Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:50:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WHFB 2nd Edition Pre Slotta Chaos Army - C35 Warriors of Chaos  (Read 8602 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Well, this will expose the age of some of our members, if you are familiar with these classic Citadel Miniatures sculpts  lol

I have a large pre slotta collection of Citadel Chaos and have now begun the task of painting an army out of them  :)

First up are the dreaded Warriors of Chaos, even in 2nd Edition these chaps packed a punch! They will form the vanguard of the main assault (well, all troops in a Chaos army hit hard, but these hit hardest!), and as the rules only allow a single unit of 10 (you may choose more as single Hero's to lead other units though) I thought that was a nice small enough number to kick off my project.

I really like the background given to Chaos in 2nd and 3rd Edition, as it describes the Warriors and Marauders as bands of men whom raid from the North, so I wanted them to look like individuals whom had grouped together for a raid. No garish colours as that didn't kick in until the era of Chaos Warbands ala Slaves to Darkness etc era. So I chose to use muted tones, mainly military colours from Vallejos Model Colour range and then add some flashes of colour through tinted armour, shields and weapons, so enough talking, here's some pictures  :)

This one is still in WIP stage, as I still need to add further layers to the cloak, I wanted the Demon Shield to have the appearance of a shifting mass, so I layered on several thin washes over a Steel base coat:

A mighty Warrior of Chaos raised from the dead to join the fray once more  >:(

I love this sculpt! The Spider armour is brilliant!

Another great sculpt! The face is truly gruesome! Again, I went for a coloured layering style over a Steel base coat on the shield:

Here's the next 3 in the painting que, including Elric, the units leader (middle model):

Finally, a group shot:

This is just the start of a large army that includes Runequest Broo, Chaos Goblins, Beastmen Raider Cavalry, C01 Chaos Fighters (Chaos Marauders) and Chaos Hounds!

Cheers

Gary
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: WHFB 2nd Edition Pre Slotta Chaos Army - C35 Warriors of Chaos
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:08:33 PM »
Nice ! I really like the guy with the red cloak!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:31:07 PM »
Brilliant!
 :-* :-*

I have fond memories of the earlier Chaos Warriors where every one of them felt like a real individual.
They always make me think of the warriors from Conan.
Proper Northern raiders.
 8) 8)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 11:20:48 PM »
That Elric, I'd kill for that one  >:D.
Nice pj's on some great old models. Memory Lane ftw!
Leadhead

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 11:22:57 PM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Nice

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
    • The Shire and everything after
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »
Some excellent old minis there.  Citadel really did make some great figures.  Such a shame they got bought up.
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »
I am liking these guys very much. Some people have a knack for matching their painting to vintage miniatures and you are certainly amongst that select few. The rusty armour and glowing eyes are just a few of the details that are getting me excited. Damn nice!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:20:56 PM »
Wow! Those pictures brought back some great memories. Thanks for sharing your wonderful figures and lovely paint jobs.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 08:01:49 PM »
Thanks for all the comments chaps  :) Happy to have brought back some fond memories with these! I got in to the Hobby circa '88 so these models were 'old' by that stage  lol lol lol lol lol

But I must confess, through nostalgia tinted glasses, I am loving my pre slotta chaos models even more than the slotta releases! They just ooze a charm and creative freedom that is hard to match!

OK, Warrior 7 is finished and number 8 has its base colours done:

Thinking over what colour tint I should give this chaps armour...... I have a fluro orange from Vallejo that I'm mulling over....... once its thinned down and reworked over with Steel, it should look quite vibrant, lets see!

Basing is also a point I need to nail down, I'm heading in the direction of some form of Tundra, as these Warriors would form part of a raiding army sweeping from the frozen north.

I hope you like the latest instalment of memories  ;)

Cheers

Gary

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 08:06:12 PM »
Not a progression update in terms of painted models, but I have been working on my camera, trying different settings and I'm sure you'll agree that this shot is an improvement  ;)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 11:42:16 PM »
Great looking stuff. I love the old sculpts.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 10:34:59 AM »
Alright, here we go! I was on a painting roll so couldn't stop to take pictures until now! All 10 are now completed!

This one the lads call the 'Butcher' - he is fond of chopping up his enemies with his big cleaver......

Model number 9

The units leader, a dreaded Knight of Chaos - Elric.....

A group shot of the unit:

For the bases I will look at Artic Tundra as a reference.

I will re photograph the earlier models once I have finished the bases off.

I hope you like the models!

PS: Any advice of the best size for an image so it fits 'on screen' so you dont have to scroll down to see the whole model?

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »
It's interesting to look over your figure selection: I'd never seen most of the fellows you are painting, so I owe you thanks on that alone. I think my favourite of the bunch may be Elric. Excellent work!

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 03:27:30 PM »
It's interesting to look over your figure selection: I'd never seen most of the fellows you are painting, so I owe you thanks on that alone. I think my favourite of the bunch may be Elric. Excellent work!

Thank you! Elric was the most enjoyable to paint! I'm sure you'll see more unknown treasures as the army progresses as it will contain only pre slotta models from the early 80's  :D

Cheers

Gary

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »
So, the unit is now finished and all based!

I tried a few different base options, such as an Artic Tundra, a Snow scape.... but they just didn't sit well with the models. The look I went for in the end was a Volcanic Rock landscape, inspiration was drawn from this image:

Here's the unit together:

Now the individual models:

I added a few small details to the base, such as the obligatory skulls, some oversized brightly coloured snails and a venomous looking flower to add some flavour to the blackish bases.

I hope you enjoyed the progression of the unit and keep an eye out soon for the next unit in the Army  ;)

Cheers

Gary