Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:37:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690761
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LotR Scenario report  (Read 6474 times)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
LotR Scenario report
« on: October 11, 2008, 12:31:34 AM »
With our school vacations once again upon us it was time for me to start into my holidays with a nice little game of LotR. The scenario is quite simple:

A young Aragorn and his great love Arwen have managed to sneak out of Rivendell for some privacy. At long last they stop in an ancient watchtower to enjoy each others presence when they are rudely interrupted by an orc warband out to do some mischief (as orcs are known to do once in a while). Just as the situation gets really serious (we are talking over 40 orcs plus a bunch of wargriders) relief appears:

Halbarad with a handful of Dunedain, who happened to hear the orcish rackett and decided to investigate as well as Elrohir and Elladan, Arwen's brothers, who belief that too much privacy for the two lovebirds might be just a little early in their relationship. They have brought a few Elves along (the area outside of Rivendell just isn't as safe as it was a few thousand years ago...).

Aragorn and Arwen decide to stay in and defend the ruined tower while the orcs want nothing more than to kill either Aragorn or Arwen, who may not leave the tower until one of the relief parties have reached it.

Here are a few photos of the scenario.

Aragorn sees the first horde of orcs approach and opens fire with his bow, slaying one of the orcs (don't ask me why they went to their little rendevouz fully armed...).

Even though Aragorn was quite good with his bow the arrival of a second group of orcs together with the wargriders changed the situation from bad to worse. Already the tower ruins are surrounded by howling fiends.

Just as the two are close to dispair Halbarad...

... and Elrohir and Elladan appear on the scene rushing forward to come to their aid.

Arwen stops the first attack with a blast of magic. Unfortunately she only buys a little time as there are no allies within charge range. Yet her action delays the orcish assault (and she actually blew one orc from the wall he had climbed and he consequently broke his neck).

Halbarad and his Dunedain lay in ambush for the wargriders but are foiled when a few orcs engaged them in close combat.

Halbarad however proved to be a rather deadly adversery proving that a minimum of work can do a maximum of damage...

The carge of the wargs ended in disaster when Elladan slaughtered 6 warriders in just two rounds. Beware Elven ire should you threaten their sisters...

Inside the tower ruins things got tight. Arwen stumbled back, wounded by a foul orcish weapon and as Aragorn could do ran hither and yon to throw the attackers back, slaying a few but never enough to keep Arwen safe.

However, after taking appaling losses at the hand of Halbarad, Elladan and their companions the orcs finally lost heart and one by one they slipped away to flee to their dark caves.

Finally Aragorn and Arwen are rescued and lead back to safety. Aragorn will have to do some really fast explaining to Elrond why his daughter comes back with a sexy-looking but also nasty gash in her shoulder...
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
Re: LotR Scenario report
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 12:38:06 AM »
ABSOLUTELY LOVELY. i love reading lotr reports. + i love the figures, do u use inks alot? cos i want your skin painting method. and the terrain, were is the tower thing from?

TW
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:45:31 AM »
Yes, I practically drown my models in ink. For the skin I use elf flesh (okay, not the GW color but the Vallejo equivalent), use the Pelikan Sepia ink (No.15) on it and then use a mixture of elf flesh and pale sand to higlight skin. Sometimes the pale in pale sand becomes a little too obvious but I rather like the effect.

The tower ruin is from... damn, have to look taht up, wait a sec... Ziterdes or so,ething like that. Forgot the correct spelling.

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:41:39 AM »
Great idea for a scenario, really well thought out. Lovely looking figures and scenery. Thanks for sharing.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »
Yes, fantastic stuff! I also like your painting, especially the colour scheme you devised for the twins. It's so much better than the horrible one GW used.

This is a scenario I will play with my son, as soon as I can find time  :D

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 11:20:07 AM »
Wow ! Nice story.
The Wargs are looking great.
, ,

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »
I've never played LotR, but I'm always surprised in battle reports how closely you can mirror the films by having a named character buzz-sawing their way through a horde of bad guys every turn.

Lovely game by the way, really nice figures and scenery.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 01:53:24 PM »
I've never played LotR, but I'm always surprised in battle reports how closely you can mirror the films by having a named character buzz-sawing their way through a horde of bad guys every turn.

Lovely game by the way, really nice figures and scenery.

Yes, it does a very good job of simulating the "cinematic" style of the films battles. It can be a real sickener, however, when your super-tough hero gets slaughtered by a bunch of lowly Moria Orcs - so it also mirrors events in Tolkiens books when this sort of thing occurs. Great fun!

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »
Superb report with great minis and terrain

keep em coming!
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 05:07:24 PM »
A thoroughly good read, glad aragorn made it through,

Like your painting style stands out well with the scenery.

dodge

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »
I absolutely adore your converted Halbarad - I was planning to do something similar, until the second version of him was released.

What hand/sword did you use?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 12:04:24 PM »
I absolutely adore your converted Halbarad - I was planning to do something similar, until the second version of him was released.

What hand/sword did you use?

Actually the miniature has the same sword already on it. All I did was get rid of the banner and gluing a small GW plastic shield on the left hand. As I never intended to play the siege of Minas Tirith (too many minis - shudder) I never saw the need for this banner.