Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:00:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer In Moria: Tempt not the Valar, You Proud Hobbit!  (Read 129229 times)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: Heartbreaker Dwarves - Tale Of The Evil Eye
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2015, 12:38:52 PM »
Great stuff. I feel Kev's Dwarfs always have been rather underrated. In the same style as the Heartbreaker ones he made a few for Harlequin / Black Tree design.
Might have to paint them up some day...  ;).
Leadhead

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2015, 01:24:34 PM »
WONDERFUL STUFF! The latest Dwarven Gang looks especially cool...OUTSTANDING paint jobs & BEAUTIFULLY expressive faces. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2015, 11:54:58 PM »
Thanks fellas,

Duncan McDane,
I have got those Harlequin dwarves up on the docket as well.  They look just as wonderful. 

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2015, 03:09:25 AM »
It's great seeing some Kev Adams dwarves painted up!

I painted the one with lantern pointing in high school and I recently found it glued it back on its base. I'm meaning to take a picture next round of pictures. By coincidence I also came into possession of another copy of him along with two mates, and at least one of them will probably get paint in the next year or so. Also have a pack of the harlequin ones I've had since they were released.

At any rate, good job getting them into the dungeon. Or mine, rather. :)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: Oldhammer - 80's Citadel Middle Earth, Dwarf Fighters, & Slayers
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »
From full post here:
http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/05/oldhammer-80s-citadel-middle-earth.html

Lots of 80's metal goodies today! I just finished painting up 3 groups of dwarfs from these ranges: Citadel Lord of the Rings dwarves, Citadel dwarf fighters/adventurers, and Marauder Slayers. I really enjoyed painting these retro stunties.

I use this site to find out what Im looking/hunting for:

http://solegends.com/citadel/index.htm

Its probably best to go through the catalogues by year here:

http://solegends.com/citadel/catindex.htm

And boy, I gotta tell ya, there are a lot more Oldhammer miniatures than I remember.  Add in the fact that Im also collecting newer companies that have that retro feel.  Meaning...?  This blog will be around for quite a while. There will be dwarves a-plenty around every corner to rustle up, paint, and send into the Moria Reclamation Project! Sigh, and then at some point, theres a whole mineful of Orcs to get to...

Onwards to pics and descriptions...

First off, we have Gimli and some old school Middle Earth dwarves

I really like this Gimli, much more than the modern movie version.  He just seems... stalwart?  Is it just a case of rose colored glasses?  Then again, I am biased, as I used to have this fella back in the actual 80s.

This figure is supposed to be armored Gimli and has a mounted version in the blister (which I dont have).  But instead, I am going to use him as Gloin, Gimli's dad.  So father and son are now in Moria searching for their cousin Balin.  And just you wait til you see my Chamber of Mazarbul coming up!  Will my version of Moria have Balin, Lord of Moria deceased?  Or is he yet somewhere deep below fortifying crumbling chambers against hordes of greenskins!  Ah, Im getting ahead of my narrative.   That is still several posts away. ;p

These three Lord of the Rings dwarves are blister pack ME-33.  I have painted their shields with the Lonely Mountain heraldry.  Not sure what the 3 stars are, but stars are sparkly, so there.

And here are 5 Marauder Slayers,  In my opinion, much better than the 90's versions.  And far superior to the 00's.  The regimented look of modern Warhammer figures just feels so cold.

I debated giving them the bright orange dyed hair and flip flopped, several times.  In the end, orange hair screams dwarf slayer to me.  I did give them the celtic striped pants and blue face paint as well.

Look at how characterful these guys are!  Each sculpt is an individual, not like modern sculpts.

Alrighty, these are a mix of Citadel fighters and adventurers.  Maybe some northern dwarfs as well?

Im calling the Dwarf wizard - Nindalf.  Yup, the only apprentice to Gandalf the grey, he also got a Palantir Seeing-Stone as well.  I didnt photograph this too well, but the crystal ball has a numeral 8 on it...  Magic 8 Ball!  Will I ever finish this Moria Project?  "Dont count on it"   Hmm, thats a little ominous, isnt it?  Answer courtesy of "Ask the 8 Ball" at http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html

This dwarf is either carrying a map or a really large "fortune cookie" fortune.

That dwarf with a hammer is definitely Grumpy.

A group shot of the latest additions to Moria

From the other angle...

And finally a comparison shot (from L to R): Citadel Gimli, Alternative Armies, Reaper, Ratnik

Interesting, that the Alternative Armies dwarf matches well with Oldhammer.  Which means the tunnel fighters are back to being Dwarves after all!  Congrats lil fellas, you have graduated to full time Dwarf status.  Now, as for those old school Ral Partha's.... well... you will see in a post or two.

So what next?  We still have to resolve the Beer Cart adventure, dont we? and we will do so... in style!

Until next post, this is Mar signing off.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2015, 05:31:30 AM »
Nice additions! I really like those slayer models too, and fully agree with you on the topic of modern day regimented models.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
... and fully agree with you on the topic of modern day regimented models.

+1. Just had the same discussion with Braxandur on the subject  lol.
Again, nice additions, would love to see more of those...

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
Thanks fellas,

Its hard not to like the character of old school minis.  Although I have heard someone boast that their Warhammer army was all plastic and digitally sculpted.  Sadly, that person was me a few years ago.  Luckily I came to my senses!  What can I say, I was optimistic about the technology!

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »
Really nice job on all the dwarfs, but those 80s Citadel LotR figures are among my favourite figures ever, and you've done a cracking job on them!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2015, 01:02:39 PM »
The Old Vertically Challenged Gumblers do have an abundance of charm & character. GREAT STUFF!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »
Only just caught this thread.
Shame on me!
 ::)

Some great stuff in here....
Those caverns: I love what you have done with the place.
 :-* :-*

The Old Vertically Challenged Gumblers do have an abundance of charm & character. GREAT STUFF!

