.  Three quarters of the captives will do.  I need fresh blood for my baths... and my baby dragons are hungry for fresh meat, they grow tired of foul orc kabobs.  I will bake those meddling Dwarves!  Dwarf pot pie will make my babies grow to be big and strong.

Lord Alric: Half of the captives, Countess.  You get first choice, fine.  But only half.  Your dragons arent the only ones that need to feed.

*Lord Alric's cursed sword begins to howl*

Alyza:  (to her dragons)  Children... pay attention please!  Custard!  Let go of Oona's tail!  The real playtime is coming, children.  Here is what I want you to do...

~ ~ ~

So there is our fine little treat of a post!  Hope you enjoyed it, as much as I did in making it.  Until next post...

Cheers,

Mar
http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Momotaro,
For that particular AAR, yes I used LOTR SBG, the big blue "One Rulebook".  But I have no qualms using any rules.  In fact I tend to think of the scenario first, then decide which rules would be the best fit for it.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Excellent work, Mars! I particularly like Slithers and Verminthrax: that purple and green really pop, especially against the dull greys of your dungeons.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Arundel,
Thanks buddy!  Yeah, I like my dragons to look like delicious candy treats!  And dungeons or caverns need to be the drab dingy places they ought to be.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
I expect some blood and fire in the next few battles.. ;)

The elves add a interesting new point of view to the project.!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: 7/04 July 4th Weekend Part 1 - Dwarven Fortress
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2015, 11:27:58 PM »
Oldhammer in Moria July 4th Weekend Part 1 - Dwarven Fortress

Taken from:  http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/july-4th-weekend-part-1-dwarven-fortress.html

Happy July 4th weekend, dear readers.  Big update to the blog today, so big I feel I have to chop it into 3 parts.  I will post all 3 today at some point.  Earlier, I just happened to count how many newly painted minis I have for today's "photoshoot" and noticed something incredible.  Since my last post, I have painted 76 new figures, which alone is pretty good, quantity-wise, but then realized...  wait, its a fortuitous number! 76 as in 1776, the reason we celebrate the 4th.  

The Dwarves that are defending the East Gate region of Moria also have something to celebrate.  A brand new fortress terrain piece!  The Eastern Gate is also known as the Dimril Gate, which looks out on Dimrill Dale a small valley, out of which the Dwarves hope that the caravans of trade and commerce will once again flow.  And here on this Independence Day, the Dwarven cause reaches a milestone in their burgeoning colony's history with the best symbol of Dwarven strength - A stone fortress.

Im calling this fortress Easthold and it is within bowshot of the Eastern Gate itself, on the eastern side of Durin's Bridge.  This part of Moria is a vast cavern where the ceiling is so high it disappears in darkness.  And what looks like stars above, are actually mineral deposits shining in the torchlight.  The Dwarven colony has been hard at work to repair Easthold.  It has a vast hallway underneath it that houses living quarters, food stores, weapon caches, enough to supply a small garrison for a long time.  As it overlooks both the Gate and the Bridge, Easthold is an important and imposing position that controls the area especially if defended by ranged weapons.  So, Im pleased to show off some Dwarven crossbowmen and a catapult as well.  Now that the Dwarves have a stable base of operations in Moria, their commanders feel confident they can launch more numerous expeditions into the depths of Khazad-Dum.   There are many dark powers in Moria that do not like this news...  but the Dwarf Lords are ready to fight and survive!

Perhaps it’s fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom… Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: “We will not go quietly into the night!” We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!”

(Ugghhh, douche-chills! That scene is so terrible.  But still, like the late great Patrice Oneal said, its the greatest first half of a movie.  On a sidenote, if you dont know Patrice, or Opie & Anthony and their discussion of Independence Day... Youtube it! Its hilarious!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEGW2jBzLgI)

Here is Easthold in all its glory!  Its roughly 2 feet in diameter with walls 6 inches high and 10 inches at its highest point.  The base of its walls are littered with the skulls of forgotten warriors from some battle long ago.

