Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A look at One Hour Wargames via an AAR  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
A look at One Hour Wargames via an AAR
« on: April 19, 2015, 02:45:56 PM »
I have used a scenario from the book and ACW rules to have a closer look at the mechanics in action.

LINK - http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/1-hour-wargames-initial-look.html

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: A look at One Hour Wargames via an AAR
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 02:30:28 PM »
One hour wargames are good fun. I set one up yesterday for an encounter with the dunderheads. A hill dominated one corner of the table, a crossroads, the opposite. As I sat admiring mi' handiwork it put me in mind of Quatra Bra, so I decided to join in with my English Veterans. I drew the 95th, a RHA battery and a Brigade of four Infantry Battalions 1st and 2nd Foot Guards, 52nd Light Infantry and the Black Watch. The Dunderheads copped for three Battalions of Guard Grenadiers, two of skirmishers and a foot battery of Guard 12 pounders. Watching the dunderheads deploy is an education in incompetence that every budding recruit to our hobby should have the privilege of observing. Guns get deployed directly behind massed infantry so they're of no use at all. One Battalion forms line with the rest of the Brigade parked up behind wondering wot's happening next, the whole sorry mess inching forward as sprightly as their arthritic commanding occifers. Contrast this with the sweeping deployment of the opposition. I took the crossroads with a gun and the 95th, who then went sweeping forward to annoy the enemy. While the 95th tied down two battalions of the Guard and their attendant skirmishers, my Infantry brigade deployed flawlessly into line while on the march to the enemy hill. By the time the dunderheads had sorted out their traffic jam the 95th had worn down the enemy on the left and the killing volleys were at work on the right. I remembered His Grace was still sitting on the shelf and sent him galloping up the road shouting "Go on Maitland, they'll not stand!"... indeed, the hookey nosed micro manager was correct and all was swept before me. Looking at the wreck of their defeat one of the dunderheads noted they'd forgotten to deploy their Emperor into the fray. I assured them that the little man in the funny 'at had serious previous for deserting his soldiers... and we retired to the Occifer's Mess for a proper post mortem.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"