Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:15:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I need a.... 28mm Tomoe Gozen...  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: I need a.... 28mm Tomoe Gozen...
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 07:05:33 PM »
But you need a female head with long hair, and a naginata...

:D so I need a female miniature anyway... I need to get the money (actually I need King's to pay me...) and order those expensive kensei...
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Durruti Mike

• Schoolboy
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »
The thing about naginata being associated with female warriors comes from centuries after the Genpei War and was superimposed on the semi-legendary Tomoe in prints and festivals from the 19th century onwards. The Heike Monogatari simply states that she was skilled in the weapons of a mounted warrior of the time - bow and tachi sword:

"Tomoe was especially beautiful, with white skin, long hair, and charming features. She was also a remarkably strong archer, and as a swordswoman she was a warrior worth a thousand, ready to confront a demon or a god, mounted or on foot. She handled unbroken horses with superb skill; she rode unscathed down perilous descents. Whenever a battle was imminent, Yoshinaka sent her out as his first captain, equipped with strong armor, an oversized sword, and a mighty bow; and she performed more deeds of valor than any of his other warriors."

The Heike Monogatari is a war tale as a work of literature and many historians cast doubt on her very existence. However for gaming she is a great asset in what is the classical heroic age of samurai Japan - their equivalent to Homer.

That being said, not sure if you looked at the Old Glory/West Wind offerings I mentioned? The photo isn't too clear and can't vouch for their quality myself but the "Tometa" figures at the top (represented separately on horse and foot) seems to based on the modern conception of her.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:19:54 PM by Durruti Mike »

Offline BlackWidowPilot

• Scientist
  • "Mwahahahahaahaaaaaa!!!"
    • "It's Them! Blast 'Em!"
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 06:08:30 AM »
I would look through the old Clan War models - they were not the most historically accurate, but they may prove useful. Unfortunately, they are also out of production - but they are pretty consistently popping up on ebay.

Actually, they're still with us through Valiant Enterprises:

http://www.veltd.net/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36&zenid=d479d9cc2cee1fb914cf325e295a905f

hope this helps! 8)
Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
www.silent-death.mx

\\\\\\\"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!\\\\\\\" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 08:30:56 PM »

Actually, they're still with us through Valiant Enterprises:

http://www.veltd.net/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36&zenid=d479d9cc2cee1fb914cf325e295a905f

hope this helps! 8)

And while they're moving at a snails place, they've been slowly expanding which ones they have available...you might be able to request some of the others as well if you contact them

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
Reaper does at least one female Samurai on foot.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 08:57:41 PM »
Reaper does at least one female Samurai on foot.

Mika is pretty much a fantasy only samurai with the armor options, to say less about her banner...