Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:56:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking For -A Wooden Tube/Cylinder 7cm in diameter?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
Looking For -A Wooden Tube/Cylinder 7cm in diameter?
« on: May 09, 2015, 04:14:21 PM »
The title says in all as looking through so old boxes of bits I've come across 2 resin "Boring Machine" drill fronts that I asked Curtis from Ramshackle games to cast up for me a few years ago for a VSF project that's sat in a box for too long...
The problem is that I've never come across anything with the "right" diameter to use for the main body (or if I have I've not had the chance to pick it up) not to bothered as to the length as anything too short can be added to and too long hopefully shortened.
The idea has always been a VSF style "mole machine" and after purchasing the Ironclad Miniatures "Tunnelling Machine" I would like it to tie in with that look.
So has anyone in the UK come across anything available, hopefully in wood as I quite like the look of wooden barrels with the iron hoops or the wood cladding on some early boilers plus wood may make it easier to keep to the "look" with the wheels/tracks recessed into the body.
Any ideas :)
gan canny kidder!

Steve63

Re: Looking For -A Wooden Tube/Cylinder 7cm in diameter?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 04:26:26 PM »
Plastic rainwater down pipe is 68mm

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 05:38:11 PM »
Perhabs some craft/arts or architect store has something like this... And there's always eBay where you can find the weirdest things ;)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »
Plastic rainwater down pipe is 68mm

Cardboard tubing might be easier to work.
You can get some quite thick tubes in cloth shops, should be possible to scribe planking/grain on the outside, and cardboard tubes can be picked up free, if you find the right cloth shop.

Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 09:39:52 PM »
I was also going to suggest cardboard tubing - try carpet or vinyl flooring inserts. You should be able to pick one up at any carpet outlet.

Tony

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 08:18:05 AM »
Its looking like the cardboards the way to go and I don't know why I didn't think of it maybe because all I tend to come across are the tube uses for mail post packaging but there are a few Carpet shops dotted around here, for the planking I'm sure I've got some place mats made from thin wood slats (which allow you to roll them up or fold them) bit of the hot glue gun. that's hopefully going to give the "look" that I'm going for.
But as there is a Arts store in Newcastle I may try to see if anything crops up.

thanks folks

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 10:08:35 AM »
You can make your own cardboard tube if you find a cylindrical object of slightly smaller diameter than your finished size. Use thinner cereal box cardboard cut to the length you want for your finished tube. Check to see where to start applying the PVA glue, add a nice even coat where the cardboard overlaps and wrap the cardboard around your cyclinder master.  Hold together with rubber bands until dry -  I find more rubber bands than are looser work better than a few that are tight; does not leave indents in the cardboard.

• You can add several layers of cardboard to get the thickness and strength you want. The thicker the stronger it is
  • The final layer can be scribed with the plank pattern you want using a ball point pen
  • The final edge can be sanded down to blend it in with some fine sandpaper to make it seamless
  • The trick is the cardboard has a natural direction it wants to bend. Flex it in both directions and it will be quite evident.

I've made cylinders and oval tubes too using this method
Can't wait to see your machine.