Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:48:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gloin's Run - yet another LotR Scenario  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Gloin's Run - yet another LotR Scenario
« on: October 12, 2008, 05:46:45 PM »
It looks like I have too much time on hand so I might as well post some more pics, huh?

The idea behind the scenario is quite simple (aren't they all?):
Gloin and other emissaries to the Council of Elrond have reached the foothills of the Misty Mountains. The path snakes through a partially wooded area when the party is discovered and attacked by Goblins. It is of utmost importance that the four emissaries reach Elrond's council alive. The other dwarves in the company are... expandable (well, they are the bodyguards so it is their duty to lay down their lives if need be).

Special rules: the dwarves may not leave the road (only to charge snipers behind some boulders or so). The Goblins roll 2d6 each round to see how many replacements they get (since I don't have more than 30 some Goblins that became necessary). They have unlimited numbers at their disposal. Once the number is established a d6 is rolled for each model to see from which side of the table they enter. A 5 and 6 means they come out of the cave entrance.

The first warning the dwarves recieved were warcries and arrows hissing down from a cliff to their right. Luckily the goblin's skill in archery is less than spectacular - they all missed.

At the same time the first Goblins emerged from their cave a little ways down the road (or should I say up the road...)

The dwarves pushed forward as their business lay beyond the mountains and not with the goblins. These  however started to harass the Dwarves in increasing numbers. The first serious goblin attack upon the four Heroes:

Soon the scirmish turned ugly as the dwarves had to fight for every step forward. By that time the guards were trying to hold of goblins everywhere while Gloin, Gimli, Drar and Barin had to engage the enemy in front of them. Despite being outnumbered they pushed forward, wading through goblin blood.

By the time the dwarves had finally broken through the horde of goblins and made good of their escape all their guards had died despite glorious opposition in the face of a numberless opponent. 9 dwarves had given their lives but lying on the ground were also 48 dead goblins.

Thus ends our tale for now.

A fun scenario and actually quite dramatic. The dwarf heroes needed all their might points in order to keep going so the combat sometimes took a round longer than could be expected from Gimli and the likes. The superior armor of the emissaries really made all the difference. The Goblins actually only managed once to penetrate the mail of these heroes and that wound was saved by a fate point.

The most successful guard was an archer who not only shot two goblins but won three rounds in a row against 6 goblins each time slaying one. I really would have loved him to survive but fate ruled differently. Yet he never thought twice about what he had to do. His sacrifice actually kept off up to ten goblins from charging into the heroes rear and surrounding them.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Gloin's Run - yet another LotR Scenario
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »
Great stuff, I am really enjoying reading your scenarios. Keep 'Em coming :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:45:21 AM »
I hope you continue to have too much spare time, so you can post more stuff.  ;)

Very enjoyable and I am saving your ideas so I can play them some time in the future.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:22:39 AM »
Being a great fan of LotR, playing a lot of Battle Companies, I love to see new scenarios that can be adapted for that paticular playing style. This resembles the 'Hold the Line' scenario from BC, but with a twist. It could be fun to let a BC come up against an unnamed countless horde like this... just like GM'ing a group of adventures who have to complete a specific task... hmmm... you just gave me an idea that I'm probably going to use for a lot of different skirmish-gaming  >:D   ;D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »
And, could we have some sub-section/child board or something for scenarios? It could be difficult to find a specific scenario again... Of course, I can just copy/paste as soon as I find something I like, but it would be nice to be able to browse through the works offered by the members.

Or is it a bad idea?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:36:53 AM »
Maybe when Alex gets back we could ask him to collate them all under a "sticky" in "Other Adventures". Not sure where else they would go.

So long as the posts have the word "scenario" in them somewhere, they should be easy enough to search for, but I suppose there would be a lot of unwanted posts appearing in the search.

I think your idea is a good one, as new scenarios are always welcome and it's usually easy enough to convert them to a specific period or rules set.