Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Venta de Pantalones - Vistula Lancers  (Read 37938 times)

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: The escalating forces of Marshal Frederick du Pied Douteux.....
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 12:26:17 PM »
Good stuff so far :)

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 10:32:49 PM »
Jump forward 4 years and I’ve managed.....absolutely nothing. 😔

My mate Brian managed a couple of Brigades of Austrian infantry and therefore shows me up.  I’m a loser! 😩

Meanwhile I have now moved house to south Warwickshire.  Without a regular gaming partner, I think the chances of me doing more 40k is very unlikely.  Hopefully he will come and stay at some point so I think I want to use the time I have getting back to these chaps.  It will be hard as I have an erratic  interest threshold.

Looking at Black Powder, it would seem I need to eventually paint a lot of foot regiments.  I want to field lots of artillery but it looks like I can only have one line foot artillery battery for every six foot battalions.  Not sure if that means I have to paint 12 battalions before I can field two batteries, seems excessive!  Still, I may adopt two models representing a battery...

Going to start small.

An army needs a commander, so I’ve just dug out three figures to pop on a command base.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2019, 12:02:42 AM »
Looking at Black Powder, it would seem I need to eventually paint a lot of foot regiments.  I want to field lots of artillery but it looks like I can only have one line foot artillery battery for every six foot battalions.  Not sure if that means I have to paint 12 battalions before I can field two batteries, seems excessive!

Not excessive, merely historical  ;)

And that's not just Black Powder : one foot battery of eight guns (six 8 or 6 pdrs and two howitzers) per infantry brigade of six battalions (and thus two batteries per division) was pretty much the standard artillery allotment in the French army.

There were variations of course : during the 1812 Russian campaign, the five infantry divisions of Davout's first corps each comprised fifteen infantry battalions divided into three brigades/regiments of five battalions. Each division was supported by one foot and one horse artillery battery in addition to the regimental guns attached to the infantry regiments (four 4 pdrs per regiment, organized in two sections of two guns each).

The army of Germany's divisions had a very similar structure during the 1809 Danube campaign, except that the 15 battalions in each division (organised into five 3-battalion regiments) were supported by two foot and one horse batteries, i.e a total of 22 guns (8 per foot battery and six for the horse battery). Allowing the infantry more than that would probably unbalance your games and turn them into gunfests that would feel more like WW1 than the napoleonic era..

If you really must have more guns, then add a 12 pdr reserve battery to your division : these heavier guns were normally corps assets but could be used to support a corps' components if circumstances called for it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:05:29 AM by Arthur »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 08:06:52 AM »
Thanks Arthur.  I think my main issue is, I bought eight line guns when I first started collecting the figures together and I do like the look of them!

I can use two per battery (therefore I can depict half batteries with one gun) but my specific question I suppose is, as it states I can have one battery for every 6 foot battalions, if I had say 8 battalions, could I field two batteries or do I have to keep going to 12 before I can put on my second battery?

I think.....as it is a game between mates, it doesn’t really matter. It I don’t want to. Icky it too much.

Scrubber

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 07:23:46 PM »
I just need to post one painted regiment to win. 😉

PS I’m the Brian.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 08:14:46 PM »
Arrrggghhhh!  The fondue eaters are here!

Well met Von Hardup!

Scrubber

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 08:33:06 PM »
Baron Wilhelm Von Scrubber if you please.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 11:03:07 AM »
Ok so I’ve made up my proposed army based loosely on that fielded at Albuera.  As you can see I may want to fight Austrians too so I may have a regiment or two of cuirassiers up my sleeve too!   I’m using a mixture of uniforms though so don’t crucify me please!  As most infantry will be in great coats it won’t be overly prominent.  I simply can’t afford to to paint two armies!

Nb. All infantry stands below are 6 figures and cavalry are two figures.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 12:11:51 PM by Digits »

Scrubber

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 01:34:15 PM »
You asked for picture. One of two brigades.
Question. If you are basing your regiments on 4 stand, are my Austrian to large now at 8 stands per regiment.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 02:32:51 PM »
Not really.....they had BIG battalions!

Offline gustav

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2019, 11:01:40 AM »
Digits
you are so not the only one - to my horror I posted on this thread back in 2015 and my hussars are still on my painting desk - eeek !
 :o
 o_o
 lol

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »
The I urge you to take up the challenge with me and paint those fellas!

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2019, 07:34:32 PM »
This weekend will be solid painting.  I’ve dug out a few brigade commanders to paint at the same time.

I’m also doing a little gaming admin.  I put these infantry casualty markers together a while back.  I just ordered a set of Perry Dutch/ Belgian cavalry casualties which should give me another four markers.  I also have a few spare plastic horses, and a couple of dismounted dragoon left so I will tinker with those and a little green stuff to build a few more.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »
I am painting!  Hopefully ready to post up tomorrow.....however, the postman distracted me.  I already have a dozen Chasseurs a Cheval in lead waiting to be painted....but when I saw the free Marbot figure if you buy three boxes of plastic Chasseurs, well, I decided he’d make an excellent Colonel leading his men into the charge.

Of course I now have enough unpainted Chasseurs for FOUR units!

Half an hour later I had cleaned him up and made up the first three plastic figures.  I will paint these as the 5th regiment and as I will make this a large unit I have decided to give them an eagle.  They don’t come in the box as the light cavalry were ordered to put them into safe keeping and not carry them on campaign. 

I figured with such a flamboyant chap leading the charge, he looks the type to flaunt the order and have his eagle close (some did apparently) I had a spare from my dragoon boxes so a quick swap was all that was needed.

Anyway, enough distraction......back to the painting..........

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:29:50 PM by Digits »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 12:53:34 AM »
I ALMOST did it!

Just realised I missed the folded musket slings and of course I need to sand the bases.....but I decided not to do a Marshal, but a regiment of Dragoons.  Tbh I’d already painted the horses but I’m made up at having done the riders this weekend.  Better pictures once sanded.

Flag arriving later this week I think.

And I couldn’t help myself so I built the rest of the Chasseur regiment and the missing riders from the second dragoon regiment.  As this will also be a pink facing regiment, I need to paint over the red decoration on their sheepskins!    I want to paint the Chasseurs.....but my head says stick with the dragons, the horses are finished and the second batch of riders should get a little easier.  Plus I will have finished one division except for the attached horse battery.

The light division needs a second Chasseur regiment....

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:19:00 PM by Digits »