Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:49:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post Apocalypse project with Hotwheels and Outrider - Last vehicle 1st May  (Read 30064 times)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
Re: Post Apocalypse project with Hotwheels and Outrider updated 12/5/15
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2015, 12:59:35 AM »
Hi all

I finished another car

This one is a Police car "Linebacker"

This is a model that has recently been completed but it needed some final details such as adding decals and tidying up the weathering. Its a great little model and I tried to make it less rusty than the Outlaw cars. I had some difficulties with the weathering on this car and I think it was because of the black and white colours. The weathering either looked too much or too little.
The decals are from some Italeri kits. I had problems finding some large black numbers to use and these are actually the Italeri kit number printed on the decal sheet.

Cheers
Kieran

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Re: Post Apocalypse project with Hotwheels and Outrider updated 16/5/15
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2015, 01:15:09 AM »
Next I made some Chain link fences

Chain link fences are a popular terrain feature and I made these for my Post apoc games but with other periods in mind, so I tried to keep them generic. I made about 3ft of fences and I don't need that much for a typical game but I find it is always worth making more terrain than I need. In a Post apoc setting I can use them to section off parts of the table or surrounding a terrain feature eg a car wreckers, power station, secret base and so on.

The chain link fences were made from 3mm MDF wood, some 40mm long nails and some plastic flyscreen mesh. First I cut up the wooden bases and then countersunk a recess into the bottom of the bases where the posts would go. Next the nails were hammered through from the bottom  and I made sure they were flush with the base. The I put some PVA on the underneath of the base in the nail recess to help strengthen them, and once that was dry, I added some PVA on the top side around the base of the nail. Finally I gave the bottom of the base a light sand to flatten them. It was a bit of extra work but the nails (fence posts) should be pretty solid and durable (I tested this later by accidentally standing on a finished fence and it survived very well!)

Next I cut the ends of the nails and filed the end flat. Then the mesh was cut into strips and I went for a diagonal pattern for the mesh, using a steel rule and a sharp knife, which makes it easier to keep the diagonal pattern consistent.  The strips were glued onto the nails with super glue and I twisted some thin wire around the pole and the mesh to stop the mesh coming off.

After that the fences were sprayed paint. Next I drybrushed the fences grey and then added some orange and red-brown patches for rust. They I lightly drybrushed with grey again followed by a light grey drybrush, and finally a metallic silver drybrush on the posts.

Then the ground work on the bases was done and some flock and tufts added. The last steps was to add some signs, which were a mix of plastic-truct decals and WW2 signs I got off the internet. I mounted the signs on some white plasticard and weathered the edges

And here are some pictures of the finished fences and a Hotwheels cars for scale (the base add about 4mm to the height of the fence).

EDIT - I just added a close up of the fences

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:21:17 AM by 6mmfan »

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
Re: Post Apocalypse project with Hotwheels and Outrider updated 12/5/15
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2015, 01:47:31 AM »
Excellent models. :) I like the ram on the Police car, and your use of 40k weapons, they look good.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2015, 08:34:31 PM »
 8) Those are looking very good mate.  8)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2015, 09:24:13 PM »
Fences are excellent! Consider that idea stolen, thank you very much! ;)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 09:49:11 AM »
Hi all

I've been busy with other projects so these have been sitting on my painting desk for a few months waiting to be finished. Anyway I managed to finish off 3 more cars which were started about 3 months ago! See earlier in the thread for info on the detailing for each.

The one is a Raider for my Outlaws based on a Chev El Camino. It took a while to get the colours right but I am very happy with the faded red look.

Next is the SUV (Trailblazer in Outrider terms) for the Republic of Texas Rangers. The photos havent come out great and I can notice some parts where the varnish has gone white! But it is a good looking vehicle and pretty imposing.

And the last finished car is a Linebacker also for my Outlaws. The photo isnt very flattening and it looks much nicer "in the flesh". I went for a bright Hippy style colour scheme with this car which contrasts with the massive gun sticking out the front!

Cheers
Kieran

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 10:08:47 AM »
And also I have started on some new cars.

These are for a faction called the "Holy Rollers" and I went with a Christian Evangelist theme with some pretty extreme cars and decoration. They also favour older classic cars over newer vehicles.

Interceptor

A very cool model I had to buy when I saw it! It is meant to be a fast car so I added minimal armour and a couple of lighter Dark Eldar guns. And if the guns dont work then the big spiky cross can help to "do gods work".

Raider

A more normal car (I cant remember what the model was - maybe a Chev Impala) with some crosses from wood and sprues. It is very low slung so I aded soem protection to the wheels and couple of spares to the boot (trunk). I cut the spiky bit out of the front from some plasticard and the gun is a cut down 15mm WW2 Russian 45mm AT gun.

Police Car
And a traditional police car for the Republic of Texas force. This was an old Matchbox toy from when I was a kid and its a bit of a shame to convert it, but it was a bit banged up. The big launcher is a 1/72 AT launcher (maybe At-4 ATGW) and the rest of sprue parts are from a power station kitset, which had lots of fiddly pieces (I will finish this for this project soon hopefully).

Enjoy

Cheers
Kieran

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
 :-*

Fantastic builds, the rust you have painted looks perfect!  :-*  :-*

Those fences are awesome too!!

Cheers
Matt

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
The rusty wastelands paint jobs are excellent ans the holy rollers cars look fantastic!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Great sprue repurpose! :D
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Thanks everyone.

Yeah the big box of old sprues is coming in handy ;)

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Wow so much awesome!! Love all the new vehicles the raiders will be great. those fence's look sweet! Nice job dude

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Looking grand, esp. like the Holy Rollers.  8)

Offline mattblackgod

• Mad Scientist
  • Post Apocalyptic Nut Job
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
I am loving this thread.  Great models.  :-* :-*
Mattblackgod's world - Games and minis blog.

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
that blue raider is a lincoln continental i think.  great work, i'm liking your style of sprue usage and the painting is super too.