Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:37:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Are WARMACHINE and HORDES bad words on these forums?  (Read 6754 times)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
Are WARMACHINE and HORDES bad words on these forums?
« on: October 07, 2008, 07:52:25 PM »
Hi all,

I never see these games mentioned here, and I'm wondering if it's because they are generally shunned.  I've been doing my best to expand into new types of gaming, but I have largish galleries for both Warmachine and Hordes on my site for those who are interested.

http://geektactica.blogspot.com/2008/09/cygnar-gallery.html

http://geektactica.blogspot.com/2008/09/trollblood-gallery.html

If there's a general feeling of animosity towards the games or their models, my apologies in advance.

JET

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Are WARMACHINE and HORDES bad words on these forums?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »
Boy i would hope not. Please tell me it aint so? :-(

With that said, you got some mad painting skills there my friend. I cant condone your choice for WM, as i am an avid Menoth player and now i must hate you, still some wicked kool painting going on. :-)

Grimm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:02:44 PM by Grimmnar »

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:32:46 PM »
If there's a general feeling of animosity towards the games or their models, my apologies in advance.
I don't think their is animosity toward any game. It's a fairly open-minded bunch around here. There are some games that are not actively discussed simply because people who want to talk about them usually go where they have dedicated forums.

That being said, I have a 750pt Warmachine pirate force. I didn't paint a single model for it since I got them just to play with the local group.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:46:41 PM »
Post up whatever you have and never be afraid to.

Everyones hobby is different and its awesome to see what people like.

I love warmachine and have more Menoth than i can store! Definately my favorite wargame.
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »
I don't think they're bad words. They're just more like non-issues because no one ever brings them up (presumably because of the dedicated forums thing). The best way to change that is to bring them up yourself, as you've done rather admirably with those galleries of yours. Great paintjobs!
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:35:19 PM »
Those minis are crackingly painted . The finish is so smooth good stuff

Offline Danny the Chimp

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 12:17:56 AM »
While I havent a clue about the games, I'm not a gamer, or a decent painter.... But.

I really like your painting, they look fantastic, love the natural colours you've brought out on them!
He comes, he comes, Zalgo!

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 12:46:30 AM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback.  I realize that there are various forums dedicated strictly to many of the mainstream games, but frankly, I find that there are a high ratio of immature posters and idiots, and I don't enjoy sifting through their brainless commentary.  o_o

The lead adventure forum, on the other had, is a place that I've always found to be approachable and welcoming.  Traffic-wise it seems to sacrifice quantity for quality, and I'm fine with that.

As for my Privateer Press Collection, I only have four models left to paint, and although I'll be playing the game regularly, I will be taking a break from painting the boys in blue.  When I finish them up, I'll post my final 10 or so models and let you guys know. 

(And then, FINALLY, I'll be ready to start painting my Old West buildings and models.  It's getting really hard to maintain self-control)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 05:53:10 AM »
I hope not - my very first post to the "What I finished in September" was full of them. Privateers and Cryx, baby.

I think that this group of forums just isn't too focused on any one game - and so we lack the fanatics who are copnstantly shoveling their game pieces *cough cough GW cough* in our faces. While you do see representation of the major games - Warhammer, Warmachine, Battletech, Confrontation, etc - it isn't overbearing.

Which is just the way I like it. I just wish there were more people here in the Portland area of Oregon USA that played VSF, and the Pulp miniature games, and such. They are too focused on the tournament style 600lb gorillas of GW and Privateer.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:39:21 AM »
Very nice. I like your painting style, do you use a lot of ink washes?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 10:26:52 AM »
I also play Cygnar (2000 pts) and trollbloods (800 pts), although I have not played much lately. They are not as well painted as yours. I am currently working on my small western town.  8)

TT.
...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 11:07:15 AM »
Funny that we are both working on small western towns and have the same armies.  spooky.

I don't really use any ink washes, except for early on in my Cygnar painting.  I had difficulty making the blue layers blend on the first models and units (The Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Unit).  To remedy this, I used to water down my darkest blue and glaze the blue parts to blend them together. Other than that, most of the models are good old fashioned layered highlights and shading.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »
I don't know why you would assume there is bad feeling toward a game because of an absence of comment upon it. Much more likely to be bad feeling if there are lots of posts slagging it off.

All it means is that it is not hugely popular among the members, which is not the same thing at all as there being animosity towards it. Personally speaking, it's only on the vague edges of my gaming consciousness. I'm not at all familiar with it.

Your painted figures are lovely, though. So please don't hesitate to post more pictures when you have them.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 11:24:02 AM »
with an excelent paint job like that, you can even post monopoly hotels!  lol
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 11:48:13 AM »
They're great games and I have to agree, I don't really have any interest in their forums either. For the same reasons. The only Warmachine/Hordes site I pay any attention to is this one (and I don't look on their forums either):

http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/

As for my forces, I too am a Menoth player, although I also have a Merc force which incorporates a few Privateer bits and pieces.
So many projects..... so little time.......