Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:54:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Army Info for the Franco-Mughal Army in the Third Carnatic War  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
  • Ride or Die, KANGARAT MURDER SOCIETY!
Any suggestions?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Army Info for the Franco-Mughal Army in the Third Carnatic War
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 08:50:28 AM »
Probably your best start point for uniforms is the Rene Chartrand authored Osprey Louis XV's Army, Colonial and Naval Troops. It has a section on the French east India Company which has some detail on the composition of the French native troops and a number of uniform illustrations, including one full colour plate.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 01:54:19 AM »
The Rene  Chartrand book is agood start,there is also the Stuart Reid book "To the ends of earth" about France in the colonies,which between the two,it takes alittle digging. I have been painting this conflict for the last seven years,and am still learning as I go. Also if the blog Golconda rising is still around,much I nfo and pictures of painted units.  The main French units were DuBussey's corps-You had three European inf companies  (red),Kerjeans company (blue),the grenadier company (red)and the halfcaste company-Portuguese-indian mix (pink-tan hue). Then his dragoons2 sqdrns and 2 batteries of artillery. A top notch corps. Then the French refular battalions of Lorraine-Cambresis and Irish regt. Lally. Also the battalion Compagnie des Indes -Blue coats. ,plus the many marine garrison companies. Sepoys Nellore  4 comp.'s in Blue and red cuffs,Ponicherry w/ 3 battalions all 3x companys . Yellow,Green and red respectively.,w/red/green bleu cuffs for the yellow batta. 1x color for each comp. Red had yellow green blue cuffs,Green had red /blue and yellow cuffs. there was reg. French art in blue and red and Comp.,des Indes art in red. Also the Isle des Bourbon militia cav,.,,in red coats and black cuffs-3x companies infa red and black cuffs or blue and white gingham. Dubusseys bodyguard was only twelve men red coat black cuffs trimmed in gold.Remember its all about the show in India to impress the princes. I run a India game every year at theSYW con in South Bend Indiana, also the French had thousand s more sepoys in white. any questions feel free to contact me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:17:12 AM by juergen c. olk »

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
  • Ride or Die, KANGARAT MURDER SOCIETY!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads up....beautiful pics btw, I'll take elephants and tricornes anyday.