Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686451
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pedro Cantor needs you  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Scalene

• Student
Pedro Cantor needs you
« on: May 04, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »
Posted this on the Oldhammer forum yesterday, I thought I'd cross post here to drum up a bit more interest. It's going to take a while to put this together, so I'll probably start recruiting in earnest in August.

----------------------------

Today I was struck by a bolt of inspiration. I was digging around and unearthed the Citadel card ruin (famously featured in Battle of the Farm), and I thought about a few things:
1) The attack on New Rynn City (featuring Jadeberry Hill) is a great symbol of the early Rogue Trader years
2) Forum members are mostly very spread out and struggle to find a good game
3) Maybe this could be combined with the idea that "Lindybeige" had last year for Operation Crossfire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOrjGT_u418) which looked fantastic

Bringing all those things together, I'd like to organise an event where lots of separate games are played simultaneously as part of a single campaign. We pick a single day, and organise as many games as possible to occur on that day in remote locations. There is a single overall commander for each side, and the players can contact them, in real time, to report on their progress and to request reinforcements or support. The commanders will have to balance the various objectives and the progress reports that they are getting and commit their limited reserves to assist whichever battle seems the most important. As the scenario progresses, models may move off one table and move on to a different table somewhere else.

As Lindybeige explained in a later video, this is a hell of a thing to co-ordinate, but I'm planning to put some web pages together to take much of the administrative load, and I think it's all very possible. I'm imagining a scenario in which the Orks try to break through at a number of separate battlefields, and the results of these will influence a slightly later round of battles on the same day in which their starting forces will be determined by the outcome of the first round of battles. There would be lots of fog-of-war, lots of random complications and all the narrative goodness which we Oldhammerers like. In addition you get to play a battle while being part of a much larger context in which all sorts of things might be happening while your own battle is going on.

So - the first thing to make this happen is that I need to recruit enough people to make this worth doing. I'm thinking at least 7 groups of at least two people, although the odd person on their own would be OK, because the overall commanders won't need anyone else there; they will just direct the battle from their remote location. Is anybody up for this? I'm thinking it would be a Saturday or Sunday in the autumn, with the main battles taking place in the afternoon UK time, handing over to a couple of American battles which would start in the morning their time.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
Re: Pedro Cantor needs you
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »
A tempting idea! I always liked the idea of linked campaigns, although the logistics were always a challenge. And I *do* have a crapload of RT Orks ...

Offline Scalene

• Student
Re: Pedro Cantor needs you
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:02:42 PM »
As well as starting to work up the scenario and the website to co-ordinate the game, we've had a test battle to see how one might play. We timed it fairly carefully and tried out some support rules too. This is set at the same sort of time as Jadeberry Hill, with orks trying to break through at another point into the city.

There's a full battle report here, with lots of pictures.

http://www.warfactory.co.uk/wp/2015/06/01/highway-to-new-rynn-city/