They sure do!
Lovely work on some great old skool sculpts.
Full of character, as you mentioned.
 8) 8)

I was considering selling off my old skool Dwarves soon, but this thread may have just reminded me what great stuff that I have in the pile.
 ;)

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: Oldhammer In Moria - A Party Of Special Magnificence
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2015, 11:16:29 PM »
From full post:   http://mars-miniatures.blogspot.com/2015/05/oldhammer-in-moria-party-of-special.html

Thus, did Bugman's Beer Cart make its way past Warg infested forests and Troll haunted hills.  Until the day came, when at last on a warm summer afternoon, the Cart and its defenders entered the legendary gates of Moria to the cheer of thirsty dwarves!  Hello readers!  In this post, we have partying dwarves from Citadel, Bob Olley, Stone Haven. Also, King Kazador and his personal House Guard.  Lastly, we focus on some fluff with the 6 major leaders of the dwarves that currently inhabit my Moria Reclamation Project.

Unloading the Beer Cart for the party.  Or is it "refilling our empty kegs from the Beer Cart?"  There must be some enchantment or Rune of Holding on that Cart Keg.  That must be it!  The Cart Keg has magical properties that allows beer to enter a pocket dimension that is larger than it seems from the outside.  That Bugman is a smart fellow, instead of sending out a hundred barrel wagons, he sends one magical one.  Ok, in the pic above, on the far left we have a fur hat wearing dwarf from Armorcast's Bob Olley Dwarf World, which I must warn anyone buying...  is a large sized line of dwarves.  I actually cut off his feet to make him fit in with the rest of my stunties.  Next to him is a bald dwarf Brewmaster from Stonehaven Minis. Then a drunk dwarf from Citadel and beside him, a keg carrying dwarf who is actually a cannon crew loader (or perhaps an organ gun). At any rate he has now been requisitioned for beer duty instead.

Ah, the Dwarf Barmaid is bringing drinks around.  Someone yells "Mhinz Abeir", and everyone else yells "Zyor Rond".  The barmaid is another large Armorcast dwarf who has had foot surgery to mix in nicely with everyone else. I believe the fellow flagging her down for a drink is another artillery crew member, perhaps the Marauder siege gun?

Word has gotten around that the Beer party is here!  Some civilians are filing in, taking an early day off work to celebrate.

Ahh, look its the woodcutter, the engineer, the young Blacksmith-tress, a happy cheering dwarf, stuntie on stilts (handy for when a dwarf needs that jar on the top cupboard), and the rat-catcher (another very important dwarf to be in Moria, wouldnt want the colony to be knee deep in vermin, would we?)  The lady blacksmith is from Stonehaven, woodcutter from Armorcast, the rest are Citadel.

Late to the party, is the woodcutters assistant, and the dwarven Ninja. Doesnt every self respecting dwarf colony have one?  Ninja stars and smoke bombs, helpful in a tight spot.

Cheery dwarf: "Barmaid, service please!"

The dwarves lead the Cart deeper into the Mines towards the "safe zone" where the bulk of the colony reside.

What a merry gathering of dwarves. A veritable conga line of mirth.  Some dwarves prefer to stay behind at the pond to continue their pool party.

All this time, the party-goers have been protected by the watchful eye of the Gold-Shields...

King Kazador and his House Guard!  I have modified him to carry a shield and done away with his horn.  I think he looks far more business now. Definitely ready to start hammering some greenskins!

His companions are of the most dangerous sort.

While the dwarves have their party below, above them on a ledge, it actually is time for business... a gathering of the clan elders!  From left to right: King Kazador, Gimli, Prince Ulther, Prince Helfast, Chief Ratnik, and Baron Hawk.

King Kazador outranks the others and is declared the leader of the Moria colony.  The dwarves still only hold the smallest portion (2 levels out of hundreds) in Khazad-Dum, and are still in danger if ever a serious attack is made upon them.  Yet, Gimli asks that he be sent to explore the lower depths of Moria to search for his cousin Balin (the Lord Of Moria).  Kazador agrees, but only a small portion of warriors can be deployed for such a mission, at this time.  Baron Hawk of Clan Reaper stands up and volunteers to accompany Gimli's force into the deeper levels.  So be it, says King Kazador, Gimli and Baron Hawk will take their troops (a sixth of the total dwarves) and lead a recon in force to ascertain if Balin yet lives.  In the meantime, Kazador, Ulther, Helfast and Ratnik will continue to build up and fortify the defenses around the Eastern Gate, while waiting for more dwarves to arrive.

Gimli, Gloin, and Nindalf are off to plan for the adventure ahead.  They have maps and books to help them plot a course of action.

Baron Hawk tells his second in command, Captain Drogo about their mission.  Let their men enjoy one more night of festivities, but on the morrow... onwards to danger and glory!

So there you have it!  A party, some planning, and a hint of dangers looming in the near future.

Until next post... Zyor Round!

Cheers,

Mar

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: A Party Of Special Magnificence - Oldhammer In Moria
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »
They are looking great, Mars. I love your photos!

Offline Mars Miniatures

• Scientist
Re: A Party Of Special Magnificence - Oldhammer In Moria
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »
Arundel,
Thanks buddy!   Im using a Canon Powershot Elph and it works great for point and click.
Even though I know very little about the finer points of photography, technology sure can help a novice take bright clean pics.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: A Party Of Special Magnificence
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2015, 11:59:58 AM »
That is quite a collection of hard drinking Vertically Challenged Guys & Gals...WONDERFUL STUFF!
I think Bugman better get himself a larger delivery vehicle.