Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:51:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690525
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer In Moria: Tempt not the Valar, You Proud Hobbit!  (Read 130296 times)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: 7/04 July 4th Weekend Part 1 - Dwarven Fortress
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2015, 01:35:27 AM »
nic-e,

Ha! great story, I wish you had a selfie of your "war face", it sounds epic. :p

Offline stenicplus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
Loving the Dwarves!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: 6/29 Battle Of Balin's Tomb Part 2 AAR
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2015, 04:21:01 PM »
I'm a massive Tolkien purist and i think this is great. :D (to the point where i actually caused STRANGERS to WALK OUT of the final hobbit viewing...

You did better than me. lol Last Middle-Earth movie I sat through was The Two Towers, and that was it for me.

Stonking fort, Mars. Looks entirely excellent and atmospheric. Is that a commercial model or did you build it yourself, too?

Nice story updates too, but TBH I'm itching to get a look at Evil Balin!

Offline rednorseman

• Librarian
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2015, 06:19:16 PM »
Agreed. The castle is a wonderful piece. Did you make it from scratch? If so, it is very well done -very jealous.
cheers-
red

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2015, 06:28:22 PM »
Vermis,

Curious to know how you felt about the Bakshi LOTR...  Personally, I wish someone in the future would use the same hybrid animation style and make a grim dark LOTR redux.  Not the Rankin Bass, mind you, those things must be burned... every last one!  (I can still hear that darned "Frodo of the Nine fingers" song in my head...  Arghh! or "Where theres a whip theres a way!" NOoooo!)

Also, the lil stonghold is from Ziterdes. Hmm, I wish I copy pasted my private post to Momotaro about my review of it.  Why does this forum not save drafts of your outgoing messages? 
TLDR, Ziterdes is great!  Shipping is reasonable, its sturdy, lightweight, takes paint really well, I myself will buy more from them when my gaming funds allow.

And Im also itching to show off Evil Balin too!  But thats about 2 or 3 posts away.  :(
The lil fella and his evil buddies are frothing at the mouth to get some tender lovin paintwork.  But they have been based and primered already, hope that holds them off.  I have this funny scenario in my head, where I wake up and Balin and his buddies are just sitting on my chest.  Wouldnt that be creepy?! Good thing I dont have an older brother to prank me like that.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2015, 07:49:26 PM »
Been a while since I saw the Bakshi version, and I can't quite remember much of it, but there are a fair few parts I raised my eyebrows at. It's left me with an abiding hatred of rotoscoping, for one thing. :D Even rotoscoping that's relatively well done. (I understand why they used it, when time and resources ran thin, but to me the ringwraiths and orcs set against the heroes was an even more jarring clash in styles than Who Framed Roger Rabbit)
I'm not sure why they turned Strider into Charles Bronson, Boromir into Hagar the Horrible, Gollum into Kenneth Williams, and Sam into a complete wazzock. Poor old Sam, one of my favourite characters. I know he's not entirely bright or heroic, but did he deserve that? That's one thing I can't fault the PJ movies for - the casting of that kid off The Goonies was a pretty good decision.

Thanks for the note about Ziterdes! And here's hoping Balin doesn't getcha in yer sleep. :D (I have a feeling that if Toy Story was real, we all here would be in deep trouble)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
I can post it for you though Mar... thanks for the review, it's really appreciated!

Quote from: Mars Miniatures
Well,  heres my view on Ziterdes
Its slightly expensive.  And if you dont live in Europe, it takes awhile to cross the pond.  

BUT,

The material it is made of is (expanding foam spray used for insulation)  incredibly light weight, extremely durable, and comes already primered (really good stuff, it wont rub off).  The interior is slightly hollow in spots to help lessen the weight, but there are no thin spots that would make it breakable (you wont accidently poke through your castle, unless with a chainsaw).  I accidentally dropped the whole thing after painting it, and my heart stopped for a minute, but there was no breakage or chippage, or even paint coming off! (But I must say, my leg bent with instinct and the castle kind of slid at a nice angle  and didnt hit the floor directly which might have helped with the impact) That german engineering isnt a myth, they really got the expanding foam thing down, Im sure they arent a one man operation that stacks rocks on top of a mould in a back yard.  With that said, I havent tried Hudson & Allen castles (here in the USA) which are made from the same process and material, but I hear good things and see nice pics of their stuff.  Only reason I chose Ziterdes, was I wanted that Balins Tomb as well.  Secondly, I like that the castle was imbedded in rock cliffs, which HUdson & Allen dont have.  Finally, shipping was a reasonable $20 for both Balins Tomb and the castle.  They came in a massive huge box, just packed in the best possible way with lots of room so no possible damage could occur.  But I am totally sold on expanding foam over traditional resins... in a terrain piece.

