Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:58:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686553
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Front rank 100yw  (Read 6549 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Front rank 100yw
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »
The only reason I haven't added them to my current projects (besides already being awash in models) is that they are very premium priced and there is no way I would escape an order without spending several hundred USDs.

I see your point Fred but I disagree about the pricing. It's the overheads really,. to start a miniature company from scratch seeking out the best mould makers etc and not doing the castings ones self can really add to the costs of the miniatures. Of course you've got to add to that the cost of paying the sculptors etc and the costs start to rocket. Then add to that the costs of the metal......

Basically, you pay for what you get. A company that casts their own models is at a financial advantage to one that does not. The same goes for the making of both master production moulds. It does not work out anywhere near as cheep to do this for ones self. Often, I think, when we think of the price one pays for metal mini's we simply don't take these into account. Claymore Castings is also one of those companies that does not run their production moulds into the ground as some miniature companies have been known to do.

Darrell.

Offline le bon roi rene

• Bookworm
  • "Me and _my_ army! Kachunga!"
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
Don't get the wrong idea, Darrell. I'm not busting on them. (but they are premium priced, at least for someone buying from the US). As niche as our hobby is, I don't complain about cottage industry pricing. It is IMHO, a luxury good run by very small operations where no one is getting rich.

I'm just saying that the minute I place an order with them, several hundred dollars would be going on my credit card. lol

Cheers,
Fred

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 05:39:53 AM »
Don't get the wrong idea, Darrell. I'm not busting on them. (but they are premium priced, at least for someone buying from the US). As niche as our hobby is, I don't complain about cottage industry pricing. It is IMHO, a luxury good run by very small operations where no one is getting rich.

I know that Fred. I wasn't baiting you- just merely disagreeing. i suppose it's easy for me to say what I did as I sometimes receive a few free mini's (not as a bribe to promote them[!!]- I'm friends with both the owners of the company).Also, wen i order the postage works out a lot cheaper ten ordering from the ASA.

I'm just saying that the minute I place an order with them, several hundred dollars would be going on my credit card. lol

Funnily enough, I feel the same way about Brigade Games, they have a lot of stuff that I would dearly love to order, the only thing that's held me back are the potential custom costs  :-[.

I suppose that when it comes to buying an army, it's going to cost a lot of money- especially if US customs decides to add duty.

Darrell.

Offline Koroni2001

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 12:37:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for your views and comments!
Will have a look at claymore castings also!