Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:01:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690553
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Casting" surface texture in PVA glue?  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: "Casting" surface texture in PVA glue?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 03:06:04 PM »
Regarding the Amera stonework, that's interesting to hear. The only kind of plasticard I've encountered so far is of a stiffer kind. But keep in mind that a plain stonework/brick pattern won't look right when bent around a corner. Two sides of the stone/brick need to be exposed. My idea was to cast strips with "extra long bricks" to bend around the corners.

Does latex dry faster than PVA glue? If so I'd gladly switch to that instead.

I'd not thought about simply making the moulds out of plaster. There'd be no undercut so presuming the latex or PVA can be easily peeled off from the plaster in one piece, I might go for that too.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 04:07:29 PM »
yeah that's the problem with bending, i used mine as a basis for adobe buildings so it wasn't an issue for me.
extra long bricks might just work great :)

I'm rather interested in seeing how this turns out, it's something i've been thinking of myself too o_o

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 07:01:14 PM »

Does latex dry faster than PVA glue? If so I'd gladly switch to that instead.

Definately. Latex is great when  applied in a thickish layer. Put the cast under a 60watt lamp to speed up the setting process. If you do 2 or 3 layers it will be easily robust enough to be applied as texture. A word of advice though, dont put it on too thick or pour it as this will increase the drying time by many hours!

PVA is supposed to be used as a glue, so has really annoying bonding properties, plus it sets wierdly sometimes, and will shrink unevenly and generally big a great pain in the back side to model with.

LARP weapons are painted with latex, and they can take quite a beating, so I think it will work for what you want. My friend made an excellent cover for a book of the hobbit he gave to his brother. He made and painted up a reflief of golum's face out of latex. It worked really well, and he just painted it with acryllics.

You should definately experiment with mixing paint into the liquid latex. Ive never tried it but it sounds like a good plan...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:03:22 PM by Ramshackle_Curtis »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »
Check your paints first though. Some paints affect the strength and drying times of latex massively! Off the top of my head I can't remember what effect acrylics have.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:37 AM »
Why not use latex for the final piece?

I was about to suggest that, too. Liquid latex is not as cheap as white glue, but I think the final result will be better.

If you do a silicone mould and then use latex for the brick pattern you should be fine (I think).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84