Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Venta de Pantalones - Vistula Lancers  (Read 37931 times)

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Digits builds Napoleonic French Army - 1st painted Infantry!
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2019, 05:19:16 PM »
I agree Oshi....it does look a little daunting 😳

Cheers James.  If I learn anymore....I will let you know!

I think I’ve about decided what to do next.....I think I will set about the next dragoon regiment and close out one heavy horse brigade...

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2019, 05:48:26 PM »
45 x 40, then? :D

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2019, 06:03:30 PM »
Indeed on the 36 man unit but 40 x 40 on the 24 man. 😶

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »
Very nice work. I really like those properly-sized battalions/squadrons, as well as all that proper planning you put into this massive project. Guess it's the best approach on a thing the size of this.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2019, 08:26:23 PM »
They are very nicely painted, and the basing style complements them.

Congrats on the progress but, I think they should all be on 45 wide and you should swallow the bitter four base pill. The 45s look so much better.

I wonder if, like me, you'll end up re-basing the six 40s onto four 45s at some point. If you think you might, my advice is to do it ASAP, before the numbers increase. I waited too long and had to re-base 568 of 'em. It took two whole days, an entire weekend I'm not getting back!

my thoughts at the time are here, the blog post is called "When you're in a hole......":

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2018/10/when-youre-in-hole.html

You will, I suspect, go your own way and all power to your elbow for that. However, I'll bet you a pound to a penny, if you still have the collection in five years, you will have gone all 45s or all 40s.

Note that this wasn't the last basing change I made. I later printed the name plate on brown paper and textured the 'pin plate' the same as the base. Name plates are common enough, the pin plates (for information beads) aren't so much. They are not to everyone's taste but we don't use roster sheets here.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:40:29 PM by olicana »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »
It’s quite possible you may be correct mate, but I’m happy with my choice.  Maybe  my years as a musket officer calling for close order, open order, closest order etc has numbed me against worrying if they should all look identical.  As you say, we all find what works for us.  You obviously have more experience playing this type of game than I do, and you’ve also found your ideal way to play / base that suits your style.

My style in any game is “rule of cool” (to my eye at least) and I have never confiormed to any one way of doing things without trying out my own individuality.  I would typically rather work with flawed or weakened units and learn to overcome those weaknesses in order to field something that looks good.  One or two guys on here know me from other forums and genres / game systems and would probably vouch for that.  To be fair though, none of those games involved ranking up figures in this manner so I could have bitten off a shit sandwich!

However, there is one thing I do know.....I have never paint stripped a figure, and VERY rarely recycled one, I’m a little anal that way and it takes me toooo long to paint figures....one they are based....I think they will stay based 😏

Thanks for the encouragement though and thanks for the debate, it has definitely helped me open my eyes to other ways of doing things.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2019, 08:05:20 AM »
However, there is one thing I do know.....I have never paint stripped a figure,

Me neither, if I paint figures they stay painted. If I no longer need the figures, I sell them to buy more new clean ones.

Re-basing, on the other hand is something I have done. I've re-based my Italian Wars collection twice now (now all on 45 wides), re-based my SYW once (when I upgraded all of the 16 man infantry units to 24s - about 70 units of them - and shifted all 140+ units onto 45 wides) and sometimes think about re-basing my 2nd Punic War collection onto smaller bases (currently on 60 wides) to do To The Strongest games on a smaller grid - but, that's another big collection
(2000+ figures) and it feels like a very daunting undertaking.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:06:58 AM by olicana »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »
How do you base yours?  I cover mine in a layer of pva and sand.  A bit of a bugger to cut them out, especially with most being plastic.  Metal would be a little easier I feel.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2019, 01:52:24 PM »
These days I base on 2mm MDF. PVA glue textured with a mixture of sand and various grits (including the marvellous man made pink cat litter from tescos, which looks like small rocks).

All done in a similar manner to this:

https://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-i-base-15mm-for-western-desert.html

All mine are metal. The thing that puts me off re-basing my Punic Wars stuff is that it's all based on 4 mm plywood and I can't remember how I glued the figures down. That, and there are this many -

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »
Yup....that would give anyone pause for thought! 🤔

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2019, 03:19:20 PM »
WOOOOHOOOOOO!

Happy as a pig in muck!  💩🐷💩

I thought I’d lost this model in the move but I just found it whilst combing boxes for something else!

At least I don’t have to pay nearly £359 to replace it......very disappointing to see Grand Manner ONLY selling painted models.....what the hell is that about?!!!   His painting may be ok, but I think it a little...arrogant.....not to let people paint their own? 

Anyway, my painting may not be to his standard but I’m glad not to have to bankrupt myself first!  Saying that, I won’t be able to afford to add to it 😕

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »
There are other Mediterranean buildings available, & that ignores scratch building.
Both well less than £359.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2019, 07:43:31 PM »
It's a nice piece, if you paint that next it will give me a chance to catch up with some units....
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
Really?  You are better asking me to paint infantry......a building is only one maybe two nights work.....a unit of infantry nearly a month! Lol

I’m sure he knows his business model but he can’t be selling many....

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #89 on: December 25, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »
Taking a little break as I work on my jungle, but Xmas brings me three boxes of the new Perry French Infantry.  Not sure if the mounted colonel is unique to buying three boxes or an earlier model, none the less a welcome addition.  First impression on the boxes....hugely detailed and varied painting / uniform plates....I owe one to Vodkafan....and lots of detailed prices. 

BUT....I wasn’t expecting so much flash!   It’s the annoying type...fine flash on fine pieces....difficult to scrape off.   Going to take an age to build them!