Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686590
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Dark Age Adventures: Basing Updated 29th May  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Paint Pig

• Librarian
  • one size fits all
    • Paint Pig
My Dark Age Adventures: Basing Updated 29th May
« on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:58 AM »
I've been repainting some 2nd hand figures and have written a short monologue on my trials and some tips for repainting without stripping the figures back to metal.

http://paintpigdave.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/dark-ages-fun-re-painting-2nd-hand.html

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:04:43 AM by Paint Pig »
must dash, people to be, places to free
Dave

slowly over a low flame
MY FACE BOOK A Small Matter

Offline Paint Pig

• Librarian
  • one size fits all
    • Paint Pig
Re: My Dark Age Adventures: repainting Updated 9th May
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »
Project is moving slowly, but it is moving.

Managed to get my javelin armed skirmishers onto bases and started flocking.

Offline Paint Pig

• Librarian
  • one size fits all
    • Paint Pig
Re: My Dark Age Adventures: repainting Updated 19th May
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »
Little bit more painting, . I hope to get some more time on these figures rather than the odd hour in the wee small hours, it is usually far too late to paint and my mind wanders and eyes cant focus. The project is grinding on at a snails pace grrrr.

Command group as purchased

The converted opportunity marker (impetus) figure

....based and grubbied up the shield and cloak with a bit of mud plus some damage on the shield

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:13:52 PM by Paint Pig »

Offline Paint Pig

• Librarian
  • one size fits all
    • Paint Pig
Re: My Dark Age Adventures: repainting Updated 19th May
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:56:31 AM »
Just finished a bit of a write up on my Latest additions, mostly hot air but some of you might be interested. lol
http://paintpigdave.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/dark-ages-fun-feeling-all-anglo-saxy.html

Offline Paint Pig

• Librarian
  • one size fits all
    • Paint Pig
Re: My Dark Age Adventures: Basing Updated 29th May
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »
Finally finished playing around with the base vegetation, I could muck around for ages trying out different things when it comes to basing just seem to fritter away hours decorating.... must be my female gene, there's only one so I should track it down and put it in a jar.  :?

Anyway I'm satisfied with this look, so that is the way it will stay, now to get the other base done and get back on track.

Oh and I have started on more conversions, pretty photo heavy so I will just post a link this time round.

http://paintpigdave.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/dark-age-fun-basing-and-conversions.html

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:23:08 AM by Paint Pig »

Offline Paint Pig

• Librarian
  • one size fits all
    • Paint Pig
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 07:55:44 AM »
I have been using wood putty for the bases, the material is a different mix to the older stuff. The older putties had timber dust as part of the filler while these seem to use the same material that is in pollyfiller or plaster filler, they may still contain timber material as part of the filler but it must be very fine. I adheres well to mdf bases and is pretty strong once dry (see above) and keeps it's colour very well. the older wood filler I was using became very pale once properly dry

[/URL]

Colours are Jarrah on the left and Rbony on the right (I used ebony on the bases above) however there are about 6 colours in the range, these are my favourites. I have smoothed one section of both using a bit of water but it isn't really needed unless your in a dry or hot climate.

After I have run the hair dryer over it, it obviously goes a bit mat but not much change in the colour value. I have applied a small amount of satin varnish to a small section of each to gauge what a water effect might appear as.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 05:17:11 AM »
Ah, that's geat of you to go to the trouble of posting up these pics.... I really see what you mean about the colours, if I used one one these it would make it easy for the application of PVA in a more accurate manner whilst cutting out the black wash stage, which in the long run would save me a lot of time.....

Looks like i'm going to have to do another Step-by Step  lol

Thanks- appreciated.
Darrell.

I have been using wood putty for the bases, the material is a different mix to the older stuff. The older putties had timber dust as part of the filler while these seem to use the same material that is in pollyfiller or plaster filler, they may still contain timber material as part of the filler but it must be very fine. I adheres well to mdf bases and is pretty strong once dry (see above) and keeps it's colour very well. the older wood filler I was using became very pale once properly dry

[/URL]

Colours are Jarrah on the left and Rbony on the right (I used ebony on the bases above) however there are about 6 colours in the range, these are my favourites. I have smoothed one section of both using a bit of water but it isn't really needed unless your in a dry or hot climate.

After I have run the hair dryer over it, it obviously goes a bit mat but not much change in the colour value. I have applied a small amount of satin varnish to a small section of each to gauge what a water effect might appear as.

Offline Paint Pig

• Librarian
  • one size fits all
    • Paint Pig
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 05:47:40 AM »
Your welcome Darrell, there are obviously the yellowy type of colours baltic pine, ash, etc. but I'm hooked on the Ebony right now. I can add stone for rocks, bits of twig for trees (you obviously know the drill) and sprinkle with sand (pat down ever so lightly) while it is still wet let it dry and with the black already in place  just get cracking on. I'm as happy as a paintpig in muck with it. You shouldn't have any trouble finding the equivalent there ol'boy.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 06:02:12 AM »
Your welcome Darrell, there are obviously the yellowy type of colours baltic pine, ash, etc. but I'm hooked on the Ebony right now. I can add stone for rocks, bits of twig for trees (you obviously know the drill) and sprinkle with sand (pat down ever so lightly) while it is still wet let it dry and with the black already in place  just get cracking on. I'm as happy as a paintpig in muck with it. You shouldn't have any trouble finding the equivalent there ol'boy.

It looks like really useful stuff (and will save so much time in the long run); next time I do the food shopping i'll be popping into the hardware store nearby  8).

Darrell.