Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:06:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The journey of a rogue trader... (new with Imperial knight wardens !)  (Read 142939 times)

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: The journey of a rogue trader...
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 12:15:32 AM »
Phew! I read the thread title and thought it must be another thread about Tony Reidy and Defiance Games.

Nice work btw!

lol lol

Great stuff in this thread :)

Offline Asslessman

• Scientist
    • LEADPLAGUE
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 07:35:03 AM »
lol lol

Great stuff in this thread :)
In all honesty, I hd to google that to understand but I guess the fear was justified ^^.

A little change today as I'm bringing you non-fighting characters for my part of the 40k universe. I find NPCs add depth and value to a setting and I've always been a little sad about the "...there's only war" part of the post Rogue trader 40k motto...
Anyway, the roleplaying aspect of games is one I favour a lot and I felt like adding a couple of civilians (though I agree they're not your average Joe) to give an identity to me settings.

First of them is Darell "Douchebag" Roses, fan of Cheetor's famous Mushrööm Klöwds :

You can read a bit more about him in the associated BLOGPOST.
I've tried to link my work to Cheetor's because first of all I really admire what he does (and really like the person behind the work) but also because it tends to create something bigger than the sum of its parts when people go the same way. I could have just invented a fake group (there must be plenty in the 40k universe but I thought this would be better this way...

On top of Space metalheads, I find the 40k streets are desperately empty from love and passion. I have the remedy for that though. The remdy comes in the form of a pair of space hookers :

As you can see, they do not look excatly human but not excatly alien either. That's what I was looking for. I like the fact you could ask yourself if the red girl is a human with dyed skin or an alien with true natural red skin (there's only one way to find out I guess).
I'm planning on adding more in the future as they were a refreshing pause (there's something in painting girls...)

You can read a bit more about them (and listen to some Billy Idol) in the associated BLOGPOST...

ttfn

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »
Great stuff all around. Nice to see you reposting it here. :)

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »
All looking fantastic JB. Great minis.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 06:29:26 AM »
There is some wonderful stuff in this thread... particularly the Squats and the choices for the 'mixed' crews.

Keep it up... we need more :D!

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 07:33:13 AM »
Love the metal head bunches. I agree that sci-fi games look so much better with civilians. It's always a treat when someone makes civilians for any setting, but especially one like 40K.

Offline Asslessman

• Scientist
    • LEADPLAGUE
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
Glad you like them guys !

Civilians and NPCs are essential for me, Maybe it's the fact I really like a bit of roleplay in my games but they definitely add depth for me. I have a couple more hookers in the paintqueue and some ideas for new civilians with amongst them some of Axiom's excellent Colony 87 civilians.

Right now I can show you some Bounty hunters taken from the confrontation lore. They're Marauder Venators and pics of painted examples are rare as hen's teeth.

Most of you must know the only true illustration of them by John Blanche :

Here's a picture of them along Camilla Weis, my Rogue trader.

Many more pictures and background about them on THE BLOG
and more about Camilla HERE

I'm planning on adding a fair bunch more in due time (i.e. when i'll stop adding things at the top of existing paint queue)

Hope you like those.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »
You really have built up an impressive body of work over the last year or two Asslessman, so much to like.  The Venators and the Orks are my favourites so far, but the competition is fierce.

Im looking forward to the day that "Douchebag" Roses gets his cleavage signed by Steev Tylork  lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 10:37:59 AM »
Gorgeous paintwork.
 :-* :-*

And the obvious predecessors to the Cawdor gangers.
Very cool, and pretty rare, miniatures.
 8)

Offline Asslessman

• Scientist
    • LEADPLAGUE
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »
Well orks were the most unexpected fun I've had for a long time as I've never been a great orc/ork lover so I can say I'm eager to add a few of Diego's real soon. The venators were a dream from my youth made real so though on a totally other level, it was an absolute delight. Other bands are more projects that grew organically because of my collection so maybe that shows, I love them all that said. ^^

Im looking forward to the day that "Douchebag" Roses gets his cleavage signed by Steev Tylork  lol

When is BOYL again ? ;)

Gorgeous paintwork.
 :-* :-*

And the obvious predecessors to the Cawdor gangers.
Very cool, and pretty rare, miniatures.
 8)

Cheers, funny how those guys originated from red redemptionists in Laserburn to being cold bounty hunters in confrontation to then come back to being zealots in Necromunda...
I like the Confrontation embodment better, when everything is grim and fanatic, well, nothing is anymore.

Offline Asslessman

• Scientist
    • LEADPLAGUE
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »
If you remember the sensei from the first page, well, here's some company for him !

Accepting to try a speed painting challenge (meaning painting a single model in under an hour) I opted for a cyber samourai kindly donated by Cheetor/Sho3box

But you know Samourai best go in groups...

So there's still work to be done  ;)

My only advice would be : do NOT try to paint a model in under an hour, it's far too much stress, I mean waaaaaaay too much a hassle. I love models like other good things : with passion but care and sweetness, some things don't really need to be hurried you see... I did learn a couple of things in the process though.

You can read all about this on ZE BLOG

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 09:48:50 PM »
Really nice :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 09:56:53 PM »
An hour!
 :o

Bloody hell.
Seriously impressed with that lovely neat paintjob, especially considering the time constraints.
 8) 8)

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2015, 09:23:16 AM »
Your Rogue Trader stuff is fantastic, JB -- great figure choices plus really clean, characterful paintjobs. Your colour selections/schemes give the whole thing a kind of ... I don't want to say comic-booky, because that's not quite right ... feel. But bold and memorable.

Offline Asslessman

• Scientist
    • LEADPLAGUE
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »
Cheers, guys, if you're impressed by the result, you should have seen my hands shaking, I know I don't handle stress very efficiently but it was ridiculous at some point, hopefully I had the washes + hairdryer part to cool down...

@James Holloway : I don't mind about comic-booky, it is a very big influence of mine, be it US comics, french ones, 2000AD, mangas... all from various times and sources, so it's only natural if some of it shows in my painting !