Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:16:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689704
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 733
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: June Terrain Projects. Update 6/16: Chem Facility and Smelter  (Read 4580 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Just finished up  2 Cyberpunk buildings made by combining Mantic Battlezone panels and Dust Warzone Tenements.  I've previously built a bunch of structures based on the Warzone Tenement kits, but this combination really brings them further into sci-fi.
Lots of pics and construction kits hints here:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2015/06/dust-tenements-mantic-battlezones.html
A few teasers to get you interested.  I really think you're going to want to read the whole post...

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:28:09 PM by eilif »

Offline Germy

• Scientist
    • Germy.co.uk
Re: "Dust" Buildings +Battlezone Panels + Cyberpunk!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 04:27:21 PM »
Very good use of those kits, reminded me of the Dune film in style  8)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »
Wow, that works! I can practically hear the Blade Runner soundtrack in my head! The colours are just right, too.

Sometimes I'm a bit standoffish to plastic terrain kits on the basis that everyone ends up having the same terrain (Citadel Realm of Battle gameboard, I'm looking at you!), but this... this is innovative and surprisingly effective. A good idea well executed.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »
Thanks Germy.

Wow, that works! I can practically hear the Blade Runner soundtrack in my head! The colours are just right, too.

Sometimes I'm a bit standoffish to plastic terrain kits on the basis that everyone ends up having the same terrain (Citadel Realm of Battle gameboard, I'm looking at you!), but this... this is innovative and surprisingly effective. A good idea well executed.
I very much agree about many terrain kits, especially many of the GW kits that can only be used a few different ways. However, multipart building-kits like these and the pegasus hobbies line of terrain (gothic, platformer, chemical plant, etc) are ripe for kitbashing and customizing.  If you haven't seen it yet, I previously used Dust Tactics Buildings to make 7 structures.  Not quite as original as these, but I think I managed to keep things from looking too samey.
In Progress:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2015/01/getting-most-from-dust-tactics-tenement.html
Finished results:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2015/01/fully-painted-dust-tactics-warzone.html

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 07:01:24 PM »
I have seen them, yes, although I hadn't registered who made them first time around. They can certainly bear another viewing  :)

I have one of the Pegasus hobbies platformer sets, cut up into a million pieces for other terrain projects. I forgot there was a chemical plant set as well - I'll have to get one of those, now.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 07:08:31 PM »
I have one of the Pegasus hobbies platformer sets, cut up into a million pieces for other terrain projects. I forgot there was a chemical plant set as well - I'll have to get one of those, now.

If you can find a Chemical plant, get one fast!  Last I heard Pegasus was out of stock and possibly having trouble ordering more from "Tehnolog" the Russian company that manufactures them.  Airfix might also have sold the kit for a while, though I don't know. I know that for a while they carried the "Platformer" and Hexagon" kits along with the the Robogear line.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »
If you can find a Chemical plant, get one fast!  Last I heard Pegasus was out of stock and possibly having trouble ordering more from "Tehnolog" the Russian company that manufactures them.

Ah. Well. Will keep a look-out but adjust my expectations, then. Thanks for the heads-up.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 07:38:37 PM »
Really most interesting! Clever use of pieces, thumbs up!!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »
I like those
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: "Dust" Buildings +Battlezone Panels = Cyberpunk!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 08:32:08 PM »
Inspired stuff!

One of my complaints about the Mantic Battlezones is how "samey" they start to look, but you've really mixed them in well here.

I can see how much work you've put into these to break up the modular look - covering the connector holes, adding little rivets round the window in the last picture.

Excellent!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 08:48:26 PM »
Thanks for the high praise folks,

Motomaro
As for the riveted corners, they're actually part of the hatch/window!  The whole piece is a "Hexagon" system panel that I clipped the connection points out of.  The connection points on hexagon panels are where the clips attach and are real visual give-aways to their origin. However, if you clip them out, it looks instead like a panel with riveted, reinforced edge sections.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:57:11 PM by eilif »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 08:55:49 PM »
Oh man that is HOT HOT HOT! Love this Bladerunner style. It works very well and it is pure hardcore Cyberpunk. Pure win.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 08:06:26 AM »
They look fantastic! I too have been a bit relucant regarding plastic terrain for some the reason mentioned, but your results have got me to wonder and look a bit harder - top class work!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 05:57:41 PM »
My second June Terrain project.
A resale shop "Rokenbok" playset provided me with the basis for two more industrial terrain pieces.
More pics, WIPs, and process here:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2015/06/rokenbok-terrain-bonanza.html#comment-form

A Storage Tank

A Gravel Elevator

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
That's me green with envy, then. Really have to start checking toy stores for stuff to use.

And I've said it before, but the colours you use are really hitting the sweet spot. There's a sense of neon light-suffused nighttime about those shades and hues.