Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:06:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post Apocalypse project with Hotwheels and Outrider - Last vehicle 1st May  (Read 30061 times)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
I picked a rules system called Outrider earlier this year, which is a Post Apocalypse Car Wars style game with similar mechanics to the Wings of War series. I have started on a project to convert some Hotwheels cars and make some terrain for it. This will show my progress on this fun project.

BTW the rules are from here http://dicefestgames.blogspot.co.nz/p/outrider.html at  DiceFestGames and the rules are free to download but need printing.

The background is set in the southern states of the US with various Outlaw bands Comancehros and others, Outriders (Mercenaries) and Law enforcement (Republic of Texas Rangers), but you can create your own factions or background.

The Cars
I went a bit crazy and brought lots of cars as they were $2-3NZ and there are some cool designs. The game has 8 main car types with 2 variants of each.

The Interceptor
A 1970 Pontiac GTO, IIRC I went for a Mad Max theme on this one. the spikes on the front are a bit of sprue which had the right shape and I added a lot of extras to this.

Before

After

Ice Cream van  
This was the most extreme conversion I have done and dremmelling the front out to add the engine was something I wont do again, as it was a pain and I went through heaps of cutting wheels. I also had to enlarge the wheel arcs and I chopped of the signs from the roof.The wheels are off another car as the originals were pretty small and all the armour plates are off a 1/72 Stug.

Outlaw Raider

I'm planning to have all my outlaws painted bright colours and have a skull on the front. A great model and the missing guards look the part. The spiky front piece is from a dark eldar flying thingee. The skull is from some Skaven and the main gun is from a FOW 45mm Soviet AT gun

The Police
A police car which I added a bigger bumper and lights to and the side mounted weapon came out well (the parts fitted perfectly). The gun is from some spare from a Dragon HMMVEE kit.

[size=150]Outrider terrain[/size]
I went through some boxes of crap and found some mdf frames from a commission of 4Ground laser cut buildings. I kept the frames and they are proving useful for making oddball shapes for modern buildings. I also made some billboards and from the MDF frames I will post that later.

Garage
I cut out a piece for the front which is just the right size for a couple of doors. Its not easy to see in the picture as I have it clamped while I glue it! However when I took the clamp off today and the building is all crooked and the back piece was shorter than the front  :-[

Next I cut up some cardboard corrugated card (I found at a model shop) pieces and glued them on. I was going to paint the whole building but I decided to use the cardboard colours so I will weather it heavily and add rust and more shades. The patch work colours look good but it needs toning down. I also added some black No more gaps to the front for a stucco look. In the second picture you can see the door and windows made from the MDF frames. Next I will add a roof, drain pipes, signs and bits of debris.

Then I airbrushed a red-brown colour along the joins of the corrugated iron pieces and a few other random places. This gives me a good weathering base and hides some of the cardboard joins.

Meanwhile I moved onto making a roof. I used a piece of MDF and some cheap sandpaper (which makes a good looking tar roof). I bevelled the back edge of the roof and then glued the sandpaper on. I added a satellite dish and a few random pieces to represent a water tank thingee.

Also you can see more weathering in these pictures. I painted some grey areas on to the iron to represent peeled paint. I also highlighted the iron with a lighter shade of the base colour and then added more chipping with light grey and white colours.

Completed

I gave the whole model a thin brown wash and added some rust to the iron with some sponge. The roof was undercoated black and then painted grey. I sprayed the bottom of the model with a brown colour to look like dust and in a few places on the roof.
The signs are from a free download of WW2 signs and I used some which were the most appropriate. The were mounted on thin card and the edges touched up and weathered.

Also you see a couple of the finished cars and I will posts some piccies of those soon

Hope you guys enjoy this.

Cheers
Kieran
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:14:22 PM by 6mmfan »

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Re: Post Apocalypse project with Hotwheels and Outrider
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:19:30 AM »
Interesting looking project - lot's of good conversions there too
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
Good stuff.  :-*

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Re: Post Apocalypse project with Hotwheels and Outrider - with billboards
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
Thanks guys

Next I made some Billboards to use as decoration for game as they would play no part in a game (unless someone loses control of their car and crashes into one).

