Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Star Wars Trailer  (Read 20526 times)

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
Re: New Star Wars Trailer
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2015, 11:51:35 AM »
And another Star Wars Anthology movie in 2018 with Josh Trank at the helm, the plan is to have a new Star Wars movie every year alternating with the Saga and the Anthology movies

Offline The-closet-gamer

• Librarian
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2015, 03:01:26 PM »
The bit where the Falcon is chased through the derelict ship reminds me of BSG Blood and Chrome where Adama flys a Raptor through a battlestar wreck. Still awesome though.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum. No wait I've just found another pack in my back pocket. Mmm tropical fruit bubblicious.

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »
I'm not much of a Trekkie fan, though I have watch Star Trek. The recent films were really cool from the perspective of someone not particularly involved in the 'lore'. And I really look forward to them doing more.

That's in part what I'm saying.  In order to appeal to a larger audience and be more accessible, the movies move away from the lore.  But the lore is what makes a franchise distinctive.  So we're left with (admittedly enjoyable) generic space adventures: they have the trappings of the franchise, but not the substance.  It's Spock's personality, for example, that makes him noteworthy, not his pointy ears, and the new movies gave us a Spock with the ears but without the personality. I suspect something similar will happen with the new SW movies: they will have the right look but not the substance.

I'm not trying to deviate too far from the SW trailer or start a debate about Hollywood but rather to explain why I can't drum up the same enthusiasm that many of the other people in this thread have.  This is just a neat-looking space action movie to me, nothing more.   
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »
That's in part what I'm saying.  In order to appeal to a larger audience and be more accessible, the movies move away from the lore.  But the lore is what makes a franchise distinctive.  So we're left with (admittedly enjoyable) generic space adventures: they have the trappings of the franchise, but not the substance.  It's Spock's personality, for example, that makes him noteworthy, not his pointy ears, and the new movies gave us a Spock with the ears but without the personality. I suspect something similar will happen with the new SW movies: they will have the right look but not the substance.

I'm not trying to deviate too far from the SW trailer or start a debate about Hollywood but rather to explain why I can't drum up the same enthusiasm that many of the other people in this thread have.  This is just a neat-looking space action movie to me, nothing more.    

Star Wars has always been a bit more 'wider audience' friendly though in comparison to Star Trek. Star Trek was always a bit stiff, whereas Star wars is like all shiny with lots of action and way more accessible for kids.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2015, 06:54:27 AM »
I'd argue that old Star Trek's stiffness was more a failure of the writers and filmmakers than something inherent to the style of the franchise. Trek's problem was that half the time it was trying to be smarter than it's writers by an order of magnitude, with cringeworthy results. The other half the time it was being cynically idiotic (lookin' at you, Rick Berman), with equally cringeworthy results.

I think the friction between old and new Trek fans comes from the inability to acknowledge this on both sides. Old trek fans don't like to acknowledge that old trek was usually badly written, badly directed, and critically underfunded for what it was trying to be. New Trek fans, a group that self-selects for not looking too deeply, tend to succumb to the old "it can be smart, or fun, but not both" false dichotomy.

Technically old Trek didn't have to die, it just needed smarter, more competent people behind the camera. People capable of being fun and smart at the same time (we've all seen numerous such movies, so the the either/or argument is pretty dumb). Politically though, I'm not sure that was actually possible without the pretense of a reboot to justify the degree of regime change (for lack of a better term) necessary. Kind of the franchise's own meta Kobayashi Maru.

JJ Abrams was half that. He certainly knows fun waaaaaaaaaayyyyy better than most of the old guys did. Problem is he offsets that by sending the brains equally in the opposite direction. New Trek is undeniably well directed for fun, but it's also undeniably Ralph Wiggum-esqe, and some of the performances come off more like SNL impressions than actual characters (lookin' at you, Carl Urban). He's not really more competent that the old guys, just much more laser-focused in what competency he has.

I'm not worried about his Star Wars movies though. The writing is being done by actual proven good writers, not JJ or his equally daffy preferred writing buddies, so he's only doing the part he's actually good at here: the directing. And he's said in interviews that he was never that into Trek any way, and so didn't really care much about trying to do it "right". But he IS a massive Star Wars fan, so his SW is likely to be more "right" than his ST just on that merit alone.

And as pointed out, the standards and legacy of Star Wars are different. It's always (in the movies, at least) been straightforward archetype-driven space-fantasy with few if any pretenses to anything else. Trek trying for intelligence and complexity and succeeding would be a fulfillment, because it has a legacy of trying for those things (occasionally succeeding, mostly failing). But one of the easiest ways to miss the point and screw up a Star Wars movie would be to try and make it complicated. Not being fun wasn't a deliberate part of the Trek style, but not being complicated is a deliberate part of the Wars style (before you say it: yup, like the political machinations in the prequels. THE IRONY, IT BURNS!).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:04:12 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2015, 09:08:30 PM »
So, i know this is some MAJOR threadnomacy, but there have been alot of new pics and a nw trailer since the first trailer came out, and i figured rather than making a new thread for the cool things , i'd invoke the dark gods of bandwidth and bring this back from the dead.

So ,second trailer with han and chewie came out and gave almost everyone who saw it a strong dose of manly feels,
we've had some pics of ships and villains, and now, we have THIS THING!

LOOK AT IT! I am going to buy at least 3 of these when they bring the toys out and make myself an army of high tech desert nomads!
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2015, 09:44:18 PM »
I like that and I don't  o_o

I do like the fact it's wearing an AT PT (I think) cockpit for a hat but I also think its a bit too Star Wars, if that makes sense.

Still can't wait for the films though  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2015, 01:50:12 AM »
not sure I like the storm troopers new helms. ?

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2015, 02:47:37 AM »
not sure I like the storm troopers new helms. ?
You mean the Duck Trooper helms?

Grimm

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2015, 02:53:44 AM »
all the Sith Stuff looks a bit new episodish,also some Droid Scenes  :? Still going to be a great Movie,no Doubt  :)

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2015, 04:27:16 AM »
All looking good so far.

It'd want to.  As others have commented elsewhere, if he stuffs it up he'll be forever known as Jar Jar Abrams.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2015, 07:45:34 AM »

Loving the new arm on 3PO, gives him a bit more personality
also makes me want get the 1/12 Bandai kit and do a ep7 repaint  :D