OK, there ya go, normally I wouldnt go to such great lengths to promote a product, but if you cant tell...  I really love their products so far.  When my gaming funds allow, I will definitely be picking up more of their stuff in the future.  I want the ziggurat, the ruins, the kings cliff (its the Argonath really), the watch tower ruin (its Weathertop!) etc...

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: July 8th - In The Court Of The Lizard King
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2015, 12:58:50 AM »
Taken from  http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/chicken-itza-in-court-of-lizard-king.html

Oldhammer - In The Court Of The Lizard King

Small post today, just a peek into some new terrain Ive been working on.  I wanted the next post to be a battle report, but I just had to share my new terrain.  The battle report is still on schedule for Friday-ish.

Cardboard, clay, glue, and paint a'plenty went into making this new terrain set.  As you can see they match well with my Dwarven Forge.   Now, you might be asking, what is a Meso-American step pyramid doing in Moria?  To justify having some oldhammer lizardmen on the blog, of course!  Unfortunately, I dont have any painted up yet, so a D&D Bullywug King will have to step up to the plate for awhile until such time as suitable lizardmen are painted up.  The turqoise trees are plastic, which Ive painted in a suitable otherworldly jurassic color.  The purple trees are Woodland scenics FineLeaf Foliage.  I suppose its a plant thats been treated with a preservative of some sort.  Once I painted them purple, they really popped out visually.

Welcome dear readers to the Court of the Lizard King, also called Chicken-Itza!

Somewhere deep in the Savage Lands, stands the Temple.

Once it was the center of an ancient civilization that brought order and prosperity to the Underworld -

a reptilian race created by the Gods of Order.  They worked hand in hand with the Dwarves: Lizard magic for Dwarven stonework, but that was millennia ago.  The wars of Chaos divided the races, until both the Lizardmen of Chicken-Itza and the Dwarves of Khazad-Dum were overthrown by evil powers.  The Dwarves abandoned Moria, but the Lizardmen stayed behind, were slaughtered, until only one remained...

The Bullywug King stirred from his reverie, for the first time in hundreds of years.  Events were happening in the real world, that were also coloring his dream world.  The Dwarves have returned to Moria, in greater numbers this time!  But there was something else...  The Ghost King has also returned... to the Savage Lands.  He has awoken the sleeping dead.  The Bullywug was not afraid of him or the vast armies he now commanded.  The Temple was imbued with an ancient spell that hid it from outsiders with a labyrinthine maze of jungle paths and cavern walls.  No one could find the Temple unless permitted to do so.

Here is an ancient Spawning Pool, where new born lizardmen were hatched.  But they have been still and quiet for many ages.

The grey flooring of the pools are made of clay, which I spread out and smeared to look like rock.  And the pools themselves are various green paints and inks with some blues as well, then sealed with a varnish top coat.

"There's danger on the edge of town
Ride the King's highway, baby
Weird scenes inside the gold mine
Ride the highway west, baby

Ride the snake, ride the snake
To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
The snake is long, seven miles
Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold"

Magic is infused in the water, the trees, the stone of this land.  An ancient magic, deep and slumbering.  But now it is stirring again... the Land is awakening...  and it is hungry!

The Bullywug stares out over the land and with his staff, he traces magical runes into the air.  Until a vision comes to him, of events near and far.  He sees the threads of the future and its major players.  The ancient enemy, the Balrog.  The Ghost King.  The Dwarf Lords.  The cruel Drow and their Dragon Queen.  And the Fallen Dwarf...  Balin.

The Bullywug King considers all possible futures and realizes he has a big decision to make that will determine the future of all his reptile kindred.  Sure there were feral reptiles out in the jungles, but they were savage and not intelligent.  If he chooses correctly, he will see the reemergence of the great Lizard race.

He stares down at the two Spawning pools in front of him, that have stood empty for a thousand years.

"I am the Lizard King
I can do anything"

Who should he side with...?  The alliance of Dwarves and Lizardkind was long ago, would the stunties even remember it?  It seemed like the right choice.

But what if the right choice leads to extinction?

The Bullywug King makes his decision...

He raises his staff again and magical energy is summoned.

But to what purpose?

