Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:06:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer In Moria: Tempt not the Valar, You Proud Hobbit!  (Read 129195 times)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Another (Probably Doomed) Expedition To Moria!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »
The new Dwarfs in the mine look SPLENDID & go well with the Reapers...a similar build & a difference in height adds a touch of realism. Along with all those BEAUTIFULLY painted Evil Elves you are really making EXCELLENT progress. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 01:05:32 AM »
To all lovers of dwarves,

I regret to inform you that we lost 3 lil stunties in their brave crossing over the Atlantic.  As I raise my pint or mead/ale, I hope you all join me in a moment of silence for the glorious fallen dead...  Below is an excerpt from the "tragedy"

"So, what happened? I opened my package today and was happy for the arrival of Ratnik dwarves, but my joy turned to concern when I found that a corner of the box was damaged.  Then upon opening the box, I found 4 clamshells still shut, but 1 big clamshell open...  with 9 figures loose in the box.  Quickly counting the minis, my concern turned to sorrow as it dawned on me that 3 dwarves were missing in action.   :'(

Being a miniature wargamer, I thought I would post this in the style of an AAR/Battle Report with commentary to the pics...

The damaged box corner, where 3 wee dwarves lost their lives, or perhaps we should say are wandering in unknown lands.  Interestingly, that tape says it was placed by the post office here in South San Francisco, I have made a call to them to search their floors for shiny metal figures... so far to no avail.  Im surprised that only 3 were lost, despite the hull damage that box took.

Overview of everything that arrived safely

The three missing figures were part of this gallant troop - DWA-DEAL-06 Dwarf Adventurers (9)

And circled in red are the missing Dwarves, may their lead alloyed souls rest in piece in Valhalla/Erebor.

So Lords of Lead Adventure, please advise me on my predicament.  Do I, or you pursue the postal service?  Will you send replacements?  Even if you dont send them free, I will pay again for them, since its not really your fault.  I am also sending link to this thru your online contact us form.

In mourning for lost dwarves,
Mar
"

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 02:14:35 PM »
You have my DEEPEST condolences on your tragic loss. The Survivors are UBERCOOL.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »
http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/04/oldhammer-first-edition-box-set-has.html

Oldhammer First Edition Box Set has Arrived!

I've owned nearly every edition of Warhammer at some point or another.  But the original White Box 1st edition was the one that never synchronized with my finances, availability, and/or my interest in wargaming (dont you just hate those hobby droughts).  At long last, much like the Dark Crystal, the Great Conjunction is upon me.  Just today, I have received a beautiful copy.  The box is reasonably intact, and all the booklets are in very good condition.  Also, the box contains not only the 3 booklets it should have, but also 3 booklets from the Forces of Fantasy expansion, and another booklet of armies called the Book of Battalions.  Basically everything I could ever need for 1st edition gaming.  I might hunt for some old White Dwarf magazines in the future though.

So its official…  this blog is now an Oldhammer blog.  And I am aligning myself to the codes of conduct of an ancient and venerable institution.  The Invisible Fraternity, the Brotherhood of Worldwide Gaming Grognards.  Our manifesto: to grumble a lot, roll dice often and sneer at new fangled rules sets.  So, fellow soldiers of the Old Guard, I have come to say… after many years I am ready for a new campaign to extend, once again, the limits of glory!

Whats that mean for this blog?  I will be skewing my purchases towards old lead from the 80s.  Marauder, Citadel, Ral Partha, Grenadier, etc…  These will fill the ranks of lead I already have.  And of course my rules are here, a perfect fit as you will see for my Dwarven Lost Kingdom Reclamation Project.  Highlights as to why Im using 1st edition: Use any figures, rules for fighting in dungeons, dwarf and gnome army lists, scenario driven games, character hero progression for a hybrid blend of rpg/wargaming, and even stats for Balrog (yeah, not a bloodthirster… Balrog, deal with it, Tolkien estate!) Some pics to celebrate and some words to accompany them below.

Beautiful old school charm, box is in great condition considering it was "made in 1982"

And look at all the goodies that were in it!

More pics and text at http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/04/oldhammer-first-edition-box-set-has.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:51:39 AM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 10:14:51 AM »
I will be skewing my purchases towards old lead from the 80s.  Marauder, Citadel, Ral Partha, Grenadier, etc…  These will fill the ranks of lead I already have.  

I still have quite some of that if you´re interested...  ;)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: Dwarven Lost Kingdom Reclamation Project is now powered by Oldhammer
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »
Oh, Im interested.  :-*  What do you have that you are willing to part with?

I need to raise some spending cash first.  I will be selling some 10mm warmaster armies on ebay soon.
Unless... you are interested in trade?  do you Warmaster much?  Coz, I have painted and unpainted 10mm armies of Copplestone, Warmaster, Magister Militum. I have painted 6mm Total Battle buildings as well as hedge, treeline and hill terrain, you can see them on my blog.   I have other things besides, if you are interested in trade, let me know.

Cheers,
Mar

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »
Oh, Im interested.  :-*  What do you have that you are willing to part with?

PMed you...

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 02:49:24 PM »
Fantastic looking project and great looking terrain and figures...I like your style!

