Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:44:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Building the Bois des Caures for Partizan updated 27th May  (Read 9795 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
With 9 days to go til Partizan I thought it was high time I started getting the scenery for our game done.  We're hoping to do a small section of the German attack on the French positions in the Bois des Caures on 21st and 22nd February 1916; the start of the Battle of Verdun.

Having now spent a few months reading about the battle, I find the terrain required quite haunting; the shattered woods in particular have grabbed my imagination.  The accounts of the bombardment are, naturally, harrowing, and the destruction in the Bois des Caures was huge and to many soldiers' eyes, unnatural.  I remind myself that the descriptions of Tolkien's Moria probably took shape in the trenches of the Great War.

Anyway, enough waffle, here's some of my inspiration:

Images of the Bois des Caures during the battle:

Quite reminiscent of John Nash's 'Oppy Wood 1917':

The first step was, unsurprisingly, several walks round the woods with the kids, though it's unusual for Dad to bring home quite this many sticks!  After some selective chopping and breaking I ended up with enough wood to make around 50 trees and some stumps.  Armed with the trusty hot glue glue I set about gluing these onto rough bases:

Shell holes have been added from the sheet sold by Early War Minis.  I also used numerous washers and coins to help weight down the trees; in my experience tall trees have a habit of crashing down in an unexpected manner.

Having done all this, I plastered the bases with filler and glued on sand and cork chippings for some extra texture:

Next up: painting.  Brown, brown or brown? ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:51:19 PM by James Morris »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Building the Bois des Caures for Partizan
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 10:58:59 PM »
A nice start. Definitely giving me ideas to get away from the typical trench table.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »
You are off to a good start.
Look forward to what is next.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 01:33:12 AM »
I like this. :) Waiting for more.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 08:16:05 AM »
Indeed. Very interesting and i will watch this one closely. ;-)

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 09:01:06 AM »
Looks great so far!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 09:22:57 AM »
Good start. Love the Nash painting. If you can capture that feeling in your layout, you'll be onto a winner.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 08:31:19 PM »
I'll keep a lookout for it at Partizan.Any idea which hall you'll be in?
Mark.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »
Intriguing start  :)

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 07:29:56 AM »
A lot of John Nash's sketches from WWI have survived James. I've seen them in a gallery but I suspect that seeing as Nash's art is seen as such an icon of WWII in the UK that they may well be worth looking for online.

Just a suggestion old bean  :)

Darrell.

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
Looking good.

Shattered and very convincing.

Hope to see more.

Regards,
Sendak
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 07:11:21 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing this game this weekend  :-*

Darrell.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: Building the Bois des Caures for Partizan updated 26th May
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 09:16:06 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments.  I'm now working on painting up the bases of the trees:

Before and after shot.  The base has been given a rough dry brush over the original brown; shell hole painted in Vallejo Flat Earth, then some black wash applied to add depth, finished off with a coat of brown ink, then finally a coat of yacht varnish.
It's not exactly modelling masterclass but it does look effective en masse.
I also added a few splashes of black wash to the tree and the base to add a bit of variety.

To take a break from the trees, I had a go at some of the vacformed pieces I bought at Salute.  The fortifications in the Bois des Caures were not continuous trench lines, but a network of mutually supporting dugouts and bunkers, so thes eneed doing for the weekend's game anyway.  I wasn't happy with my (rather rushed) paintjob on the Amera bunker that featured in one of Scrivs' battle reports and spent a bit of time trying to get a better finish.  The vacform is cheap, but by its very nature, very smooth, which means you need to put a bit of work into adding texture or painting it on.  I sponged on a couple of highlighting layers and am happier with the result, as well as lining the edge with some black. 

Where I am really struggling here is with the lack of foliage I have committed myself to using - in a usual basing job I'd be adding all kinds of tufts and bushes which add another dimension to the texture.  I may visit Arcane Models tomorrow and see if they have any brown flock and tufts I can add to make myself happier with this.

I do need to remember that these will be appearing under a dusting of snow at the weekend too!

I also had a crack at improving a hill emplacement, again another bargain from Amera.  Like the bunker, I added texture to the groundwork using filler and sand, and raised the level of the emplacement to allow my Hotchkiss team to be able to fire out, before painting.  The sandbags had come out very flat in my initial paint and wash, so I decided to paint them in using layers.  They're slightly cartoony but certainly have more definition now.  Like the bunker, this is waiting for a final layer of flock/weathering/tufts, whatever comes to mind before Sunday!

Coming next will be some other vacformed bits & pieces from Salute; all these I have only textured and undercoated so far.

New from Kallistra, the largest piece in their 'non-hex crater set'.  This is a monster!

Amera's craters:

And a dugout from Early War Miniatures.  This is a thinner plastic than either Amera or Kallistra so it does have more surface detail - the wickerwork seems very appropriate for trenches of this period.

Finally, one more from Amera:

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 11:19:27 PM »
I need some of these. :) I think a little more wash, drybrushing, and flock and these will do the business. :)

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 05:34:50 AM »
For adding texture, would stippling a plastic bunker with tiny amounts of plastic cement melt a concrete texture pattern?