Soon, the Bullywug King will receive visitors.  They will be the first guests to see Chicken-Itza in such a very long time...

Thats the post!

I will have to drop another hint again for the battle report coming up next post...

"Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won."

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:31:57 AM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2015, 02:05:24 AM »
Very cool set-up there...and that's from a guy who generally doesn't love Lizardmen. :D
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2015, 02:34:52 AM »
That is a FANTASTIC gaming board. WONDERFULLY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »
Oooh I like this, while I, just like elbows, not really love Lizardmen.

The Court Of The Lizard King look great -I'm secretly hoping it will be sieged, as it owuld b great seeing the good guys and the minions of darkness crowded all over that board battling :D ;D
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
The Battle Of Waterdoom.
An Oldhammer (Warhammer 1st Edition) Battle Report.
All 3 parts are up on my blog.  So read the full story there!

Taken from:  http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/battle-of-waterdoom-part-1-setup.html

Since this blog's fluff is surely a blight on Tolkien purist's radars, and probably Warhammer purists as well, I will now offend another type of purist.  Perhaps, the most rarefied purist of them all - the Napoleonic wargamer, or as I call it... Nappy gaming!  (Yuck even I hate the term, but I am embracing it with all my newfound shockjock wargaming blog vitriol.)

I wanted to do this parody of the Battle of Waterloo a month ago for the bicentennial anniversary, but the progress of this blog's fluff and the status of painted figures were not at a sufficient level to do so.  But here it is at last!  As fashionably late as Marshal Grouchy to the sound of the guns.  Im guessing this is going to be a pic heavy affair, so I will chop it into parts.  No new painted figures, this is purely a fluff/AAR post (after action report).  I will be using Warhammer 1st Edition, so this is a proper Oldhammer battle!

When last we left you, Gimli and company had decided to put off the search for Balin (they found a map to his location though).  Scouts were reporting that orcs were massing for an attack against the fledgling Eastgate colony, Gimli gave orders for an immediate return to help in its defense.

But they were ambushed in tight tunnels and caverns by Dragons of various colors spitting fire and acid and lightning.  Also, black hooded Drow were hampering their advance.  Little did the dwarves know that they were being corralled towards a large cavernous expanse known as Waterdoom. It was roughly square in its shape with a chamber hewn from the living rock on one end and a rise of rock on the other. (the cave of Caerbannog, wherein, carved in mystic runes, upon the very living rock, the last words of Olfin Bedwere of Rheged ... )  In the center was a mossy vegetation and a small marshy pit.  This was ground of the Dark Elf general's choosing...  a plan long thought out.  Plans within plans.  (I will not fear, fear is the mind killer!)

So Victory Points, or VP is the object of this battle.  If at any point, Dwarves control 3 VPs they win a sudden death victory!  The game ends when this happens or if the Dwarves are all defeated.  Sound easy?  Not so fast!  Orcs will arrive on the Eastern edge at the start of Turn 6 on a d6 roll of 5+.  If they dont arrive then, roll at the start of each turn.  4+ on Turn 7, 3+ on Turn 8, 2+ on Turn 9, automatic arrival on Turn 10.

Also, the Dwarves setup first without knowing where or how many enemies they will be facing!  Ooo, scary... deploy smartly, lil stunties!

PS.  House rule:  No Hatred rules for my Dwarves.  I want control over them, no mindless moving towards enemy.

PS ps.  Remember, this isnt just a battle report, the outcome will affect the whole fluff of the blog!  Actually that isnt saying much, since Im making up all this stuff on the spot.  I take pics and hope my brain will weave it all into a somewhat cohesive storyline.  And now, there sure are alot of characters and storylines going on... I hope I can keep all of it straight.  Im optimistic but no promises of consistency!  (Oh God, how is evil Balin going to fit into this whole mess?  Or that darned new Lizard king fella?)  But at any rate, if the Dwarves win this battle, they make it back to Easthold long before it is sieged, which in game terms, means they help the entrenchment level of the fortress; more food stores, ammunition, higher defenses of the walls and gates, and also better scout information on the enemy advance.  However, if they lose, Gimli and company are cutoff from Easthold and must decide on going west, upwards towards Mazarbul and the higher levels, or downwards to the more difficult levels where even more enemies live.  Or perhaps that secret map that Pickles found in the last battle?

View from the Western edge of the table.  Nearest to the edge we see the Chamber of Hougoumont.

Pickles:  It sure looks like Balins Tomb!

Hodor:  But its not.

