Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer In Moria: Tempt not the Valar, You Proud Hobbit!  (Read 129210 times)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Oldhammer In Moria: Tempt not the Valar, You Proud Hobbit!
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:41:11 PM »
Hello Lead Adventure,

Long time lurker, first time poster.
Ive always admired this forum and its talented painters and was always too intimidated to join up.  But what the heck, Ive watched the dwarf posts because they mirror my own obsessions of late.  So, I present to you my own humble expedition to Moria...

An Expedition To Reclaim Moria!
mars-miniatures.blogspot.com
Some pics of my newly painted Dwarf expedition force. See blog for words and even more pics.

There are few stories in fantasy that elicit that feeling of "desperate glory" more than the effort to colonize the fallen Mines Of Moria. The dwarven name itself, Khazad-Dum, evokes a sense of dread but also of mysterious treasures lurking in empty dusty halls. So these ideas have been burning in my mind of late, an obsessive compulsion like Dreyfuss carving out Devils Peak, first in mashed potatoes, then later in full blown "terrain mode" to fill your living room. I started this blog with the desire to focus only on 10mm middle earth, maybe dabble in other fantasy subjects, but always in 10mm exclusively. I cant stick to my miniature size shackles… not for "the long dark of Moria". I must, need to return to 28mm. Like Gimli said, "we cannot pass over the mountain. Let us go under it!"

The minis are Reaper Miniatures. Expensive, yet a veritable treasure. The terrain is Dwarven Forge Cavern Tiles. An even more expensive treasure. I spared no expense. ( Dinos sold separately)
So below are my first 30 Dwarves, and they fall into three groups: 1)civilian explorers who are miners, metal and wood workers, etc…, 2) professional soldiers, and 3) the nobility and their House Guard. My goal in this project is for every figure to be a unique character "no duplicate sculpts", also only metal minis.

Rules wise, I will be using Song of Blades and Heroes. I will not be refighting Moria exactly. My lost underground Dwarven Kingdom is hypothetical (fantastically speaking). Yes Orcs and Balrogs will make appearances, but I wont be limited to Middle Earthian sensibilities. All manner of foul beasties will inhabit the Moria of my dreams. This is a far deadlier expedition. So armor up, friends. Get your spelunking skills on and I will see you in the caverns/dungeons/mines/what have you…

"Baruk Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!" (The axes of the Dwarves are upon you!)
- Dwarven battle cry

« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 03:20:56 AM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Another (Probably Doomed) Expedition To Moria!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »
WELCOME ABOARD! The Project sounds like a WONDROUS enterprise. The Vertically Challenged Adventurers & their Cavern environs are FANTASTIC...GREAT brushwork. This should be an inspiring thread to follow. Have FUN with it all!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 01:06:02 PM »
Deafnala,
Thanks for the welcome.  Even though Im finally "in the door" and no one knows me, I feel like I know everyone.  Im a big admirer of yours, in fact.   I just ordered some Harlequin stunties via BlackTree just because I saw them on your thread. They should be on my doorstep any day now, and I cant wait to graciously show them into my home.

Cheers,
Mar

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 01:14:42 PM »
THAT is an introduction with a bang! Welcome and well done! I look forward to see more...  :D

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
Michi,
Thanks budday! And more you shall see, in approximately 2 days...  These newly painted guys are giving me mean looks for not finishing their companions faster.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 04:51:58 AM »
  For full text and pics see http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/

Hello again, gentle readers.  Im happy to show off the first adversaries to confront my dwarven expedition...  the Dark Elves!  Dark elves are evil hearted elves who live underground, unlike their forest dwelling good natured cousins on the surface.  In Warhammer they are called Druchii, and in D&D they are called Drow.   I have chosen to paint their skin a purple hue to counterpoint their mostly black armor and cloth. Also, I realize I dont advertise my painting service as much as I should.  So, yes, I do commission work, and its about $10 per figure for 28mm fantasy, to the level you see here on this blog.  Email me with details of figures you need painted for more details.

Below we have some fluff, and of course some lovely pics with more text to accompany.  Enjoy.

Emptiness, then the cold stone of his surroundings.  Reality, then hunger, but not his, and then the all too familiar return of distant ghostly wailing voices.  "Feed us!" His cursed sentient sword hungered for fresh souls to harvest.  Alric was disturbed from his meditation, but not by his blade, something else.  His sharp hearing detected two persons approaching his chamber.  By the weight of her footsteps and the swish of her noble robes, he knew one was the Countess Alyza.  The other he knew by the clinking of various vials, even before he smelled the sharp odor of sulfer and other alchemical agents - Grigori, the Master Of Poisons.  Life as a Drow is a constant dance of politics and assassinations, Alric had been taught as a child.  He turned to face the door and with a wave of his hand, he magically opened it.  The two Drow entered, the Countess with head held high and fangs visible in her disarming smile.  The Alchemist was more subservient, with a lowered head to show his respect.  Alric could feel the hunger within the Countess, an unsatiable bloodlust.  But this time, it was palpable... excited even.  But not directed at him, this was no play for power.  He understood this hunger all to well, felt it mirrored by the sword at his side.  Which meant only one thing.  
  "Intruders in our realm," Alric said simply.  Grigori nodded.  
  "Yes, Lord commander, our favorite," the Countess smiled. "Dwarves..."

Next post, I will try to do a battle report, with either of these rule sets:  Knights & Magick by Heritage, or Song Of Blades And Heroes.  Havent decided yet which to read up on.  I used to play Knights & Magick, so that would be easy to brush up on.  I would prefer to do Song, but I would have to wrap my head around a new and unfamiliar ruleset.  

Cheers,
Mar
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:54:49 AM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 05:01:53 AM »
Cool. Love all of it!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 05:47:58 AM »
Ether rule set you choose,  it will be a visual treat
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline matiec

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 06:20:00 AM »
Love the terrain looks fantastic !

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 06:24:11 AM »
Welcome on board.

What a way to introduce yourself!

That is some really lovely scenery and minis.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 02:37:36 PM »
Everything looks fantastic! I'm a big fan of Song of Blades & Heroes. It's dead simple ... after a couple of turns you won't even need to consult the rulebook.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »
@Everyone,
Thanks again, buddays! 

@PatrickWR,
Thats what I hear, Ive got to just grit my teeth and dig into it. 

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »
Very cool!
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 08:22:59 AM »
 I bought some Alternative Armies dwarves on ebay, a box called Tunnel Fighters.  I suppose they are OOP, couldnt find them on their website.  There were 10 of them, but only 4 unique sculpts.  So I will keep 4 and sell the other 6.  If anyone wants some, let me know, I will sell them $11.50 a piece painted.  They are 25mm, so are smaller than my Reaper dwarves, so in my world they are now gnomes.

For full post http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/04/gnomish-tunnel-fighters.html

Group shot of all 4 gnomes

In the future I want to make a artsy pic of these guys in a proper dark tunnel with lighting appropriate for torchlight.

The guy on the left is a firepot thrower.  Naptha bombs! I love the smell of burning goblin in the morning.  And I love that lil guy on the right, with his tongue sticking out, he really loves tunnel fighting.

Here is a comparison shot with a Reaper dwarf.  Sure he is smaller, but isnt short on character.

Another comparison shot with a Reaper dwarf with a lantern in the center.  I think he will be their boss.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:05:26 AM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 09:24:18 AM »
That. Is. Beautiful.

:-* :-* :-*