Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Virgina Provincial test figure  (Read 3475 times)

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
Virgina Provincial test figure
« on: April 29, 2015, 11:34:03 PM »
I got a few packs of these Galloping Major provincials from Loyalhanna Outpost's sale a few months ago and painted my first one.  He's painted as a Virginia Regiment based some Osprey plates.   I'm looking for some feed back on the uniform.   If you think the paint looks accurate.   Right off I know I messed up on the canteen.  I painted it metal when I think now I should be wooden.  For the rest of the miniatures I'll probally switch up the color of the leggings, pants, and straps.  Just keep the red shirt and blue coat.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Virgina Provincial test figure
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 08:23:50 AM »
He looks good to me. :)

I really like the GM provincials, I think they are my favourites of Lance's F&IW sculpts so far.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 09:08:31 AM »
Nicely done, I will be getting a unit of these together when I've got a bit of space on my painting table.

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
He looks good to me. :)

I really like the GM provincials, I think they are my favourites of Lance's F&IW sculpts so far.

Agreed, you have done a good job there. Aren't they great miniatures to paint.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 07:12:13 PM »
Thanks for the kind words about the figures gents  :)

RC Robert, that's a lovely paint job.
Actually, the canteen is meant to be the tin 'kidney' type, so you weren't wrong. I've painted a couple of them as Virginia Regt myself, the only noticeable differences are that I gave mine a buff leather instead of white musket sling and cartridge box strap, and I decided to go for brown instead of white gaiters, but as I've seen both depicted, so a matter of choice. The main reason I went for brown instead of white was for extra contrast as I had gone for white leggings on my New Jersey Privincials.

Here's one of the ones I painted:

A lot of similarity I would say. I'm looking forward to seeing more of yours  8)

Cheers,
Lance
www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 02:47:06 AM »
I like your brushwork.

Perhaps your instincts served you well in painting the canteen or water flask a metallic tint.

Perhaps the sculptor meant it to be 'tin-ware' or at least not wooden.

Then, maybe my sights are off a bit.

I still enjoy your painting.

Best,
Sendak
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 03:38:44 AM »
Thx for the kind compliments on the miniature.  And I'm glad i got the canteen right after all.   

Is the blue and red coat fairly common for the colonials in the FIW ?  The only references I've found are the osprey plates of Virginians in the red and blue and a New Yorker in a green coat.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 06:40:32 AM »
Perhaps the sculptor meant it to be 'tin-ware' or at least not wooden.

Then, maybe my sights are off a bit.

I did  :D
And no, Sendak, your sights are spot on  8)

BTW: Forgot to say, while I've painted mine plain tin, as in later periods some units covered them in cloth.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:42:28 AM by Galloping Major »

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 07:01:05 AM »
Thx for the kind compliments on the miniature.  And I'm glad i got the canteen right after all.  

Is the blue and red coat fairly common for the colonials in the FIW ?  The only references I've found are the osprey plates of Virginians in the red and blue and a New Yorker in a green coat.

A complicated subject on which I have gathered a lot of information and really should get round to putting together as a guide.
The bue and red combination was very popular in the various colonies and was pretty much the most desired objective, though many never got there. New Jersey was a prime example, differeing from the Virginians' uniform in the colour of hat tape (see below), the "Jersey Blues" were very heavily engaged during the war including at Fort William Henry. Some colonies never even issued uniforms and their soldiers took the field in their work clothes - (use our Anglo-American militia packs to represent these), while NY for instance raised different units including some mention of green and "drab" at different times. Pennsylvania had green coats (one unit faced red, the other not) red waistcoats and buckskin breeches. I'll get a picture uploaded later.

I've put quite a lot of information up in an album on our facebook page, check out and like on Galloping Major Ltd Wargames if you're on facebook.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 07:26:24 AM »
I'll give this one a try for a Pennsylvania Provincial:

Sorry it came out so large  lol

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:28:46 AM by Galloping Major »

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 02:41:03 AM »
Tip o' the hat to Galloping Major for your miniature works of art.

Regards,
Sendak

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 06:18:39 AM »
[...] Some colonies never even issued uniforms and their soldiers took the field in their work clothes - (use our Anglo-American militia packs to represent these) [...]

Thanks for the reference pics Major.   I have your militia firing line #1 pack.   I plan on getting the militia #2 and militia leader packs eventually.   First I need to finish up these guys and the mohawks and rangers I got from Loyalhanna.