Pickles: How many chambers are there in Moria that have a tomb smack dab in its center and a blue light glowing down on it?  What are the odds?

Hodor:  Just go with the bit, dude!

And the view from the Eastern edge of the table.  Closest to us is the rise of rock known as Papelotte.

Pickles:  I think thats the hill where Prince Uther and Helfast defended the Beer Cart from the Beholder!  But that cant be!  That hill is outside Moria miles away from here!  There's some inconsistencies in this fluff I object to!

Hodor:  You know what, you got something there.  Sometimes I think we are all just pawns in some big cosmic game.

And here is the central "valley" of Waterdoom Cavern.  With the mossy vegetation known as La Haye Sainte. and slightly north east of it is the Sandpit,  errr I mean the Swamp Pit.  And to the north of both is the northern exit of the Cavern.

Pickles:  You know La Haye Sainte means Holy Hedge?  Or maybe even Holy Wood...  its Hollywood, man!  In the future, thats where the humans make movies about us!  They think we arent real, Hodor!  But they are the ones that dont even exist yet!

Hodor:  Dude, my mind is blown...

(Disembodied voice of Jesse Ventura):  Miiiinnnnd  Controooolll.  HAARP, chemtrails, its all a conspiracy little Dwarf people!

Victory Point 1 is next to the well in the Chamber of Hougoumont.

VP 2 is in Holywood, err La Haye Sainte.

VP 3 is the north exit tunnel out of Waterdoom

VP 4 is in the Swamp Pit

And VP 5 is on top of Papelotte "hill"

4 Hours earlier...

Lord Commander Alric:  We still dont have enough forces to crush these Dwarves.  We underestimated their stubbornness.  We are not powerful enough to stand against Gimli and his Dwarf Lords.

Alyssa:  But our dark elf soldiers... They are the salt of the Blackroot Vale!

Lord Commander Alric: Scum! Nothing but beggars and scoundrels.  Mushroom Ale is the limit of their patriotism.

Alyssa:  Yet you expect them to die for you?

Lord Commander Alric: mm hmm

(enter Orc Ambassador Muffling)

Alyssa:  That Orc will spoil the dancing!

Lord Commander Alric:  Muffling!  Where is General Gragg and his army?

Orc Ambassador Muffling:  Gimli beat us at the Chamber of Mazarbul but he did not send any force to pursue us.

Lord Commander Alric:   If General Gragg will fight the Dwarves, I promise to hold them here in Waterdoom.  Tell him, I know Drow and Orcs have never been the best of friends, but together we can rid Moria of the Dwarven menace!

Orc Ambassador Muffling: On that promise, General Gragg would barbeque his favorite squig!

Lord Commander Alric:  I need you to tell Gragg, to march to us here in Waterdoom and outflank the Dwarves!

View of the Dwarven left flank.  Commanders Hodor, Pickles, and Grombrindal face the Chamber of Hougoumont.

Hodor leads a chant to boost the morale of his mercenaries.

Silver, Gold, Mithril... Trinkets!  Loot! Loot! Loot!

Pickles has been given a field promotion and now commands a small tunnel fighting outfit.

Grombrindal, the White Dwarf stands ready to battle!

Porkins:  I hope no Dragons show up this time!

Grombrindal:  Be a good fellow and settle down Mr Porkins... you will upset the lads.

The Dwarven main force in the center. Gimli and his advisors decide the main strategy is to break and control the center.  There are 3 VPs there, enough to win the game.  The side VPs are just a distraction.  (Hmm, the Dwarves line of thought seems oddly similar to a certain French fella's strategy as well.  Come to think of it, Mr Bonaparte might have been a stuntie due to his smallish stature)

Dwarven high command:  Nindalf the wizard, Gimli, and Baron Hawk.

Here are Nindalf's spells and info:

Constitution is generated thus: 2d4 x mastery level +4

Nindalf is a Level 2 wizard and ends up rolling a measly 4 on 2d4 (I dont think I ever rolled d4s in a miniature wargame before!)  So his constitution is 12.  Which means in the whole battle he can cast 12 points worth of spells. Each spell has energy cost, which is basically constitution cost.

Here are his randomly generated spells:

Level 1 Spells

- Cure Light Injury: 3 energy, cures 1 wound

- Far Sight: extends line of sight, pretty much useless in this game

- Fireball: 2 energy per fireball, can cast 2 per turn, 24" range str 2

- Bless: 4 energy, lasts d4+1 turns, gives target an additional 3+ save

Level 2 Spells

- Smash Door: useless here

- Turn to Frog: Sounds great! Then you realize it only targets the caster. Hmm... for escaping?

