Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:14:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mick’s Agincourt project (Game 24/11/2021)  (Read 25793 times)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mick’s Agincourt project (update 6th June Lion Rampant AAR)
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 02:20:17 PM »
Sunday 6th June 2015 Lion Rampant AAR

On Friday, I took the day off and set up the table and forces.  At 14.30, I picked up Thomas (AKA Shandy on LAF) from the station.

We played Agincourt twice, using 36 points of English against 74 points of French.  We played Lion Rampant according to the book.  We ignored the zone of control rule for this scenario so that we could have the visual effect of a thin line of English stretching from woodland to woodland.  The ploughed field counted as rough ground and was 6” wide.  The stakes were counted as an obstacle but not as cover against missile attacks.

The English comprised of a line of units behind a ploughed field, with stakes in front of the archers.   There were two units of expert archers on the West, two units of foot men at arms (MAA) in the centre and two expert archers on the East.

The French filled the opposite end of the table.  There were three units of mounted MAA, two of mounted sergeants, two of foot MAA, eight of foot sergeants and two of crossbows.

For the first game, I took the French and Thomas the English.  I tried to mimic the historical battle.  The first attack was two mounted MAA and two mounted sergeants.  One unit of mounted MAA refused to activate, so the English archer had chance of long range shots at the cavalry and already inflicted two casualties before the cavalry moved forward.  The same mounted unit failed to activate again, leaving three units to cross the ploughed field.  As the attack proceeded, the cavalry were annihilated by the archery.  Within a short time, nineteen cavalry had been killed and all four units were destroyed.  The English suffered just two archer casualties.

The second attack was two units of foot sergeants on the wings with two of MAA in the centre.  These were also subjected to withering archery and only one unit of MAA under the Marshall of France reached the English.  The foot sergeants were quickly battered and in both cases failed courage tests after four or five casualties resulting in removal.  The MAA units were very courageous and fought to the last man.    All units were destroyed, after twenty one infantry casualties and two routed units of foot sergeants.  The English had lost three MAA in this attack.

At this point, the French had forty casualties and eight destroyed units.  The English army had taken only five casualties, and every unit was still at full dice.  I conceded defeat.

For the second game, Thomas advanced with foot sergeants followed by crossbows.  The sergeants were destroyed by the archery but the crossbows were close enough to get a shot at the archers.  They caused 5 archer casualties which was the most successful French attach of the day.  Unfortunately the lightly armoured crossbowmen were in the open and were quickly destroyed by the returned fire from two units of expert archers.   Thomas then tried to bring up mounted troops, but they suffered a similar fate as the cavalry in the first game.  Thomas also conceded.

We were both very impressed with Lion Rampant.  The rules are very easy to play and work very well.  The activation brings an element of unpredictability.  

Afterwards, we played two random scenarios from the booklet (H and J) using the standard 24 point French and Later English armies from page 59.  Both of these games were quick and brutal fun.

Mick
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:50:24 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Mick’s Agincourt project (update 7th June Lion Rampant AAR)
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 03:18:04 PM »
Great stuff Mick.  :-* :-* :-*

Purely from a visual perspective, I think that the French men at arms could be padded out- (hope you don't mind me mentioning that?).

Darrell.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »
I will get a couple more units of French Men at Arms.  They are very pretty and are the best thing to get to the English and fight

I am trying to make up my mind as to whether to get more Perry metals or wait for the plastic French Army set.  Metals is most likely as I can have them in a week or so.
I will probably get another 12 foot MAA (AO22 and AO16) and also the metal Cavalry Command AO15.

Next time, I also may make the ploughed field narrower, so that the French cross quicker and have a better chance.

Mick

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 07:28:09 PM »
Thanks for the images Mick! And a big thanks for having me over and providing an afternoon of games - this was great fun!
I'll put up an AAR on my blog some time… gotta get through our house move first  :?

Next time, you could include the French raid on the English camp, as you have suggested… protecting the camp in addition to holding the line might make the English job a bit more challenging  :)

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 09:39:17 PM »
Sounds a lot of fun

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 09:44:32 PM »
Good looking game Mick, and interesting to see Lion Rampant used for set-piece engagement.
Simon.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 06:59:11 PM »
Thank-you for the kind comments.

The project will continue.  I would appreciate feedback and suggestions for improvements.

Figures
I have 92 figures that are partially painted to finish off.  After that, I will probably buy some more command figures and men at arms figures for the French.  I will replace some of the flags to have more consistency of style.

Each unit has a commander who represents a prominent knight.  I would like suggestions of which commanders are important and where were they.  My list has been influenced by the Perry command sets and also the flags that I have found.

I have the following for the French
Cavalry - Count Brabant, Count Vendome, La Hire
Infantry 1st Division – Constable of France, Maigre (Marshal of France), Duke d’Orleans, Duke de Bourbon
Infantry 2nd Division - Count d'Alecon, Count de Nevero, Duke de Bar
Infantry 3rd Division- Count Fauquenberges, Viscount Dinan, Count d’Eu
Crossbow - Rambures, Chatillon

My English commanders are Lord Camoys, Sir Erpingham , Henry V, Oxford (De Vere), Duke of York, Strickland

Bases
Most of my movement trays are for eight figures and Lion Rampant is based on six or twelve.  I will have to buy about twenty more sixes.  I think I will buy these from Warbases.
http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_71&product_id=131

Terrain
The fur mat worked very well but the colour is too bright and even.  I will add some darker greens and beige dry grass colours so that I have a more variable appearance to the grass.  
I will also rework the woodland bases but I am not sure what to do.  I may try to shave the fur in patches and scatter leaves on the ground.  I also want to work on the grass colour.
I will add caulk and sawdust to the roads and ploughed fields so that I have a better texture.
I will buy some more tall Noch trees to make the forest denser.

As I said, your suggestions are appreciated.

Regards

Mick
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:04:45 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 07:16:15 AM »
Slowly emerging from the chaos of house moving, I finally managed to put my AAR of the Agincourt game at Mick's place online: https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2015/07/03/agincourt-with-lion-rampant/

It was a great and memorable game and I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your project here on LAF. If you ever drop by Vienna, shoot me an email!

Cheers
Shandy

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 05:37:40 PM »
Dear Shandy,

Thank-you for the AAR.  The project is continuing. 
I have almost finished painting about 100 figures (some of them we used) for this project.

I hope that I can visit Vienna at some point.

Mick

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 02:44:59 PM »
That's a beautiful game, Mick. Thanks for sharing!

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mick’s Agincourt project (update 10th July Painted French MAA)
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
I have bought and painted some more MAA.

Here are the French unit commanders.  Each one is a named knight who was present at Agincourt with their own  banner bearer.

These are almost finished - I keep spotting areas to improve and repainting bits.
I will add static grass when they are finished.
Mick
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:44:51 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »
Well, that's a lovely colourful collection Mick :)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »
Thank-you

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »
Well that is pretty impressive, keep up the good work.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 06:40:18 AM »
Very nice and colourful  :-*
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/