I'm very saddened by the word of the free range dwarfs...they must feel like fish out of water in San Fran...to many hippies for their style!  lol

I look forward to seeing this project continue to evolve.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »
Blue,
Ha! Yeah, I think its hobbits who are definitely more hippie friendly.  Dwarves would probably like the Colorado, Wyoming, the Rocky Mountain states more than California.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »
Great project and 1st edition takes me back to school days and my pre slotta orc army :D

Offline Kyusumu

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 10:15:22 PM »
Awesome work Mars :)  Great brushwork and fantastic character on all of these.

I wanted to say that I know exactly what you mean with the smaller dwarves.  I've got several old reaper ones that serve as Gnomes now in my game world.
When fighting the thousand, you must still defeat them one at a time.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 10:39:03 PM »
Awesome stuff.  You've also sold me on the DF water cavern bits.  I've been needing some rivers.  I would go with unpainted, but I don't know if they come with the clear acrylic or not. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 11:44:35 PM »
Kyusumu,
Yup, the Sandra Garrity ones are gnomes in my world, I just received alot of stuff on my "prep to paint" table and I can see that Hasslefree, Bob Olley, and Ral Partha dwarves are going to be joining the ranks of my gnomish allies.  Lead Adventure Ratniks, Kev Adams, and Stonehaven dwarves are about the same size of the modern Reaper and GW ones.  I just made a trade for some marauder 80s dwarves, and Im anxious to see how they match up.  Im hoping they are just big enough to hang with the big boys.  If not, I will still call them dwarves, but that they have gnomish grandfathers on their mothers side twice removed... ;p

Elbows,
yeah, I dont know if the unpainted water cavern tiles have the acrylic top.  I would imagine they dont.

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 09:38:05 PM »
Big post with lots of pics today!  Im very happy to welcome these newly painted dwarf reinforcements into my burgeoning Moria Dwarf colony.  They are Ratnik Miniatures from Lead Adventure.  As most of you know I am a TMP stalwart, yet I have lurked in the Lead Adventure forum for many years.  No more lurking!   I have recently joined their forum as a member, and am proud to be among such an illustrious and talented community of painters and hobbyists.

These figures match in size very well with Reaper and GW dwarves, which you can see for yourself in the comparison shots at the end of the post.  They are pleasantly plump and full of character.  The details are sharp and catch paint with delight.  These 17 new arrivals (3 were lost in the mail, somewhere over the Atlantic!) I have divided into 3 groups: a) the commander and his 8 Household Guard, b) the Wizard and his 2 apprentices, and c) 5 Cave Explorers.

Onwards with pics and text...

For full post with more pics and words:
http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/04/lead-adventures-ratnik-dwarf-clan_28.html

Group shot of the Ratnik clan as they enter Moria, wondering if the first wave of colonists are still around.
Gorman: "All we know is that there's still no contact with the colony, and that a xenomorph may be involved."

Here is Grand Ole Axetooth, chieftain of the Ratnik Hills clan, with his trusty mug of ale.

And here come the Ratnik Cavern Experts, with lanterns, ropes, and other spelunking gear.  Yes, two dwarf womenfolk... they can sniff out which tunnel leads to treasure more easily!

And here is Balgar Blackwing, dwarven wizard! Along with his support personnel, a librarian and a scribe.

My cousin Balin would give us a Royal welcome~! Roaring fires, malt beer, red meat off the bone.

Librarian Iolag: "According to this, the living quarters are this way!"
Gombur the Scribe: "Day 2 since entering the Mines, we are lost and there is no sign that the first wave of the Reaper Dwarf clan was ever here.  Repeat, first wave was ineffective.
Capt John Miller: "First wave ineffective. We do not hold the beach, repeat, we do not hold the beach."

Swinging axes all day is thirsty work!

I smell orc!  Or maybe its just bat droppings.

I think those are wild cave boar ahead.  I didnt sharpen my trusty meat cleaver for nothing!
Wait, its not cave pig, its our Reaper clan brothers!

And so the 2 clans were reunited.  Comparison shot, Left to Right: Ratnik, Reaper, Ratnik - Grand Ole Axetooth, Reaper - Baron Hawk, Ratnik

And finally a battle of the hoods - comparison shot, Left to Right:Ratnik, Reaper, Ratnik, Reaper, Ratnik

So there ya go!  17 Ratnik clan dwarves join 30 Reaper clan dwarves and 4 gnomish tunnel fighters.  Im not resting on my laurels though.  I just prepped and based 20 Heartbreaker dwarves, sculpted by Kev Adams.  Busy brushwork from the Mines of Moria!  Until the next post...

Cheers,
Mar

See the rest of the pics:
http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/04/lead-adventures-ratnik-dwarf-clan_28.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:57:08 PM by Mars Miniatures »

Offline Theatralic

• Scientist
How could I miss this  :o

Lovely Endeavor and great choice of Miniatures (apart from those pesky elves ;P, I hope you keep them locked away, can`t trust them)

Thos elost Dwarves broke my Heart :/

Great Stuff  :D

My Vintage Dwarfs: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42987.0