- Mystic Mist: 4 energy, 12 diameter cloud blocks line of sight, but also forces anyone in it to randomly move only 1" in their move phase.  This could be very useful!

King Gorrin and his Dwarf Lords are THE Old Guard!

Ive made each one of them a minor hero!

Gloin and his veterans.

Grumpy:  Harrumph...

The main unit of the Reaper Clan stands ready!

On the Dwarven right, facing Papelotte.

Captain Drogo, Baron Hawk's second in command, leads another unit of the Reaper Clan

Finally, we have Wallace and his Irregulars.   They are a motley assembly of miners, scouts and ne'er do wells.

Hamish: There's somebody coming.

Campbell: MacGregors from the next clan.

MacGregor: We heard about what was happenin' and don't want you "Amadans" thinkin' you can have your fun without us.

Wallace: Go home. Some of us are in this; can't help that, now. But you can help yourselves. Go home.

MacGregor: We'll have no homes left when the Orcs come through and burn us out. And they will!

[Wallace motions for the MacGregors to join them]

Hodor marches into the room!  Dwarves in oldhammer move a measly 3 and a half inches.

I must remember the Turn sequence, which is:

1 Movement

2 Shooting

3 Combat

4 Second Movement - as long as you didnt Combat, also no closer than 4" of enemy

5 Magic

6 Routing

So there is no running. You can charge in the first move phase though, but not the second.  Also, countercharges are available, which helps in the "To Hit" chart as a modifier.

Pickles is going to back up Hodor.

Grombrindal and Gimli decide to act as reserves and hold their ground.  When the Dark Elf positions are revealed they can then decide where best to lend a hand.

The center moves forwards with Gloin, Baron Hawk, and Captain Drogo.  Nindalf thinks about casting a Bless spell, but decides to wait, afterall energy points are so precious.  So precioussssss....

And finally, Wallace decides its probably best to go right up that hill instead of to the left and around.  Lucky for him, his troops are excellent at climbing the "high" ground.  Get it? Coz they are "high"landers?  Ba dum psh.....  (Crickets)

Next post:   The Battle Begins!

Again, all 3 posts of this battle are up on my blog.

For part 2 go to http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/battle-of-waterdoom-part-2-battle-begins.html

For part 3 go to http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/battle-of-waterdoom-part-3-battle-ends.html

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Poor dwarfs, I wish them better luck in future battles.  Wiol there be an expedition lead by Nindalf to unfreeze the poor Hodor? Judging by his eye movement he's still alive,  and Im sure he could be very useful for the remaining dwarfs!  :)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
LordOdo,

That Hold spell isnt permanent.  It only lasts 7 turns, by the end of the battle, he was freed.  Nindalf cancelled the Mystic Mist as they were retreating in good order and Pickles and his crew helped Hodor out the Chamber, to the jeers and catcalls of the She-Elves.  In fact, you can see Hodor limping away in the retreating in squares photo, he is near the bottom.  Safe to say, he is reunited with his mercenaries.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: Oldhammer In Moria: July 16th - Dungeon Chef: Quest For Meat
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Dungeon Chef: Quest For Meat, An Oldhammer AAR
Warhammer 1st Edition Battle Report

Taken from:  http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/dungeon-chef-quest-for-meat-part-1.html

Units of Orcs and rumors of the Undead approach!  Princes Ulther and Helfast are ordered to harass and delay the enemy.  King Kazador is fortifying the defenses of the fortress outpost known as Easthold.  Even the civilians are doing their part to help the war effort.  Twelve Dwarves are tasked with gathering food supplies for the upcoming siege of Easthold.  This is their story...

Hello, dear readers to yet another 3-part Battle report!  Im still using Warhammer 1st Edition for this.  This time its a bit smaller in scope, and gives us the perfect scenario to help introduce some secondary characters in Easthold.  Im using a card deck to determine this scenario's enemy appearances - they will arrive randomly after turn 4, in groups of 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8.   A Dwarven reinforcement card is also in the deck.  On top of that, six tokens are placed on the board for the Objective locations.  These tokens are numbered and represent a dungeon denizen that the Dwarves are hunting for food supplies.  Each of these have their own stats and abilities, but also have their own temperament rating.  Some are aggressive and charge the Dwarves, some are indifferent and remain stationary, and others will bolt and run from the hunters.  The tokens are revealed by rolling a die when a Dwarf is within range of it.  Some dwarves have modifiers that help them when rolling on their temperament monster rating check.  Once a monster has lost all its wounds, it is considered to be "Bonked" - a good thumping to its noggin will tame the beast and it will move at the speed of any Dwarf that leads it.  Each monster has a dungeon meat rating, which are worth victory points.

