Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:30:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WHFB 2nd Edition Pre Slotta Chaos Army - C35 Warriors of Chaos  (Read 8642 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: WHFB 2nd Edition Pre Slotta Chaos Army - C35 Warriors of Chaos
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »
Good choice on the bases! I love the shot of them arrayed en masse. I think the dark volcanic bases work very well with the disparate colours of the troops. And those disparate colours are exactly as they should be, given that these are warriors of chaos. The old Citadel chaos warriors and beastmen are fantastic precisely because they are so varied.

The snails and flowers are very good touch. I also love the armour on the Elric lookalike - that's a brilliant effect.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 10:31:38 AM »
Good choice on the bases! I love the shot of them arrayed en masse. I think the dark volcanic bases work very well with the disparate colours of the troops. And those disparate colours are exactly as they should be, given that these are warriors of chaos. The old Citadel chaos warriors and beastmen are fantastic precisely because they are so varied.

The snails and flowers are very good touch. I also love the armour on the Elric lookalike - that's a brilliant effect.

Thanks very much!

I tried a few different scenic themes, but the volcanic rock was by far the best looking. The old 'C' series of pre slotta Chaos Warriors are fabulous sculpts, coupled with the background given to them of being 'bands of individuals raiding' gives the painter free scope to individualise them, they are each in turn a Champion of Chaos, so they should not look uniformed.

The armour of Elric was fun to paint, it's a burnished green, which was achieved by:

1: Base coat of mid grey
2: Two thin layers of Vallejo Model Air STEEL
3: Two washes of Vallejo Game Colour LIME GREEN
4: Four washes of Games Workshops' NULN Oil
5: Recesses and shadowed areas were then filled in with Vallejo Game Colour BLACK INK

Not overly complicated, but some patience is required and there's a lot of washes, so the drying times in between will of course be longer.

More vintage Chaos models will follow soon as I begin work on the next unit in the army  :)

Cheers

Gary
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline jprp

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
You`re not that old if you can still bear to paint eyes!
Any chance of an update?
I would like to see mounted beastmen even in bare metal.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 05:07:54 PM »
You`re not that old if you can still bear to paint eyes!
Any chance of an update?
I would like to see mounted beastmen even in bare metal.

Hello!

I was planning on reviving this thread early next year as I plan to re paint the C35 Chaos Warriors and then begin on the rest of the army.....!

Anyway here's a bare metal shot of the 20 strong unit of Beastmen Raider Cavalry including a Sorcerer and a Chaos Champion mounted on a C29 Culchan  :)

It's a big project, but a complete pre slotta Chaos Army is going to be fun to paint!

Cheers

Offline jprp

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »
Thanks for the pic`,i will be using it as inspiration for conversions at some point. I actually have one of those riders that i got in a job lot but will not be paying e-bay prices to acquire any more.
Will you be bringing the finished army to BOYL at some point?

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »
Thanks for the pic`,i will be using it as inspiration for conversions at some point. I actually have one of those riders that i got in a job lot but will not be paying e-bay prices to acquire any more.
Will you be bringing the finished army to BOYL at some point?

BOYL is the dream, yes! Still pondering how best to get nigh on 100+ models from Germany to the UK with insurance for the show though, but it will not unfortunately be finished any time soon!!!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 06:45:37 PM »
Anyway here's a bare metal shot of the 20 strong unit of Beastmen Raider Cavalry including a Sorcerer and a Chaos Champion mounted on a C29 Culchan  :)

Amazing!
 8) 8)

Offline jprp

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »
BOYL is the dream, yes! Still pondering how best to get nigh on 100+ models from Germany to the UK with insurance for the show though, but it will not unfortunately be finished any time soon!!!

Is there no Euro BOYL then?

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »
Amazing!
 8) 8)

Thanks Paul, took me a few minutes and a couple of quid to get all those  ;)

Is there no Euro BOYL then?

No, it's run by the good chaps behind the Oldhammer Forum and is pure UK Old School gaming heaven  :) One day I shall attend!

Offline jprp

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 04:19:07 PM »
Thanks Paul, took me a few minutes and a couple of quid to get all those  ;)

No, it's run by the good chaps behind the Oldhammer Forum and is pure UK Old School gaming heaven  :) One day I shall attend!

I have attended the last few UK ones but there is now an American one and an Australian one so i assumed there would be a mainland Europe event, looks like it`s down to you to get one started!