Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:29:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690665
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Steel Fist and Perry Sengoku Samurai Size Comparison  (Read 8440 times)

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
  • Ride or Die, KANGARAT MURDER SOCIETY!
Steel Fist and Perry Sengoku Samurai Size Comparison
« on: June 05, 2015, 05:15:28 AM »
Will they work together?

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Re: Steel Fist and Perry Sengoku Samurai Size Comparison
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 06:07:13 AM »
I would say no. I prefer Steel Fist they are a lot chunckie rand are better cast.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 08:21:31 AM »
Steel Fist look good, and while Perry's were around the same level, there's been some issues lately with regard to both shipping issues combined with molds that are wearing out.

One of the things with Steel Fist that would work well is that they would blend in rather well if you're going for larger units as heroes due to the larger side giving them that right feel. They also seem to be slightly more expensive, but you get what you pay for there and their detail makes them more easy to use, early on, for heroes and potentially things like Ronin with the small model count
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:23:39 AM by SotF »

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:50:28 AM »
I would say infantry would work together mounted troops would not, mind you I am not the kind to be easily bothered by scale discrepancy.

I agree with what others say that the casting on steel fist is considerably better than on their Perry counterparts. Yes they are more expensive but the extra price buys a great deal of quality.

What are you looking to play? If its something small like Ronin might be worth going full steel fist. Especially with the new Teppo and Yari Ashigaru coming out off the back of the kickstarer. If however you are looking for a larger force and want to mitigate some of the costs I would recommend using perry for your rank and file and steel fist for your unit leaders. The extra size of the steel fist would make them stand out as leaders.

Anyway onto the size comparisons and you can decide for yourself.

Guy with the big red hoop is steel fist, The rest are perry

Cavlary, Perry on the right and steel fist is the one next to it

Steel fist in the very middle and the unpainted guys either side. Clearly chunkier but to be not so much that I wouldn't use them in the same force.

Offline oliver.japan

• Student
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
I would say no.
+1  :'( :'( :'(

See below a comparison between my HONDA Tadakatsu in Steel Fist version (left) and Perry Miniatures (right):

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 06:05:59 PM »
Thanks, guys. I'm hoping to open a club sometime around late October and wanted the first game to be a very large scale Sengoku battle. Money isn't a big issue but figure quality is: I'm very ok with modding figures but won't have the time to finesse armies that large.

Offline carabus03

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 02:07:04 AM »
I would reccomend Steel Fist as well. There is a review on our blog and some painted versions:

https://telfordwargames.wordpress.com/2015/05/14/samurai-campaign-steel-fist-miniatures-review/

Neil

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 02:37:04 AM »
Carabus, read your review and it's pretty clear Steel Fist is the way to go (the facial detail clinched it). My only concern is the range seems very limited. I considered using Perry for the rank and file but the size contrast, while not ludicrous, is getting on my nerves.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 07:04:16 AM »
It has to be historical correct?
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 08:46:36 AM »
I have to say, all the figures I have purchased from Steel fist are top notch, as good as the perry ones are, the casting is no where near as good as Steel fist, size wise, I have mixed both manufacturers and they look fine, although I do not have any of Steel fist ashigaru

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 01:10:39 PM »
Drachenklinge, yes I'd prefer if they kept to the mid to late 1500s. I understand that conservative traditions in armor and weapons prevailed in certain domains like the (Odawara) Hojo or some of the very minor clans, but for the most part I'd like to keep anachronisms to a minimum.

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 02:00:39 PM »
I see, so that rules out a few companies, I guess, like AssaultGroup or ClanWars.

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 05:31:15 PM »
I am currently working on expanding the range with more low ranking troops, this year should see a lot of new releases out. I often ask my customers what they want to see the most and if you have any suggestions please let me know. Also thanks for All the positive comments on my range.

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »
SteelFist, I know it"s hard to prognosticate the exact ETA on things like this but do you have any idea when your go-kennin and below samurai and ashigaru might become available? I was hoping to place a very substantial order in the relatively near future.

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
The kickstarter stuff including advancing teppo and standing ashigaru should be available from next week, as my kickstarter order is now on its way to me. I also have started two pack of shooting ashigaru which will be released by the end of the summer hopefully sooner.
 plus I am going to make more standing samurai and yumi ashigaru and other things by the end of the year.
Hope this helps