The Dwarves have repaired the gates and are ready to defend their new home.

The gate is removeable.

The inner courtyard.

The Great Doors of Easthold lead to a deep underground Keep, where the women and children are housed.  Also, non-combat personnel have their areas here: Blacksmithies, Armorers, Bakers, Pubs and Bars, etc...

A stonethrower.  The catapult is definitely a Dwarfy weapon because rocks are a Dwarfs best friend.

We will we will rock you!

Buddy you're a boy make a big noise

Playin' in the street gonna be a big man some day

You got mud on yo' face

You big disgrace

Kickin' your can all over the place

Singin'

I dont think these are the crew that comes with this catapult, but its what I got.  I am pretty sure they are vintage models though.  Except maybe that guy on the left, he might be a 2000s model, but hey, doesnt make him a bad person.

And the crossbow gents are here!  These dapper gentlemen, (errr, dwarves) are well dressed and ready to perforate any enemies foolish enough to try venturing too close to Easthold.

Boy do these fellas like smoking their pipes.

The dwarf on the right is a Bugmans brewery champion.  Oh, and yes he does have a crossbow slung on his back.  He just likes holding his axe when there are no targets around, makes him feel all comfy.

And heres our little castle with some defenders!  Outside the walls, we have Prince Ulther and his Imperial Dwarves, Prince Helfast and his Heartbreakers, and some Slayers as well.

Inside the walls, we have King Kazador guarding the Great Doors, Grand Axetooth and his Ratniks in the courtyard, Balgar Blackwing the wizard in the upper left tower (along with his scribe and librarian), and the new crossbowmen up on the walls.

Up next: Darkhold, Shadow and Flame!   (be scared little Dwarves, be vewwwy scared)

The next two parts are up and can be viewed at my blog: http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/

Part 2: Shadow and Flame   http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/july-4th-weekend-part-2-darkhold-shadow.html

Part 3: Army of Darkness  http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/july-4th-weekend-part-3-army-of-darkness.html

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:45:55 PM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2015, 11:35:12 PM »
Awesome stronghold...and looks extremely playable.  Well done!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2015, 11:37:38 PM »
Ooooooh it all looks really great!!! Im amazed by the beauty

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2015, 11:43:58 PM »
Ahh, quoted instead of modified!  Well, lets just use this to remind you readers that the 2nd and 3rd parts of this July 4th update are up on my blog.  so check em out!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 11:47:54 PM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2015, 12:08:03 AM »
Already done ;)

Your world of Moria is truly magical! A shame theres not written more about it, like a full story (hint, hint :D ;D)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2015, 12:31:27 AM »
LordOdo,
I suppose after a year or two my blog will read like a picture book.  I did write a small fantasy novella sometime ago, I enjoyed doing it, but lost interest and not even sure if I still have it around.  I should look in my old computer to see if a copy of it is still hiding somewhere.  Elfwood seems to have deleted it.  It was about the last elf in the world and her pet bugbear and how they somehow became part of a ruthless mercenary outfit.  Standard D&D fan fiction I suppose, but it was MY fan fiction, dammit! :p

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2015, 01:09:47 AM »
Vermis,
Im pretty sure Tolkien purists would get their feathers ruffled looking at my project, but what the hey.  I cant not use the idea of Moria, its too powerful an archetype.  If Im running with it, Im gonna run with it deep into Monty Pythonesque country, even into Lovecraftian country.  Darn... another spoiler.  But yeah, the Watcher in the Water? Cmon, that thing is definitely a mythos creature, and its bound to have friends!!!    :P

I'm a massive Tolkien purist and i think this is great. :D (to the point where i actually caused STRANGERS to WALK OUT of the final hobbit viewing because they said ,and i'm quoting "the look on my face scared them and they thought i was really ill or about to do something ".Found that out when the usher asked if i was alright. apparently they were so anxious that they felt they had to inform security.)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/