Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:25:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thirty Years War rules  (Read 6339 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Thirty Years War rules
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »
Darrell. Key point for me as well. For example, which set of rules best captures and the look and feel of the wonderful early period Swedish Brigade (the inverted 'T' job). Haven't found a set yet that does and yet it was defining and game changing formation between 1632-34
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 07:20:07 AM »
Darrell. Key point for me as well. For example, which set of rules best captures and the look and feel of the wonderful early period Swedish Brigade (the inverted 'T' job). Haven't found a set yet that does and yet it was defining and game changing formation between 1632-34

I wonder if 1644 might not be a bad idea? with a bit of tweaking? I had the rule set but at the Edinburgh Club, SESWC, we were playing a lot of Very Civil Actions by the Perfect Captain which are available as a free download (we made a good donation to a charity as they ask). They had a great feel for the ECW so I wonder if they could be changed to suit the TYW? Caliver are now selling 1644 for a hefty sum but i'm sure that if you ask around that someone you know will have a copy sitting on a dusty shelf. Possibly worth a look at both rules- i'd be very interested in anything you come up with so if my suggestions bear fruit then please post here and let me in on the secrets  :).

Hope that is of some help?

Darrell.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »
I think they have captured the feel quite well, despite being fairly generic for the whole pike and shot period.  The ability to adjust the unit characteristics allows them to be tailored to either the originals or to capture the difference between different types of cavalry (i.e. those trained to charge at a gallop and the rather more stately charge at a trot).  Give them a try.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 03:21:53 PM »
PerfectCaptain Very Civile Actions see http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/request.html its free colourful and seems to promise a good game (donation to a charity idea is sweet).

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 04:47:06 PM »
PerfectCaptain Very Civile Actions see http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/request.html its free colourful and seems to promise a good game (donation to a charity idea is sweet).

Ahem!  lol lol

we were playing a lot of Very Civil Actions by the Perfect Captain which are available as a free download (we made a good donation to a charity as they ask). They had a great feel for the ECW so I wonder if they could be changed to suit the TYW?.

Great minds and all that  lol

Darrell.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 08:15:33 PM »
Hi Steve

Sadly, like you, I have yet to find asset of rules that correctly portrays the Swedish Battalia correctly with a respectable number of figures. I think the only real option is to write them. Happy to help/play test if required. Just finished running (well, ambling) up and down the Queen's Sconce all weekend so quite enfused to get back to some decent C17th wargaming!  :D

Regards

Ian
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 08:27:58 PM »
Hi Steve

Sadly, like you, I have yet to find asset of rules that correctly portrays the Swedish Battalia correctly with a respectable number of figures. I think the only real option is to write them. Happy to help/play test if required. Just finished running (well, ambling) up and down the Queen's Sconce all weekend so quite enfused to get back to some decent C17th wargaming!  :D

Regards

Ian

lol lol lol

Good man.  Will bear that in mind.  They need to be offensively advantaged, and have strong firepower and (possibly) shock effect.  Will ponder.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 09:03:15 PM »
Ok - here if/when needed.