Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686506
  • Total Topics: 118106
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: June Terrain Projects. Update 6/16: Chem Facility and Smelter  (Read 4556 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Thanks!

Do you have thrift/charity/resale shops in Sweden?  That's where I find nearly all my terrain asside from some of the kits (Dust and Mantic).  Broken toys or those missing pieces usually go for pennies on the dollar and can be an excellent starting point for terrain.

As for the paint, I love your description, but can't claim that I intentionally did it.  The fast washes and drybrushes do result in a certain warmth though.  One neat thing I stumbled across the Elevator section and the legs of the tank are ruddy brown primer with aluminum drybrushed and tan drybrushed across that. It's a fast way to get a finish that's not overly rusty in a literal sense (no orange for example), but still suggestive of wear and corrosion. 

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Thanks!

Do you have thrift/charity/resale shops in Sweden?  That's where I find nearly all my terrain asside from some of the kits (Dust and Mantic).  Broken toys or those missing pieces usually go for pennies on the dollar and can be an excellent starting point for terrain.

We do have some. Will have to start checking those as well, although from experience I don't seem to have the knack for turning cheap plastic junk into good-looking terrain. But I'll keep at it. Thanks again for the tip.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
No Problem.
        If you find something that you think has potential, but aren't sure, feel free to post it up here and we'll see what we can do.  As you suggest the initial conversion can often be the hardest part.  Once you get the core of the piece done it's often just a matter of greebling and once you prime it it's almost like magic happens and the disparate elements become one unit.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
More buildings from toys and junk to show today.  A multi-level chemical facility from a plastic egg box and a smelter from a Creepy Crawlers molding toy.
More Pics, WIP and details here:
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2015/06/more-toybashing-creepy-crawlers-and-egg.html