Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:56:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

?

Defenders of Winterfell (Captain Blood)
Swamp Council (Admiral Benbow)

Author Topic: ROUND 7 Defenders of Winterfell vs Swamp Council  (Read 29808 times)

Offline ahpincis

• Bookworm
  • Harvey
Re: ROUND 7 Defenders of Winterfell vs Swamp Council
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
...I'm collecting miniatures for nearly 40 years now. I really enjoy looking through the heap and envisage little scenes and groups of figures telling kind of a little story. And I have a "workbook" where I noted those combinations or ideas. It's pretty full of never realised plans and projects, but it contains good information when thinking about sets of miniatures for the LPL, for example ...  8)

Therein lies the answer...... or at least one answer.... :) Like the comment to bits anyway!
Dievs, svētī Latviju!

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »
I had some fear, that this match will come. Hard to make a decision. Hope for a tie.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 08:15:32 PM »
Michael, your participation in this LPL have been a treat to follow. Solid output of superbly crafted mini scenes! Thanks for all the eye candy! I dare guess you might go (deservedly) undefeated if you keep this up! To overshadow Richards GOT stuff is no mean feat! A most admirable admiral!  :D
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 09:01:22 PM »
Well, although I sold a lot in the last years, I'm collecting miniatures for nearly 40 years now. I really enjoy looking through the heap and envisage little scenes and groups of figures telling kind of a little story. And I have a "workbook" where I noted those combinations or ideas. It's pretty full of never realised plans and projects, but it contains good information when thinking about sets of miniatures for the LPL, for example ...  8)

Oh goodie, plenty more to come then! Just don't loose that book (unless it is your mind palace, but then again don't lose that either!)!

I'm not sure about the outer right miniature, maybe it's the Asgard miniatures CC3 Hawk Footed Stabber, but maybe it's a Citadel miniature. Perhaps someone out there could bring some light on this?

Looks like something from the dark Crystal to me....  :D

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 09:16:28 PM »
Two most excellent entries indeed. I am glad that I have to compete neither of these.  :D
The choice was hard to choose, but I admit that the swamp bases made the race if nothing else. Sorry Richard!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »
No need to be sorry. I voted for him too. It's a miniature masterpiece :)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »
Are those shields all "different" freehands or did you make some kind of template?

Offline Joao

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 09:29:57 PM »
Both awesome entries!
I am an unconditional fan of swamp-related creatures, so the Swamp Council entry has a special meaning for me. I would love to get my hands on those charismatic models as they are an absolute joy to look at! Shame they are so rare...

Joćo

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 10:18:03 PM »
Are those shields all "different" freehands or did you make some kind of template?

Freehand  :)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 05:18:26 AM »
This is getting silly! How am I meant to choose for a winner between these two entries; both are stunning!

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »
I can't stop looking at the Swamp Council. It's like I can't take in enough of it. Are there more photos of that swamp terrain to be seen anywhere, Admiral Benbow?

The Stark soldiers are brilliant paintjobs too, and well staged with the terrain, but whereas I'm a bit lukewarm to the Game of Thrones theme, the "dark fairytale swamp" theme is right up my alley.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:20:22 AM by Rhoderic »
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 02:55:54 PM »
I can't stop looking at the Swamp Council. It's like I can't take in enough of it. Are there more photos of that swamp terrain to be seen anywhere, Admiral Benbow?

Well, there is no swamp terrain to be seen elsewhere, Rhoderic.  :D

After detailing and finishing the bases of the miniatures, I just took a wooden board I had laying around, painted on 5 or 6 different acrylic greens wet in wet from dark to lighter tones, let it dry 2 hours and put two layers of high gloss varnish on top. 15 minutes working time. Just to have a better surface for the photos. Some wood terrain behind the miniatures, a bit lighting and that was it.

On the bases I tried for the first time a new product, Noch laser cut mini reeds. Very nice stuff, a bit fiddly, but very effective. You can get it from Amazon or moddeling suplies, and here's a direct link to the product:

http://www.noch.de/de/produkt-kategorien/figuren-deko-und-ausschmuckungen-fuer-die-modelleisenbahn-von-noch/laser-cut-minis-zubehoer-fuer-den-modell-landschaftsbau-und-die-modelleisenbahn/laser-cut-minis-bausaetze/pflanzen/schilf-14102.html

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 03:08:02 PM »
Well, there is no swamp terrain to be seen elsewhere, Rhoderic.  :D

After detailing and finishing the bases of the miniatures, I just took a wooden board I had laying around, painted on 5 or 6 different acrylic greens wet in wet from dark to lighter tones, let it dry 2 hours and put two layers of high gloss varnish on top. 15 minutes working time. Just to have a better surface for the photos. Some wood terrain behind the miniatures, a bit lighting and that was it.

I sort of suspected that to be the case (swamp-themed wargames terrain is a particular interest of mine, and I've done a lot of searching and browsing for photos of such over the years), but it's very convincing. Thanks for the inspiration, in regard to both figures and terrain.

Offline Paint Pig

• Librarian
  • one size fits all
    • Paint Pig
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 01:38:17 PM »
This is a very hard call, both beautifully painted, excellent composition and scenery and nice clear photo's.

Congratulations to you both on two very fine entries
must dash, people to be, places to free
Dave

slowly over a low flame
MY FACE BOOK A Small Matter

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 08:02:54 PM »
Well, although I sold a lot in the last years, I'm collecting miniatures for nearly 40 years now. I really enjoy looking through the heap and envisage little scenes and groups of figures telling kind of a little story. And I have a "workbook" where I noted those combinations or ideas. It's pretty full of never realised plans and projects, but it contains good information when thinking about sets of miniatures for the LPL, for example ...  8)

I think so! Here are the (old and rare) minis from left to right:

Asgard miniatures CC2 Many Armed Skulker (Nick Bibby sculpt)
Asgard miniatures CC7 Four Fang (Nick Bibby sculpt)
Ral Partha 11-442 Giant Toad
Grenadier Dragon Turtle, still available here http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=dragon-turtle
I'm not sure about the outer right miniature, maybe it's the Asgard miniatures CC3 Hawk Footed Stabber, but maybe it's a Citadel miniature. Perhaps someone out there could bring some light on this?

Found the outer right miniature by coincidence today:
Stalker from Citadel's Runequest box 7b: Demons
 :)