Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:40:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Small Craft Listing - help?  (Read 10434 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Small Craft Listing - help?
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:47:34 AM »
So, I am asking for help from y'all - do you guys have suggestions for small sci-fi craft, figure 2 to 10 person craft, for either surface travel or surface to space.  I have a few, but mainly I am looking for reasonable cost to expand my sets without getting all crazy.

I know of:

GW Valkyrie
Avengers Quinjet toy (which is as large as I would want to go).
Forge World Arvus Lighter (which I love the look of, but just outright cannot afford once shipping to the US is figured in.  :( )

Can you guys help fill this out?  Toys, models kits, etc?  In an ideal world, maybe we can get this sticky'ed if we get a good list going?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: Small Craft Listing - help?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »
Hmm, let's see:

GI JOE Cobra Gunship

There's even a good thread in here, on how to convert it (with suggestions for more crafts):

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=20614.0

And here's some other thread about small crafts/dropships

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=71240.0

Hope it helps

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 03:42:27 PM »
Revell Star Wars Republic Assault Shuttle.  Scale is 1:100 so glue the boarding ramp shut and paint over the canopy!  Big hunk of plastic and comes ready painted.  The cockpit still looks a squeeze, but I can live with that.

GW Tau Devilfish transport.  Decent sized model and things like the hatches are in the right scale.

Daemonscape do a couple of resin shuttles and a dropship.  A little on the small side.  Company is UK based.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »
Old Crow Models (oldcrowmodels.co.uk) do a couple of decent, though smallish (proper 28mm) aircraft, which were pretty reasonably priced (20 pounds or so) & Mantic have a dropship/gunship due out faily soon, which, knowing them, should also be fairly cheap.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »
Scratchbuild  :D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »
Scratchbuild  :D

One in every crowd...  lol

A look at the GI Joe and Old Crow samples do suggest using a 'copter model, especially 1/35, is an excellent way to start. Yes, they are 'too big', but if you cover/modify the doors and other details, you can go far.

If you can deal with laser-cut wood, have you looked at some of the recent 'Old Mech Guy' posts?

Doug

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »
Look at 1/48 and 1/32 scale helicopters to modify. Many of them are similar in hull shape to expensive SF dropship kits, and you could paint over canopies, or replace in gaming scale as you like. :)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 06:17:42 AM »
I had forgotten the Tau - I have that army, so I will have to go look at that and the Eldar while I am at it.  I use Dark Eldar skiffs for Martian Victorian Sci Fi, so those are out.  I'll have to look at Daemonscape -  and the suggestions about conversions is useful, but Vanvlak can go hang.  ;)

Part of what I am looking for is stuff I *don't* have to build myself.  I have enough of those projects.  What else do we have that is affordable?

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »
Crossover Miniatures are doing a Kickstarter: U.F.O. Squad: Alien Invasion Minis and Skirmish Rules

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/211492152/ufo-squad-alien-invasion-minis-and-skirmish-rules

In this Kickstarter is the Huron Shuttle, is part of the higher pledges but if you ask he may sell you one.  The cargo bay is accessible through section that is removable.   It will hold around 10-12 troopers.

Regards

MMG.
"It's the Fumes I say, the Fumes, those lovely Laser Cut MDF fumes"

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 12:27:33 PM »
I have a Tau Devilfish with the front fins removed (they look silly IMO). Instead I have attached two small resin Battlestar Galactica ships as front thrusters. Looks good as a futuristic VTOL IMO.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »
With the new star wars coming out for Christmas surely there will be some new cool toys before christmas, and surely there will be a host of not star wars toys out there in the discount stores... :D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
What else do we have that is affordable?

You can ask that and accept GW suggestions?  lol

Just teasing; a change of 'flavor' in GW, and the old can be quite 'cheerful.' And, of course, all my 'copter models were clearance items, my GI Joe from thrift stores, garage sales, or someone dumping parts.

Lastly, can't argue with you being busy enough already. Will cogitate further...

Doug
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:10:02 AM by The_Beast »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 02:21:06 AM »
You can ask that and accept GW suggestions?  lol

Just teasing; a change of 'flavor' in GW, and the old can be quite 'cheerful.' And, of course, all my 'copter models were clearance items, my GI Joe from thrift stores, garage sales, or someone dumping parts.

Lastly, can't argue with you being busy enough already. Will cogitate further...

Doug

I have either:
a) already owned from more reasonable times.
or b) Am willing to look on ebay and Bartertown for older models people are trying to dump, especially when editions change and people rage-quit.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »
If you're looking at a budget, I recommend disposable plastic wine/champagne/cocktail glasses for flight stands.  You want the ones where the stem separates near the cup, not at the base - look closely at pictures.  Ebay has loads.  Very solid and cheap too.

Magnet on the top of the stem and base of the model:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:47:21 PM by Momotaro »