Victory table is:

Dwarf Major victory - Bring back 7 or 8 points worth of dungeon meat and have no Dwarven losses.

Dwarf Minor victory - Bring back 5 or more points worth of dungeon meat and have no more than 3 Dwarven casualties.

Draw - Above conditions not met.

Enemy victory - Dwarves have 5 or more casualties

These victory conditions will affect the Siege of Easthold scenario.

And now we bring you to the action....

From left to right:  Mochi the Dwarf Ninja, Ratcatcher, Chumley, and Dudley the woodcutter

"Be vewwey vewwy quiet, Im hunting wabbit!"

Mochi, being a ninja sneaks forward towards the first counter!  Chumley in his armor makes a racket and decides to hang back while the more stealthy Dwarves move into position ahead.

Getting closer, the stunties should be able to identify the target any second!

Penny, a female Dwarf from the Reaper Clan also comes forward, using her crossbow to cover Mochi and Ratcatcher.

Penny:  (whispers)  What is it, Mochi?

Mochi: OMG!  Its... its...

I turn over the counter and its revealed to be monster meat number 2...  Myconid.  Myconids are a race of sentient fungoids.  Some of them can release dangerous spores when attacked.  Luckily, this is a "garden variety" Myconid.  It is worth 1 Dungeon meat.

Its indifferent to the Dwarves and just stands there stupidly.

Mochi: Cowabunga!

Ratcatcher: (slaps forehead)

Penny:  Cut him some slack.  Yeah, maybe he isnt teenage or a mutant, but he is a ninja.

Mochi jump kicks the creature, excited to add mushroom cuisine to the larders of Easthold!

Ratcatcher has his hands full, holding back his frisky rodent companion.

And the Dwarves have their first success, as the Myconid is quickly Bonked into submission.

Bertha, the cook wrangles it and has it follow her to the main tunnel entrance.

Sleepy Dwarf is elected to watch over the captured creatures.

Bertha: Dont let them get away, Sleepy!  Or else!

Overview of the game board.  The southern tunnel at the bottom is where Sleepy is.

The center bridge is where the first token was revealed.

There are five more: southwest, northwest, north, northeast, and south east.

The corners are where possible advancing enemies may appear.

All captured creatures and Dwarves must exit from the southern tunnel only.

A Dwarf that stands sentry at the corners provide a modifier when enemies appear there.  This represents the early warning a sentry provides.  A drunk dwarf will only provide a +1, but a more vigilant Dwarf provides a +2

The Dwarves know that enemies are approaching quickly and must decide to spread their forces thin and explore as many locations as possible or play safe and move slowly and surely.  They decide to risk it and spread out!  Good luck little stunties!

Ratcatcher and Valdor the Slayer team up and head to the southwest location.

Penny and Bertha head to the southeast location.

Mochi, Rope Dwarf, Dudley the woodcutter, and Chumley head over the bridge to the northern locations.  While the 4 party Dwarves (2 are drunk) stay near the main southern tunnel as a flying reserve.  They will act as guides for Bonked creatures, guard them and also act as sentries for corners when they are captured.

Ratcatcher and Valdor the Slayer approach the southwest counter.

Its revealed to be number 4.  A Grick!

Gricks are aberrations from another dimension.  They are wormy tentacled horrors that have a sharp squid like beak.  It is worth 1 Dungeon meat and has an aggressive temperament.  It charges the Dwarves!

Valdor:  Are you sure this is edible?

Ratcatcher: Wrapped in seaweed and dipped in soy sauce, it makes a great sushi roll!

The Grick is quickly Bonked by the power of Valdor the Slayer!  Im thinking making Valdor a great hero might have imbalanced this game in favor of the Dwarves.  Ah well...

Two party Dwarves show up.  One leads the Grick away, and the other...

is now the sentry for the southwest corridor.

Unfortunately, he is a drunk Dwarf.  But any lookout is better than none.

Next post:  Dire Pork Luau Party

To see what happens next visit my blog for posts 2 and 3 of this battle report.
http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/dungeon-chef-quest-for-meat-part-2-dire.html
http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/07/dungeon-chef-quest-for-meat-part-3-no.html

Cheers,
Mar