I used the MDF frames off some 4 Ground buildings and cut out the pieces that looked right. I also used the spare laser cut glue applier that come on the frames as a support.

The basic frames

Spraypainted

Next I glued them to some bases and spraypainted them with a base colour using cheap enamel paint. Meanwhile I tracked down some signs off the Internets and some from a WW2 set of signs I had downloaded.

Finished signs
I gave the models some subtle shading and highlighted the edges. Then I washed them and chipped them similar to the building above. Its probably too much rust for a dry desert environment but it looks good. :)

Nuka-Cola

Gas station sign

I want you...

Any question comments etc are welcome.

Cheers
Kieran

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 05:32:25 AM »
Looking damn spiffy there 6mm. I do have to say i think the ice cream van is my fav thus far.
I got a few cars lying about just begging to be plated up. And a few Jada's on their way. Wait, i got a box today. I know that has some Jada BM's inside waiting to get out and blast those PA punks away.

As for Outrider, you have seen the KS for the rules right?

Grimm

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 08:23:59 AM »
Very nice work. Cars and scenery look great!

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:15:43 PM »
As for Outrider, you have seen the KS for the rules right?

Grimm

Not until after I brought them. But that is okay since we are having fun playing them now. The only hassle was printing all the cards and tokens..

More soon with some finished cars

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 04:16:09 PM »
Signs look awesome.
I don't know, I think steel can still rust in the desert.  ??? I wouldn't have even thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 05:06:02 PM »
Signs look awesome.
I don't know, I think steel can still rust in the desert.  ??? I wouldn't have even thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Depends on your PA setting.
You need water to create rust. There's always some in the air, but not so much in the desert. Also, it sometimes rains in the desert or the temperatures can drop at night at such low levels with condensation as effect. The presence of salts will also speed up things.
So, contemporary desert : yes
PA 0% humidity desert : no formation of rust possible, although it could have been there from before the apocalypse.
Just my 2 cts.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 12:59:37 PM »
Outrider is set in the southern US states (mostly Texas) from what I have read on the background. Anyway it looks good on the buildings and vehicles so I will continue to use it. ::)

I hope to post some finished cars pictures in a day or so. The weathering powder went haywire with the varnish so there is some touchups to do.

Cheers
Kieran

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 10:17:56 PM »
Outrider is set in the southern US states (mostly Texas) from what I have read on the background. Anyway it looks good on the buildings and vehicles so I will continue to use it. ::)

I hope to post some finished cars pictures in a day or so. The weathering powder went haywire with the varnish so there is some touchups to do.

Cheers
Kieran
It change color?

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13:21 AM »
It change color?

No the powders either vanished or is very strong in some places but not in others

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 09:14:45 AM »
Cheers guys

Its a bit different from other periods and you can have some real fun with the models. My newer conversions are a becoming more wacky (although not these so much)

I've got some pictures of my latest conversions. The first batch I painted I am still trying to get the weathering right so I should have some pictures in a day or so

First is a Raider for my Outlaws based on a Chev El Camino. The missiles are from a FOW Katyusha, the hatch off a 1/72 Dragon HMMVEE, and the big skull is a GW one off a banner

Next is SUV (Trailblazer in Outrider terms) for the Republic of Texas Rangers. The door armour is off the same 1/72 HMMVEE, the barbwire is from the Airfix command post set and can any one guess where the vent on the roof is from?

And a Linebacker also for my Outlaws which a scratch built gun (with a stug mantel) and the roof part is off a hotwheels pickup. This is one of my favourites and it looks very cool.

Cheers
Kieran

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 02:31:45 PM »
When I painted hotwheels for Car Wars oh so many years ago I printed them with aluminum paint then did washes for the car color the aluminum showed through and gave a great paint peeling off look.

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 06:08:31 PM »
Great stuff! You're inspiring me to do some real work on my Scavvies' transports.